Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crazy Monster Build thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 07:13 PM
CaptainMorgan_SOS
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dig it! What about a sport bike front end as well and some clip-on bars?? I think leaving alot of the bare aluminum/brass out like that would give it a seriously edgy/industrial/bad *** look!

So are you going to mount up the suspension from the end of the swingarm with some tabs welded onto it and then mount the other end of the shocks up to the fender struts (almost like the 750) or am I seriously out of my mind in thinking that could work and/or not look like ****?

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't notice you already said drag bars and you are already working on what you are doing for the suspension. I'm like a little kid with these things, I like to look at the pictures and not read everything before I have questions.

Last edited by CaptainMorgan_SOS; 09-18-2012 at 07:15 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:38 PM
ctluba
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

No worries capt, the bike is going to run a mono shock set up. I am just hoping to make the CBR swinger work so I dont have to build the top shock mount. The bottom shock mount is a pretty simple affair, basically just a shackle.

The front end is already on the way. I will mock it up when it arrives also, later in the week.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:41 PM
ctluba
Road Captain

Originally Posted by CaptainMorgan_SOS
seriously edgy/industrial/bad *** look! .

You are on the right path!!!

Old 09-18-2012, 08:13 PM
redmosquito1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should look into running a single sided swing arm. Triumph used and uses one on the sprint, Daytona 955, and the speed triples. Or a Duc swinger to keep the v-twin vibe going.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:32 PM
ctluba
Road Captain

I checked into a bunch of single sided arms and they were pretty expensive and the wheels and all the other parts arnt cheap either. The gixxer arms are as cheap as 25 bucks!!! The wheels, brakes, axles, shocks and all the other parts are plentiful and cheap as well. I am not trying to cheap out on the build, but when you spend big money on parts and there is no saying that they will work, it gets a bit risky.

I may already be in trouble with the CBR swinger, and I bought a wheel, caliper, sprocket as well. If it doesnt work I have to try to sell this stuff and who knows how long I will be sittin on it.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:34 AM
ctluba
Road Captain

I need some harley guys to sound off here. How much can you offset the front sprocket before you have to start talking about spacing the primary, which I dont want to even think about. The gixxer arm probably would require no, or minimal offset. I really want to give the CBR arm a try simply for the top shock tower and the "trick factor". But just eyeing it up, it looks like the front sprocket would have to come out about 1/2" or maybe even 1" with the CBR arm. I would think a half inch is a lot, I would think 1" is probably not do-able or reccomended.

Thanx for any input.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:50 AM
Scudda
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,211 Likes on 941 Posts

I have to keep on eye on this! Great start!!

Old 09-20-2012, 07:38 AM
ctluba
Road Captain

Pullin off the primary today. I have a couple of offset sprockets to check chain run / alignment with.

If the 1000RR swinger is too far off I just became aware that the 600RR swinger is the same design, with the top shock mount being part of the arm. The difference is the 600RR swinger is narrower and should be a good fit like the gixxer arm.

Once I get this rear end sorted I can take my measurements and get to the machine shop for spacers etc. Front end should be in today or at least by the weekend. I can get the triples sent out for the stem swap. This thing may be a roller in two weeks if things go well!!!

Old 09-20-2012, 07:01 PM
ctluba
Road Captain

So I pulled the primary off today with the help of a buddy who has done a few. What a pain in the ***!!! But we did get it off.
I put an offset sprocket on the front and the chain line looked pretty good. This is just all very loose "eye ball" estimates as the swinger is just mocked in there very loosely. The good news is that the "tear down" phase of the project is done. From here on it will be measuring, having parts (bushings, spacers etc) made and putting things back together. I am going to have to go very slow and get this rear end right. I have been referred to a local guy from my home town who is a real pro when it comes to building and fabbing on harleys. I am going to bring my triple to him for the stem swap and then show him a bunch of pics of my swinger set up and see if he can give me some guidance. These bikes are way harder to work for sure. The whole primary set up and all that crap is a real pain!!

Old 09-21-2012, 01:16 PM
ctluba
Road Captain

Hey guys, is there a trick to removing hidden wires to the controls on the handle bars. I dont want to cut the wires and then find out there is some kind of plug!!!

I opened up the controls and I cant really see how to unhook the wires to pull it through the bars. The other end has the big plugs. Any help????

Thanx

Quick Reply: Crazy Monster Build thread