Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pre-Wired Apes?

Old 10-31-2012, 04:32 PM
ghostrider69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought a set of prewired 16"x1 1/4" Wild1 Chubbies w/braided cables and chrome controls from www.hillcountrycustomcycles.com for the 09' Dyna I used to have. Everything went together great. So great that I bought a set of Drag Specialties 16"x1 1/2" Buffalo Bars w/braided cables and the Heritage Nacelle riser from them for my Deluxe. I just used a premade wiring extension from Namz for the Deluxe. So, I recommend HCCC. Also, if you decide to wire up your own set the best way I have found is to drop a piece of string in the end of the bar and use a shop vac to suck the string out thru the bottom of the bars. Then just tie the string to the wires and pull them thru.

Last edited by ghostrider69; 10-31-2012 at 04:36 PM.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:11 PM
Forge
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I picked up a set of prewired and factory plug 16s set from HCC. Been running them for several years and no problems...quality still good.

Last edited by Forge; 10-31-2012 at 08:13 PM.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:37 PM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 151 Likes on 111 Posts

Great. Thanks for the recommendations. Since I'm not payin' it sounded like a really good idea to me! <grin>

C#

Old 11-01-2012, 07:21 AM
rockinred
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How does pre wire work? You still have to wire to your controls right? So you still have to cut and solder? Whats the purpose or how does it work?

Old 11-01-2012, 08:32 AM
8 UP
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rockinred
How does pre wire work? You still have to wire to your controls right? So you still have to cut and solder? Whats the purpose or how does it work?
From what I'v seen you would get new bars, that has had a new extended wiring harness, with chrome buttons, in new chrome switch boxs pulled thru the bars and new connectors installed so all that you would need to do is pull your ft. master cylnder, clutch purch and grips from the old bars. Iff you want to keep your turn singles at the grips, you will need to extened thoes wires, or relocate them. You'll need new clutch, thr/idle cables, and a new ft. brake line. Then put the new bars on the bike, install MC,clutch cables, brake line, & grips, plug the wires in, thats about it.
No big deal.

Last edited by 8 UP; 11-01-2012 at 08:42 AM.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:31 AM
camo36
Advanced

since mine came with everything i needed, i just put quick connects on the wiring harness on the bars and on the bike. when i wanted apes, i had everything ready to go, all i needed to do was swap them, brake cable, clutch cable, throttle cables, wiring, all that stayed with the bars and hung them on the wall. id just wait till i needed to do a tranny oil change and swap the bars. had a set of drags that hung on the wall with all their components when i was usin the apes. pretty easy, and it makes it feel like total different bike every 5k when i changed my tranny oil and did the swap.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:43 AM
ghostrider69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rockinred
If you do not order the bars with new controls then they come prewired with just the switches on the end either chrome or black for you to install into your switch housings. If you order them with chrome controls then the switches are already installed in the switch housings and mounted on the bars. So, no there is no cutting and soldering.

Old 11-01-2012, 12:13 PM
Bogghammer
Stage I
Default Pre-wired apes

Got my 16" apes from HCC. Full controls, pre-wired, etc. It was a great help. Just had to learn how to remove the pins from the connectors in order to run the wires through the triple trees. Quick research, paper clip, small needle nose, pen/paper and a little patience it was relatively easy.

Old 11-01-2012, 12:34 PM
Heathen Big Chris
Intermediate

Electrical tape Really

solder all wire that you extend

instead of trying to suck a string thru you can also blow a string thru or attach a small fishing weight and simply drop in the bar and let the weight fall out the bottom

Old 11-01-2012, 01:54 PM
Green Hornet
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

agreed with the guys that say do it yourself. buy the extensions, get a soldering gun and some shrink wrap for less than 10 bucks. if you dont know how to solder, just watch on youtube and its easy and cheaper. soldering will help from the wires pulling apart when pulling through handlebars. its actually pretty easy.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pre-Wired Apes?