Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oh no...not another silly windshield Question!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 09:00 AM
Das_Fatboy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oh no...not another silly windshield Question!!!

Over the winter I am planning on installing the 68669-05A Auxiliary Lighting Kit Deluxe on my 2011 Fatboy. Currently I have the 58243-95 Standard Windshield, but according to the HD website, I will need to switch to the 57140-05 King-Size Nostalgic Detachable Windshield. With that being said, here are a few questions I have regarding this:
  1. What are the major differences between the 2 windshields that would require me to buy a new windshield?
  2. Is it possible to modify the standard windshield to make it work?
  3. If said mod can be made, can it be done without making it look like hell?

I was checking out the Aux lamps/windshields on some show floor bikes at a few dealerships over the summer, and the only key difference I saw was the mounting brackets seemed like they were wider apart on the nostalgic windshield...it almost looks like you can flip the mounting brackets on the standard windshield to make it work..or at least get it close. But I am not sure if there are any key differences in the windshield (the clear part) itself that would need to be addressed!?!?

Old 11-24-2012, 09:16 AM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,863 Likes on 4,113 Posts

I didn't look into this in great detail, but what I gather is that you are trying to convert the lighting setup of a Fatboy to one similar to a Heritage.

Apparently your existing windshield is the one used on older model Heritages (pre 2000) and the nostalgic windshield is for 2000 and later Heritage models. So, obviously there is some difference in the windshields. What they are I dont know.

If you know someone with a late model Heritage or at a dealer, compare it to the stock windshield and see what the difference is. That will tell you what modifications would be necessary and if they are possible.

Old 11-24-2012, 09:24 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,540 Likes on 3,792 Posts

Do it like Harley said works best and for sure the easy way. Anything with Harley name on them sell like hot dogs at a race on Ebay or even here. Only problem here is search suck so it's hit and miss but it will go on ebay in 7 days. First 50 list per month are free so it may take a few weeks to home in on price if you start high but cost nothing to do that.. You will have the new box to ship..so no packing problems. Ebay gets 9% , paypal 3% ..no big deal...

Old 11-24-2012, 09:32 AM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts

You are correct, it is the mounting bracket spacing. For aux lights they are spaced further apart. I was able to use the original quick detach, non-aux light fatboy, shield with bracket after installing the aux lights. I put the upper rubber grommets on the inside of a shorter spacer, against the forks. The lower grommet is not needed as the shield bracket slips right over the aux light mounting bracket itself. I wrapped the lower part of the shield bracket with tape so it will not scratch anything. You can not see the tape. Or, you could just buy the brackets and use your shield.

Old 11-24-2012, 09:53 AM
Das_Fatboy
Cruiser

Thanks for the replies so far. I would prefer not to have to sell it on ebay, and then buy a new one. I bought the one I have at the beginning of this summer and would prefer to use it if possible.

Kuma, do you have any pics of what you did that you could possibly share, I am a little confused on what you did @ the lower mounting bracket. It sounds like you figured out how to make it work though.

Old 11-24-2012, 11:50 AM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts
Old 11-24-2012, 11:50 AM
redmosquito1
Tourer

The nostalgic shield has a different shape frame, just the u versus the standard h frame. As far as the mounts on my 12 luxe with the light bar you do not use the supplied spacers from the shield kit and instead use the light bar as spacers with the rubber grommets on top and bottom that the shield mounts to. But if I wanted to I can swap to a standard H frame with no problem.

So, for your bike you should be able to just buy the light bar, remove the metal spacers on the quick detach bolts and use the aux light bar and all should be good. According to my dealer the H frame is more for heritage styled bikes but fits on the luxe where as the nostaligic is styled towards the old school look of the the luxe. Both shields fit behind the aux bar lights so no worries there.

Last edited by redmosquito1; 11-24-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:32 PM
Das_Fatboy
Cruiser

Thanks for all of the answers...I feel better knowing I can add the Aux lights without worrying about wasting money swapping out the windshield.