Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horn issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 02:32 PM
The English guy
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horn issues

Hi guys

I have a Harley Davidson MT350 and Armstrong MT500 Hella Motorcycle Horn and it sounds like a lost goose in the fog with a stinking cold, hence a pathetic honk sound that is barely noticed over the sound of my pipes.
Is this what these horns are like or does it require some kind of adjustment? This is kinda embarrassing haha

Any guidance will be much appreciated

Many thanks

Old 11-27-2012, 03:16 PM
Motown Strag
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Vibrating steel diaphragm horns usually either work or don't work. the only adjustment is for setting the contact separation threshold. The electro-magnet pulls the piston down and flexes the diaphragm down until the collar on the piston pulls the contacts apart killing power to the magnet which causes the diaphragm to pop back up making noise. It does this in rapid modulation to sustain the tone.

I dont think you could make them louder or change the tone but Im not a horn expert...maybe someone else can add to this?

Maybe check the ground and voltage to the horn to make sure you have no issues there.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:01 PM
The English guy
Intermediate

Hi mate

That is very interesting, thanks. I guess it just the way it sounds then although someone did tell me that there was a tuning screw hole on the back under a wax resin substance. Maybe i will take it off and have a fiddle. i just wanted to check before i began taking things apart.
Really appreciate your info and love your bike!!

Ride safe bud!

Old 11-27-2012, 04:17 PM
Motown Strag
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by The English guy
Hi mate

That is very interesting, thanks. I guess it just the way it sounds then although someone did tell me that there was a tuning screw hole on the back under a wax resin substance. Maybe i will take it off and have a fiddle. i just wanted to check before i began taking things apart.
Really appreciate your info and love your bike!!

Ride safe bud!
Now im curious, let me know what you find. Best of luck and thanks for the compliment

Cheers!

Old 11-27-2012, 04:32 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 814 Likes on 800 Posts

I retired from GM - Delco Remy and yrs ago we made all the horns for GM cars and Trucks..

I never worked in the plant that made them, As we had 17 different Plants that made most all of the Electrical components for them.

But what I do know that to get a louder sound from Horns, U need at least 2 Different NOTES.

If U put 2-3 or more horns of the same note U really wont get a louder result from them. So they have to be different notes..

As far as a single horn sounding fuzzy or emitting a poorly sound then it may be out of adjustment,, the screw may help the tuning,, or it may be getting water inside of it..

U need to check both of those..

Hope U figure it out. Here state side some OPT for Air Horns, Also there are other options for a single horn useage.. some claim over 100 Dbs, those should be fairly LOUD>.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:46 PM
The English guy
Intermediate

Thanks very much, i will try those things first although i am sure its not a water problem

Ride safe!

Old 11-28-2012, 04:24 PM
Motown Strag
Road Warrior

Well I just got my new Covingtons billet horn in the mail and according to the instructions it has a tuning screw on the back...I guess there is such a thing after all. Its a small screw on the back with a jam nut.

Old 11-28-2012, 05:02 PM
The English guy
Intermediate

Thats interesting, i'll have a try this weekend and see what happens, failing that, i'll buy another one

Thanks again for your help - much appreciated :-)

Old 11-28-2012, 05:06 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

I had a horn that had this issue. I discovered that the ground bolt for the horn was loose. Tightened it up and it sounded better although it i difficult to know if your is working properly without hearing it.

Old 11-28-2012, 05:17 PM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I put one of these up behind the oil tank in frt of the rear inner tire shield.. works great, hidden and loud enough to make no paying attention morons jump when you hit the button..

Quick Reply: Horn issues