Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission experts - lube myths

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 02:03 PM
GunnyGee
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission experts - lube myths

Greetings,

I have been reading quite a bit about opinions on what transmission fluid to use, but with very little facts or reasons why. Specifically, how does the transmission hold up against preventing repairs or rebuild. Any transmission repair guys out there?

I personally do not have a lot of experience with long term usage of any particular fluid or oil, but would like to figure out what will prevent repair costs in the future by reducing wear.

Initially, I had some type of synthetic oil in my transmission when I first purchased it. My guess is it was a Red Line product based on the color. When it was time to change it a local independent Harley repair shop recommended that I use Drag Specialties 85W-140. I purchased it and installed it myself. http://www.dragspecialties.com/produ...roductId=90202

They said this oil would be sufficient, if I was not experiencing any transmission noise at the time. If so, then I should use a synthetic oil instead to quiet the transmission down. Further, he said to use a non-synthetic instaed of wasting money on expensive synthetic oil, unless my gearbox was noisy or I if had a 6 speed. So, that is why I went with his recommendation on my quiet 5 speed transmission.

I simply want to keep up with the preventative maintenance.

I have about 1k miles on this transmission oil and have not noticed any problems shifting or abnormal noise.

Although, it is very concerning to me that I have not found any comments (pro or con) by anyone using Drag Specialties Gear Oil. Second, now that the temperatures have been dropping here in Michigan I have been noticing that a little bit of oil is being forced out the vent tube. It is more of a nuisance leak. Meaning, that I get a few drips down the inside of the primary cover that accumulates at the bottom that drops on the garage floor after parked over night. This seems to be worse when the bike s cold and improves or stops leaking after its good and hot. I did measure exactly 24oz. of oil when I filled the transmission. Since then I had to add about 1oz or so after 1k miles.

Again, the more I read about transmission fluid recommendations the more confusing it gets. Any help clearing this up is much appreciated! Would like to hear from a tech or Harley transmission expert.

Old 11-25-2012, 03:04 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Lots of threads on this subject. Since I'm not an expert or tech, I won't give any more advice. LOL!

Old 11-25-2012, 06:29 PM
Rodzilla6
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I use amsoil gear lube. I prefer synthetic. I think if you use any high quality tranny lube and change it every year, you will be OK. I read an article on tranny lubes and how they work. It said that a big killer on tranny lube is moisture of any kind!!!! It NUKES the oils sheering qualities...I don't think my gears would like that...LOL. So use good stuff and change it often. It's cheap, mine only uses 1 quart. Note - I have changed mine about 5 times and have never seen any signs of moisture (whitish/cloudy looking...) but worth the 10 bucks to change it often.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:02 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 814 Likes on 800 Posts

Heres the results from our poll on all what Oils we use from our Oil Section in here.

U can read for a long time to see what all the different oils are used and what the most popular ones are.

Tranny
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/oil-a...o-you-use.html

Pri.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/oil-a...ur-choice.html

Motor.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/oil-a...your-bike.html

Here's the OIL section if U want to read ever more..

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/oil-a...ted-topics-30/

Most of us have our own favorites.. Myself, after trying several different oils now and for the last 25k have stayed with Mobil 1,, 20-50 in Motor and Pri.. and Mobil 1 GL 75-90 in Tranny... IMO its the best I've used out of Syn3, Formula +, and BelRay.

She shifts easier and smoother with the Mobil 1 and can be found easy every spring here at most auto stores on sale around $7.99 a qt.. I just buy enough for 2 changes (summer) then.