Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wideglide or Heritage (comes down to tires?)

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 11:28 PM
snarlyjack
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wideglide or Heritage (comes down to tires?)

I am in the process of buying a new Harley. I am very excited.
I've narrowed it down to 2 bikes. (1) The Wideglide, or the (2) Heritage, classic.

I love both bikes but they are totality different. I like the wideglide but my cousin keeps telling me that the front tire is to narrow and I should get the wider tire of the Heritage.

Does it come down to the front tire size???

I am confused, and I thought I'd ask the riders who really know. Any help would be appreciated!!! I'll ride it mostly
around town. Maybe some short trips of 100 miles or so, but I don't forsee any major trips in my future, although you never really know what the future holds.

Thanks

snarlyjack

Old 01-30-2007, 12:31 AM
midwesttom
Cruiser
Default RE: Wideglide or Heritage (comes down to tires?)

I can only speek from the Heritage point of view. I love the way it handles in town and on the road. I had the tall skinny tire on my Harley look a like Kawasaki before I could aford a Harley and it handled way different it seems to fall quicker in corners and didn't feel as stable in slow speed driving. I never liked the way that bike felt but love the Heritage and will go on longer trips with this bike. Good luck they both look awsome. Tom

Old 01-30-2007, 12:47 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

They are both great bikes, but different in many ways..

I don't have a Heritage, but do have a FatBoy (almost like a stripped down Heritage), and I also have a Dyna WideGlide.

For the short trips you mentioned either would be good, but the WideGlide has a higher seat height and center of gravity, and of course a slightly more raked front end running a 21" tire. The Softails have a wider from tire, and lower seat height and center of gravity. My FatBoy also has a much more comfortable seat than my WideGlide.

You really need to ride each and see what you prefer, but having owned nothing but Dyna's and Choppers for the past 35+ years the FatBoy I just purchased is a real joy. It's the most comfortable Harley I've ever owned, and my other bikes aren't getting much use.

Also, I like the stripped look of the WideGlide, and to me it would just look strange if you added saddlebags, windshield, etc. My Softail came with the HD detachable windshield, bags, and sissy bar/luggage rack, and I think it looks great both 'stripped down' and in 'full dress' mode.

Old 01-30-2007, 12:58 AM
O6FXST
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm 53 and have ridden all kinds of bikes, I have never noticed a handling difference due to the width of the front tire. That is so ridiculous!

IMO handling differences are due to thefact that every bike is different in a lot of ways and they all combine to give different handling and ride characteristics. So when I hear guys whining about something like this I just wonder if maybe its a skill level thing.

I don't notice my standard handling any different than any other bike I've had and its got that pretty skinny up front.

Get which ever bike you like the best, don't get caught up in something stupid like the width of a tire.

Rick

Old 01-30-2007, 02:07 AM
TxHarleyGuy2007
Road Warrior

Both bikes are hot! But I'd lean more toward the Heritage.

Old 01-30-2007, 02:11 AM
anubisss
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I have never ridden a wide glide, but it looks ok. I have a fatboy, which is quite similar to a heritage. I love the lowslung seat height, and the kicked back demeanor of the fatboy. It feels like a lazy mans bike, the way I sit on mine anyway. Rent both and them each for a day, and then decide. That is the best I can do to help you...

Old 01-30-2007, 07:52 PM
Rambler
Tourer

One major difference is the lean angle. With the dyna you will be able to make sharper turns in tight curves as opposed to the heritage. I have had both and currently have a heritage. I do prefer the Heritage for everyday riding and having fun.

Old 01-30-2007, 09:26 PM
HD7585
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

In "MY" opinion the Heritage is a better handling Safer Ride. Some can say I'm Whineing(dont care). I've owned a 21" skinny front wheel for 23 years and over 100,000 miles. Yes there are times it can be a handful,I have ridden a Heritage for a 600 mile trip.......I stand by what i think..........I agree with your Buddy

Old 01-31-2007, 02:01 AM
Oldtimer of NM
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ride both and get the one that feels best to you. While the handling is different, one is not necessarily better than the other as both have their merrits. The Heritage is best for some riders, the Wideglide best for others.

Old 01-31-2007, 01:17 PM
hawker
Advanced

I have both and would prefer the Heritage if I only had one.The Heritage is just a great all around bike, my favorite in the Harley lineup. Go get it and start riding!

Quick Reply: Wideglide or Heritage (comes down to tires?)