Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shot out JD

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 09:21 AM
06 flstfise
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default shot out JD

I just wanted to pass on my recent issue and fix with my shot gun. I was on a 3700 mile 10 day trip that included a stop in Sturgis, Yellowstone and Montana. While in Sturgis I did see that JD was set up downtown and thought about stoping and talking to him about a possible leak down problem I thought I may be having. I was in the lane furthest from him and it was hot and I was not completely convinced that it was leaking down so I decided to continue on. Well fast forward two days later and I am in Yellowstone and now realize that it is for sure leaking down as the fatcat started to drag in corners. So I call JD and see if he could get me a new asap as I was only half way through my trip. He did one better and offered to drive out to Yellowstone which would have been just shy of a 1000 miles out of his way to fix my bike. After finding out how far out of his way it was it was decided to overnight the shock to my next location and I would reinstall it as I put the first two on. I just want everyone to know what kind of customer service JD offers up. Just wish every company I dealt with was this great. JD you truly do have the best customer service out there today. Thanks again.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:26 AM
2010Deluxeguy
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

the question is, when is he going to get his product to where it doesnt leak? For close to $1500, Id like to install it and forget it, not replace it every 2 years even if its replaced for free. You still have to do the labor yourself every 2 years...no thanks

Old 08-26-2012, 09:34 AM
06 flstfise
Road Captain

Originally Posted by 2010Deluxeguy
the question is, when is he going to get his product to where it doesnt leak? For close to $1500, Id like to install it and forget it, not replace it every 2 years even if its replaced for free. You still have to do the labor yourself every 2 years...no thanks

I have same concern but after talking with him he has beefed up the bushings even more which he said should fix the problem hopefully. I did get the last one on and off in 30 min so no big deal to me.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:51 AM
Ash16
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine was about 4 years old before I started having any problems and JD went above and beyond to take care of it. Replacing the shock unit is only 4 bolts by the way. It doesn't take much more time to replace it than it does to routinely check it or any of the other parts that you are supposed to be checking torque on. I have spent over $1500 on items with warranties before only to have the manufacturer use every excuse to try to get out of it and make it a hassle when you try and collect on it. Not so with JD. It's good to deal with someone who really stands behind his product.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:28 AM
J.D.1
Former Sponsor
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Good question

Originally Posted by 2010Deluxeguy
You are completely right , the shotgunshock should not have to be replaced and that's why we warranty for life. The problems have all been fixed since the last upgrade about a year ago. The technology we use has been in development for over 10 years and the challenge was to seal the rods on a one piece shock body that was subject to some lateral movement. Small number of bikes seemed to be harder on the seals, resulting in seal damage and slow leak. This problem has been solved by a new seal and bushing design and we are confident that the shotgunshock should easily last 50,000 to 100,000 miles and is then easily rebuildable. Thanks to all our friends on HDF.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:37 AM
eastlozHD
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

JD is the man!! Love my shock. Sharpy says waz up JD!!?

Old 08-26-2012, 10:46 AM
t stone
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

flstfise, When I read your title "shot out JD" I wasnt sure you were going to say possative things about JD. Im glad to see I was wrong. JD is a standup guy for sure. He stands behind his product better than anyone. Thanks again JD.

Stone

Old 08-26-2012, 11:07 AM
06 flstfise
Road Captain

Originally Posted by t stone
flstfise, When I read your title "shot out JD" I wasnt sure you were going to say possative things about JD. Im glad to see I was wrong. JD is a standup guy for sure. He stands behind his product better than anyone. Thanks again JD.

Stone

Yeah did not proof read the title. Shout out is what I meant. oh well

Old 08-26-2012, 11:42 AM
razorback84
Road Master

I have to say that I had a problem with the Shotgun on my Night Train and JD sent out a replacement the same day I called. I ordered one for my Lux! Great customer service is hard to find!!!

Old 08-26-2012, 11:53 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

There is 1 thing out there that is better the the Shotgun shock itself and that is JD's service. I am like 1 of the other people here who added a reply to this thread. I have spent money before on a number of other things that have gone to crap. I then called to get the problem resolved or get the part replaced only to have the people do everything shy of laughing in your face when you ask for a refund or a replacment. Heck, Harley themselves have stiffed me many of times! I love my Shotgun shock and with all I have done to my bike it is my favorite mod. I went to a biker pig roast yesterday and I had people standing around my bike as I demoed it for them. 1 good looking lady told her B/F she would no longer be riding on the back of his bike until he got that shotgun on his bike. That speaks volumes. I have no worries about my system. I ride it, use it, play with it and show it and IF it goes bad I am not worried one bit about getting it fixed or replaced, none what so ever! Good job, great product and top notch service JD.

Quick Reply: shot out JD