Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Proximity Alarm Drains Battery

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 12:20 PM
STLFLSTF_Mike
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Proximity Alarm Drains Battery

Anyone having this problem..........2007 Fatboy with a factory installed proximity alarm drains my battery (within 5-6 days) enough that it won't kick over. The battery is new......that's not the problem. I've unhooked the alarm from the battery and it stays charged. I'm hoping there is a way to shut off the alarm when I'm not using it. I do have a battery tender but I don't always know how long it's going to sit because of fall weather...........before you know it, it's been sitting 5-6 days and the thing won't kick over.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:21 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Nope not here. Other issue I suspect.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:36 PM
Ramboamt
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[quote=soft 02;10425247]Nope not here. Other issue I suspect.[/quote]
DUH!!!

Old 10-09-2012, 02:55 PM
Guitardude
Club Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Both my Heritage and my Road King have alarms systems, the Heritage with the Smart Siren II and remote pager...the Road King has sat for several weeks with the Alarm set and no issues with the battery, and the Heritage I've left in secured, covered parking at the airport for 10 days at a time and never had an issue.

Since I'm thinking yours is one of the new ones where you just have to have the fob ON you and never touch a button it would be closer to having the pager system on my Heritage when it comes to battery drain.

If you have a new battery, maybe that battery has a bad cell, or maybe it's not getting a full charge from the bikes electrical system. I did just have this problem on a 6 month old battery I bought for my pick-up. Battery TESTED fine, just a little low, until they started checking the cells. And as long as I didn't leave the GPS pluged in, it seemed ok. But let it sit for a day or two and try to start it, not so good...

I'd start by checking each cell of the battery after a full overnight charge and see what you find out. At least then when you call the dealer, you can tell them for sure it's NOT the battery!

Old 10-09-2012, 04:38 PM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

The factory alarm with a proximity fob (no buttons on the fob) drained my battery pretty fast too. Can't remember exactly how fast, but I'd plug in the battery tender if I thought the bike might be unused for a week or more.

Disconnecting or reconnecting the the battery would produce some sparking, so I'm guessing that the alarm system caused some major current draw.

My more recent bike, without the factory alarm, seems to do fine for extended periods. Installed an easy plug-in for the battery tender, based on experience with the alarm model, but basically don't need to use it.

Old 10-09-2012, 04:44 PM
Bob FXDL
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My '07 Dyna Low Rider has the same problem. I went through two batteries thinking it was defective batteries. Traced the draw to the alarm system. At first I was connecting to a battery tender while bike was not in use. I since found that by taking out the main fuse (the big orange one) the battery can sit for several weeks and not drain. However the alarm does not work while the fuse is out.