Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LePera biker gel

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 03:46 PM
CruzB
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LePera biker gel

Has anyone ridden on a seat with LePera's biker gel? I know many of their seats look better than they ride, but I was considering their Silhouette Deluxe Solo, with the biker gel option. If it is comfortable for longer rides, that'd be perfect, since I'd get good looks and comfort at the same time.

Old 09-17-2012, 03:54 PM
Rok n Roll
Cruiser

I don't know about the deluxe gel but i have the Silhouette elite and its terrible. The gel may make a difference, it can't be any worse! I sat on a Danny gray buttcrack at a local dealership and it felt much better. They aren't cheap so choose wisely and do some research unlike myself.

Old 09-17-2012, 04:55 PM
CruzB
Advanced

Originally Posted by Rok n Roll
I don't know about the deluxe gel but i have the Silhouette elite and its terrible. The gel may make a difference, it can't be any worse! I sat on a Danny gray buttcrack at a local dealership and it felt much better. They aren't cheap so choose wisely and do some research unlike myself.
Yeah, I saw your post about the Elite, that's a shame. Normally I wouldn't look into getting a Silhouette because of the comfort issue, but the biker gel has me thinking. I'd look into one of the plusher, comfier seats, but I need something slightly thinner and smaller since I'm a shorter guy.

Old 09-17-2012, 05:06 PM
TORQUEY
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

Regarding gels, I am no engineer, but I know that liquids cannot be compressed. If you try to compress them, they displace (flow laterally). If they are strictly contained, that leaves a situation where a surface is rather unforgiving (LePera). If the gel can move away from the source of compression (your weight) it offers minimal support (like an under filled water bed)

Competing brands (Corbin, Mustang, etc.) use a dense foam. Foam can be compressed. Dense foam will take rather high compression but still offer good support.

No company affiliation here, just an inaccurate but hopefully in the ball park observation.

Old 09-17-2012, 05:12 PM
CruzB
Advanced

Originally Posted by TORQUEY
Regarding gels, I am no engineer, but I know that liquids cannot be compressed. If you try to compress them, they displace (flow laterally). If they are strictly contained, that leaves a situation where a surface is rather unforgiving (LePera). If the gel can move away from the source of compression (your weight) it offers minimal support (like an under filled water bed)

Competing brands (Corbin, Mustang, etc.) use a dense foam. Foam can be compressed. Dense foam will take rather high compression but still offer good support.

No company affiliation here, just an inaccurate but hopefully in the ball park observation.
Makes sense, and that was kind of what I was thinking when I first heard about their gel. The only thing that kept me thinking was that their site said it's a solid gel, not a liquid gel, and I don't know if that makes a difference. It mentions that it won't leak because of that, but I don't know if it contributes to comfort. I'm pretty skeptical, being LePera and all, which is why I'm trying to do my research.

Thanks!

Old 09-17-2012, 05:16 PM
2010Deluxeguy
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CruzB
Makes sense, and that was kind of what I was thinking when I first heard about their gel. The only thing that kept me thinking was that their site said it's a solid gel, not a liquid gel, and I don't know if that makes a difference. It mentions that it won't leak because of that, but I don't know if it contributes to comfort. I'm pretty skeptical, being LePera and all, which is why I'm trying to do my research.

Thanks!
Take a look at the C&C solo. It has great looks and is also an all day seat. Ive got the removeable backrest but rarely take it off anymore. I love this seat. www.ccseats.com

Old 09-17-2012, 06:29 PM
CruzB
Advanced

Originally Posted by 2010Deluxeguy
Take a look at the C&C solo. It has great looks and is also an all day seat. Ive got the removeable backrest but rarely take it off anymore. I love this seat. www.ccseats.com
Just spoke with one of the C&C guys and got some good info on the Solo. I think I might just go with C&C because of the customer service. Explained to me pretty well where it'll put me, and how far lower it'll sit. And the reviews on it haven't been bad. Just need to narrow it down to the C&C Solo or Mustang Tripper.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:45 PM
Biggerfoot
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My old Springer had one of their gel seats. It replaced a Corbin Hollywood seat. It was a huge improvement...from concrete to a real seat.

I was very happy with it and would do it again.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:12 PM
CruzB
Advanced

Originally Posted by Biggerfoot
My old Springer had one of their gel seats. It replaced a Corbin Hollywood seat. It was a huge improvement...from concrete to a real seat.

I was very happy with it and would do it again.
What kind of LePera seat was it?

Old 09-17-2012, 09:06 PM
Midgard
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by TORQUEY

from the LePera website -- Biker Gel has a unique way of conforming to the rider, distributing weight evenly across the seat. With an amazing memory characteristic, Biker Gel never loses its shape. Biker Gel will not freeze, crack, melt or break down. And it will never leak because it is a solid gel, not a liquid gel - like so many think.

I have a LePara with biker gel and I dont find it too bad.

Quick Reply: LePera biker gel