Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exile parts on order for 2012 fatboy lo

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 06:41 AM
Levizab
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exile parts on order for 2012 fatboy lo

whats up guys....I'm new to the forums. I've been reading some posts on some foot clutch jockey shift conversions so I thought I'd add my latest project. I have a 2012 fatboy lo and I just ordered some goodies from Russell at Exile Cycles. I ordered their forward control kit set up for a foot clutch, their hand shift kit with line lock and an integrated brake set up. I'm working on eventually cleaning up the bars but Russell was telling me that the grip ace system they sell doesn't work on 2012 models. Any ideas for getting rid of the switch housings?

Levi

Old 09-16-2012, 07:20 AM
Zedrx
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome from right around the corner.

Old 09-16-2012, 08:05 AM
jreichart
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Love the exile stuff, used their cable on my foot clutch setup. I'm running the grip ace, and it's the cleanest setup that I know of, but there are some companies making low profile switch setups. I think Joker makes a system, as well as a couple others. Ive also installed their internal throttle. Great quality piece, no issues with it at all. Russels a straight shooter, always amazed that every time I called, he answered the phone. Never tried to push me to buy something, but made sure that all the parts I was planning on using would work together. Good luck with the setup, and post up some pics of the progress!

Always wondered what the "line lock" does, never could find a description of its function on their site...

Old 09-16-2012, 08:35 AM
jreichart
Road Warrior

When you say integrated brake setup, do you mean the balancer that combines the front and rear brakes to the foot pedal? If so, sounds kinda sketchy at stops with the foot clutch, guess that's where the line lock comes in. How does it all work, would love to get the brake off my bars....

Old 09-16-2012, 09:45 AM
DirtyThirty
Cruiser

I don't know if it's the same for a motorcycle, but a line lock on a car is basically a valve (probably the wrong word/part but I'm tired) that holds pressure on the front brake system until it's released. This is used for drag racing to be able to take the foot off the brakes and put it on the gas for a better launch. Also useful for manual transmission cars when parked on a hill from what I've read about them. At least in my current I'm to tired to look it up state that's what I think of when I see line lock.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:12 AM
Levizab
1st Gear

The line lock is a momentary switch that holds pressure on the brakes allowing you to take your right foot off the brakes and not roll back on hills. I'm going try it out least....going to leave the front brake lever alone for a little bit while I learn the foot clutch/ jockey shift. The integrated brakes kit is basically just a bigger volume m/c using a double banjo bolt to supply the calipers. Everything runs off the foot pedal ( which is where the line lock is necessary) I will get some pics of the current set up loaded soon....the rest may take a little while as I got suckered into coming to puerto rico for a job and only get to go home once month for a long weekend.

Almost forgot, I agree jreichart about Russell seems like straight shooter, no pressure, just wants to make sure the setup is correct guy....if I can come up with something to get rid of the switch housings I'll definitely be ordering the internal throttle from him

Old 09-16-2012, 10:25 AM
jreichart
Road Warrior

Try giving the guys at grip ace a call. They are pretty stand up as well, and might be able to tell you if there is something in the works for the newer bikes. I think the owner answers the phone over there also.

So I assume there is a solenoid of some kind involved with the line lock? And does it disengage automatically upon acceleration? The only thing that worries me about having all the brakes on the foot is accidentally dropping the clutch and not having a brake to grab. It's happened a couple times to me, foot slipped off the clutch. I now make it a habit of keeping a handful of front brake until controlled forward momentum has been achieved.

I've been drooling over the exile open primary, such a clean setup. Just can't seem to scrounge up that kind of cash! Good luck with the mods, and keep us posted on the progress!

John.

Old 09-16-2012, 08:32 PM
jreichart
Road Warrior

The more i think about it, having all the brakes on the foot still seems sketchy to me. I assume the line lock is only engaged after coming to a complete stop, so you still need to achieve a complete stop with both feet on the pegs. Dropping it in neutral is an option, but not always possible in panic stop situations. The more I think about, I'll keep my front brake on the bars. Got the line internal, and the mc doesn't look all that bad. Let us know how it all works out!

Old 09-22-2012, 08:45 AM
Levizab
1st Gear

Been drooling over their open primary too ... That might be the next mod after im done with the bars

Old 11-24-2012, 06:10 PM
Levizab
1st Gear

Finally made it home and went to go to work on the fatboy and realized the forward controls don't have any provisions for the kickstand. I'm only in town for one more day so no time to fab a clamp on bracket. Think at this point if I gotta order a kickstand from exile that I'm gunna pull the trigger on the open primary too and just do all the work at once. The parts from exile are top quality.

Quick Reply: Exile parts on order for 2012 fatboy lo