Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 Fatboy Lo Riser Question

Old 10-23-2012, 08:20 AM
ELo
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 2012 Fatboy Lo Riser Question

I have a '12 Fatboy Lo and am experiencing upper back pain right between my shoulder blades. This happens after about 30min of riding. I was able to eliminate most of the pain by rolling the bars forward but the bike doesn't look right with the bars so far forward like that. Even the dealer said they are too far forward. Although they weren't any help with recommendations on risers. That's why I'm posting here. So...are there any risers that you guys would recommend for me? I was looking at the 4" pullback or the 4" fat risers because I'm not sure If I need the pullback or not.

Suggestions?

Old 10-23-2012, 11:22 AM
Knucky
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

First, if you find yourself wanting to push the bars forward, then you probably don't want any pullback in your risers. Second, you can also replace your bars with ones that are more comfortable and have less pullback too. To find where your hands fall most comfortably grab a broomstick, a friend and a tape measure. Sit on the bike holding the broomstick horizontally in front of you where you find it most comfortable - just pick the spot that feels like your hands want to naturally fall. Have someone measure the distance between the top triple tree and the top of the bar (rise), the distance from the top tree to the front of the bar (pullback), and the distance from the outside of each of your hands (width).

From there, you just use the rise, pullback, and width measurements to figure out a bar/riser combo that best gets you to that natural position you like.

Good luck.

Old 10-23-2012, 11:24 AM
Ground Shaker
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out the HD street slammer bars. A little more rise and pullback. Should do the trick.

Old 10-23-2012, 11:49 AM
Knucky
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Ground Shaker
Check out the HD street slammer bars. A little more rise and pullback. Should do the trick.
Do you mean less pullback? Because the guy is rolling his bars forward, not back.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:19 PM
ELo
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Knucky
First, if you find yourself wanting to push the bars forward, then you probably don't want any pullback in your risers. Second, you can also replace your bars with ones that are more comfortable and have less pullback too. To find where your hands fall most comfortably grab a broomstick, a friend and a tape measure. Sit on the bike holding the broomstick horizontally in front of you where you find it most comfortable - just pick the spot that feels like your hands want to naturally fall. Have someone measure the distance between the top triple tree and the top of the bar (rise), the distance from the top tree to the front of the bar (pullback), and the distance from the outside of each of your hands (width).

From there, you just use the rise, pullback, and width measurements to figure out a bar/riser combo that best gets you to that natural position you like.

Good luck.
Thank you very much for that post. I'm gonna do that tonight and see what I come up with. I'm trying to eliminate this problem or most of it with hopefully just a set of risers.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:31 PM
Knucky
Road Captain

Originally Posted by ELo
Thank you very much for that post. I'm gonna do that tonight and see what I come up with. I'm trying to eliminate this problem or most of it with hopefully just a set of risers.
You're welcome. One other note on a third possibility - which is how you are positioned on the bike. If you have a seat that currently pushes you towards the tank, you can gain a few inches of reach and height by going with a seat that sits you lower and/or farther back. My point is that if you ever considered swapping out your seat for something else, now would be a good time to do it before you go changing risers or bars.

Old 10-24-2012, 08:47 PM
Doc W
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ELo
I have a '12 Fatboy Lo and am experiencing upper back pain right between my shoulder blades. This happens after about 30min of riding. I was able to eliminate most of the pain by rolling the bars forward but the bike doesn't look right with the bars so far forward like that. Even the dealer said they are too far forward. Although they weren't any help with recommendations on risers. That's why I'm posting here. So...are there any risers that you guys would recommend for me? I was looking at the 4" pullback or the 4" fat risers because I'm not sure If I need the pullback or not.

Suggestions?
I used the 4inch risers from HD. Has worked well for me. Was able to use the stock cables, so no extra expense or work.[IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

Attached Thumbnails 2012 Fatboy Lo Riser Question-img_2386.jpg   2012 Fatboy Lo Riser Question-img_2388.jpg