Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sharing Information

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 08:04 PM
olongapo1
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Sharing Information

Just finished a few up-grades and thought I'd share a bit of information and lessons learned. The bike is a 2003 Night Train with Stage 1 intake, exhaust, Mikuni Carb and Wimmer oil cooler. Hard starting when cold but otherwise very responsive and a strong runner when warmed up.

Long ago I added the Harley Oil Pressure Gauge kit. It's a personal thing, but I just need to see that gauge needle climb when I start the bike. I also have one of those thermometer dip sticks in the oil tank which is not an accurate device but at least it's a measurement. For the past 4 months, once the bike reached operating temperature, roughly 220 on the dip stick, the oil pressure gauge would drop to Zero at idle. Rev the engine a little and the pressure would build back up. Oil temp light on the console never came on. Posted the issue on this forum and was told not to worry about it. Well That's Not Good Enough!! Researching the web indicated that among other things, it could be a faulty bypass check ball and spring in the cam plate.

Since I had parts sitting on my shelf, I decided it was time to get off my butt and up-grade to the Screaming Eagle Hydraulic Cam Chain Tensioner System with High Flow Oil Pump. I also threw in a set of 203 cams. Took my time and after a couple days everything was buttoned up per specification. New cam plate, cams, cam chains, oil pump, lifters, push rods, bearings, gaskets, seals, fresh oil, the whole 9 yards. I also made Damn sure that the new O-Ring on the oil pump suction was properly seated. Also swapped out the Wimmer oil cooler for a Jagg's.

Fired up the bike while on the lift with a floor fan blowing onto the engine and cycled the engine between 1,000 and 2,500 rpm's for 15 minutes to break in all the new hardware. Everything ran and sounded fine. Turned off the floor fan and after letting the engine idle for a few minutes bringing up the temp to 220 on the dip stick gauge, the oil pressure gauge again dropped to Zero! OK, perhaps I have a serious problem.

A friend of mine had a spare oil pressure gauge which fit perfectly into the Harley mount of the side of the rocker box. Swapped out the gauge and Eureka! Proper oil pressure!

Long story short, my oil gauge had gone bad.

Logged a few miles in the saddle yesterday. I selected the 203 cams to improve bottom and mid range without sacrificing top end. The 203's were an improvement over stock however not the "Bang for the Buck" I was hoping for. The bike, when cold, starts much easier and runs much cooler. The oil temperature never got above 200 and I live in the Philippines where it's hot. I contribute this to the higher flow oil pump, improved cam plate, and the Jagg cooler. Additionally, at idle, I now have 18 psi of oil pressure.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:48 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Have a bad oil pressure gauge myself. As far as idle oil pressure goes, with roller bearings in the engine, pressure doesn't build as it does in an engine with "slipper" bearings, so as long as the light doesn't come on you are good to go, as it only takes a pound or two of pressure to keep it lubed. As the pump breaks in, you'll see the pressure drop as before. At least mine did.
What did your tensioners look like at how many miles?