Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Softail oil cooler

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 05:40 PM
xwhyz1959
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 1,398 Likes on 450 Posts

I had that before I went with the Jagg 10 row. It was just enough of a cooler to make me want one.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:38 AM
Jaburg1
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I had one on my Fatboy, but don't have one now. The non-fan assisted coolers will only provide benefit when the bike is moving, right? If not, no air is flowing over the fins in the same way that no air is flowing over the cylinder fins.

Still, I continue to debate with myself on whether to get one.

Last edited by Jaburg1; 10-09-2012 at 12:53 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:36 AM
mjrfd99
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,368 Likes on 984 Posts

Great feedback, thanks. I've always been a big cooler supporter, have one on my Shovel since new and that motor has outlived many others.
30+ yrs ago an old timer told me and others if you cool an air cooled motor 15% you could double the life of many internal parts. My Shovel and Sporter have pretty much proven that, both have late 70's Lockhart coolers
I'm not a fan of how much the HD cooler might block air flow and a chrome cover for it don't make sense to me either.
Seen a couple old style Lockharts F/S on e-bay [like on my shovel] and might make my own and hang it on same as my 79 since that has worked excellent.

Old 10-09-2012, 06:41 AM
Rakthi
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

I have one in my bike (live in the tropics), I had the cover powder coated. It was installed by the dealership before delivery of the bike. Found out later you can install the oil cooler without the cover. Someone posted a pic of that a long while ago ...

Old 10-09-2012, 06:55 AM
mjrfd99
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,368 Likes on 984 Posts

If anyone has a pic of the HD unit on their bike I'd like to see it.
Again THANKS for the replys

Old 10-09-2012, 02:45 PM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I was watching a NASCAR race a few years ago. They said they would spend a million bucks on testing and technology just to drop the engine temps a few degree's. Heat is a killer to any engine. I also disagree that an oil cooler does nothing while sitting because it does, just not very much or as well. It adds volume to the oil and the oil drips over the internal turbulators adding some small measure of cooling. I have been running one on all my bikes since the mid 70's. I know there are many who disagree with this theory but I find it to be and think it to be true. It SURLY can't hurt and I have spent far more on far less functional mods to my bike. I have matched up temps with buddies while riding and I am always 10 to 30 degree's cooler then they are without one. That has to be beneficial no matter how you look at it.

Old 10-09-2012, 06:50 PM
GinsengSullivan
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Does anybody have any feedback on the OilBud cooling system? Seem nice that it fits up between the frame rail pratically out of site.

Also is the any evidence on whether the downtube mounted Jagg coolers are more efficent than the horizontal Lowmount cooler kits? If there is not a noticable difference I would be inclinded to use the Lowmount kit I think.

Thanks guys, this is definately a mod I will be doing

Old 10-09-2012, 07:04 PM
Doc W
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HD Oil Cooler

Originally Posted by mjrfd99
Anyone running this one?http://harley-davidson53.reachlocal....bmLocale=en_US

Whatcha think? Any good?
I bought the HD Oil Cooler after watching my oil temps running 249. After placing it, I'm running max 229. That's down here in Florida during Hot Humid Days. I've attached some PIX. I also did not use the Chrome cover. It's very inconspicuous.

Attached Thumbnails HD Softail oil cooler-img_2357.jpg   HD Softail oil cooler-img_2359.jpg   HD Softail oil cooler-img_2356.jpg  
Old 10-09-2012, 07:10 PM
gerjets
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had the same one on my Heritage for close to three years with no issues. Even got stuck behind an accident for about an hour a couple years back - stop then "barely" go for many miles - worried the bike would overheat. It didn't. There might be better ones out there but I'm happy with mine.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:27 AM
Jaburg1
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tbonetony06
I also disagree that an oil cooler does nothing while sitting because it does, just not very much or as well. It adds volume to the oil and the oil drips over the internal turbulators adding some small measure of cooling.

I tend to agree with that, also. It increases the surface area that is exposed to the air, so you'd think it would provide some benefit, even when not moving. If you're sitting still and there's a nice cool breeze, all the better.

Quick Reply: HD Softail oil cooler