Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The 2005 Fat Boy Anniversary Edition riddle: 88in FLSTF vs 95in FLSTFI-AE

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 10:35 AM
olliefraga
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default The 2005 Fat Boy Anniversary Edition riddle: 88in FLSTF vs 95in FLSTFI-AE

Well, let me first tell you, I'm in the Persian Gulf inside of a warship and I opened my email and there is a message about my bike not being what I posted it was. Well, we all know that the Internet is the natural habitat of Trolls and other vicious creatures. No big deal until I read the name of the creature... Let me tell you, this guy is following me since a put a 1 minute or so video of how my new staggered duals sound over the YouTube. With every deployment we have guys from the Navy Auto Source that sells Harleys and other car brands at very nice price for us Service Members. Luckily he is a former employee from the York Factory and I was able to ask him what is the deal with the whole controversy involved with this particular year. This is exactly what he said quoting word for word: "In 2005 the Fat Boy model celebrated 15 years since its first appearance in 1990. ALL Standard FLSTFs in that year were labeled 15 year Anniversary Edition, with the regular 88in and the sticker emblem on the tank and more chrome than the previous year. Within that year/model celebration Harley released the FLSTFI-AE, the one that everybody talks about, with the fuel injected 95in big bore engine and gold plated accents. That being said, ALL Fat Boys FLSTFs produced in 2005 were Anniversary Edition but not all Anniversary Editions were the FLSTFI-AE (the special edition)." I hope this ends the legendary arguments over the bike and do what we do best... RIDE!!

The following 2 users liked this post by olliefraga:
Bob Triglide (04-19-2023), marcdpaul (02-28-2023)
Old 12-01-2012, 01:04 PM
dondee
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an black '05 and yeah it has the 15th Anniversary decal on the tank, but as far as I can tell no extra chrome.

It may exist but I personally never hear of this AE 95" job the fellow is telling you about. Could be something a dealer threw together trying to make some extra bucks, I dunno.

Old 12-01-2012, 03:04 PM
olliefraga
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That is a nice Trike!
Man, I keep telling those guys that we have bikes with the damn 15th anniversary decals on the tank. Damn Trolls...

Old 12-01-2012, 06:15 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

Actually, I think you are incorrect. Not starting a pissing match, but no, its not an anniversery simply because its a 2005 Fat Boy.

What I want to say is this. Whithout sounding like a dick because I certianly don't know everything about Fat Boys. If there is something on a base '05 Fat Boy that you can post that shows its an anniversery, then allow me to apologize in advance. Otherwise, I stand by my statement. No disrespect intended to you. Without some sort of badgeing, its my opinion....... its not an Anniversary.

Last edited by bikerlaw; 12-01-2012 at 06:27 PM.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:29 PM
dondee
Tourer

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
Actually, I think you are incorrect. Not starting a pissing match, but no, its not an anniversery simply because its a 2005 Fat Boy.

What I want to say is this. Whithout sounding like a dick because I certianly don't know everything about Fat Boys. If there is something on a base '05 Fat Boy that you can post that shows its an anniversery, then allow me to apologize in advance. Otherwise, I stand by my statement. No disrespect intended to you. Without some sort of badgeing, its my opinion....... its not an Anniversary.
Mine says that right on the tank, and so does an identical tank that I bought for another Fatboy. You are in fact actually wrong, but I'm too lazy to post a pic just to prove it to you and honestly don't care whether you believe it or not.

And people are telling you what it says on their tank badges but since you've personally never seen one you are certain it can't be true? Well, you do indeed sound a little like a ...

Last edited by dondee; 12-01-2012 at 08:48 PM.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:55 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

Its only because I'm on my cell phone that you don't see my sig pic. Otherwise you would see my silver 05 Anniversery Fat Boy. The dealer explained to me what I just posted. If its not the 95 inch model with the gold badges, its just a 2005. But hey, I've been wrong before.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:47 PM
hd1shrk
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by olliefraga
Well, let me first tell you, I'm in the Persian Gulf inside of a warship and I opened my email and there is a message about my bike not being what I posted it was. Well, we all know that the Internet is the natural habitat of Trolls and other vicious creatures. No big deal until I read the name of the creature... Let me tell you, this guy is following me since a put a 1 minute or so video of how my new staggered duals sound over the YouTube. With every deployment we have guys from the Navy Auto Source that sells Harleys and other car brands at very nice price for us Service Members. Luckily he is a former employee from the York Factory and I was able to ask him what is the deal with the whole controversy involved with this particular year. This is exactly what he said quoting word for word: "In 2005 the Fat Boy model celebrated 15 years since its first appearance in 1990. ALL Standard FLSTFs in that year were labeled 15 year Anniversary Edition, with the regular 88in and the sticker emblem on the tank and more chrome than the previous year. Within that year/model celebration Harley released the FLSTFI-AE, the one that everybody talks about, with the fuel injected 95in big bore engine and gold plated accents. That being said, ALL Fat Boys FLSTFs produced in 2005 were Anniversary Edition but not all Anniversary Editions were the FLSTFI-AE (the special edition)." I hope this ends the legendary arguments over the bike and do what we do best... RIDE!!

Let me start off saying Thank you for your service to our country!

Not ALL 2005 Fatboys were "AE". I have a 2005 AE in silver sitting in the garage. Also, in my possesion I have the "AE" Fatboy booklet, which is a supplement. If you check the 7th digit it will tell you what the engine size is. Mine is a "D" which means 1550 fuel injected, balanced. Also in my possesion is an article from Harely which calls for the 95" bore kit, disc wheels chock-full of chrome and gold-plated "tattoos" on the tank. Which was only available for 6 months in silver and black. From what I understand there were 2500 of each in black and silver.

I hope this helps straighten things out. Let me know if there is anything else I can pull from the booklet.

Tom
2005 Fatboy AE
1999 1200S - gone but not forgoten

The following users liked this post:
marcdpaul (02-25-2023)
Old 02-22-2013, 11:33 AM
Sharpie
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I hate to jump in on this thread a couple of months late but I will share my 2 bits from what I've learned from HD. 2005 was the 15th Anniversary issue and all 2005 should have the 24K gold badge on the tank. The AE (Anniversary Edition) was limited to only 2 colors Vivid Black Pearl and Silver. They also had a 95" FI engine instead of the standard 88" engine. HD made an announcement of this in early 2005. I have the statement below. It can still be found on HDs website. http://investor.harley-davidson.com/...487&highlight=

Highlights of the 2005 15th Anniversary Edition FLSTFI Fat Boy:

For 15 years the Fat Boy has ruled the heavyweight cruiser class by blending classic hardtail styling with a heart-pounding counter-balanced V-Twin engine. The 15th Anniversary Edition Fat Boy commemorates the model's journey with an extra helping of chrome, performance and style.

Its signature solid disc wheels have been chromed, making a visual statement that's as powerful as it is custom. The two color options--Vivid Black and Brilliant Silver, a nod to the original color introduced in 1990--are complemented by a matched paint scheme on its counter-balanced V-Twin motor. A 24K gold-plated tank emblem and unique Badlander-inspired, double-stitched seam seat, gold striped air cleaner cover, timer cover and ignition switch plate are unique custom treatments.

Driving that point home is a big bore, fuel-injected 1550cc Twin Cam 95 engine producing 87.1-ft.-lbs. of torque at 4000 rpm. It's counterbalanced and solid-mounted to deliver the Softail's tightly-framed, timeless style and strong roll-on power with just the right amount of feedback to the rider. The 15th Anniversary Fat Boy will be available until June 2005, while supplies last.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:17 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

Since this was first posted I have done a lot of research. Why? Well, because I have one. What I have found is that ALL 2005 Fat Boys ARE 15th Anniversary Fat Boys but Not all 15th Anniversary Fat Boys are Anniversary Editions. The A/E Fat Boys are whopty-do 15th Anniversary bikes. So IMHO, that's the difference. I am basically saying each and every poster in this thread is pretty much correct. That's all I gots.

Last edited by bikerlaw; 02-22-2013 at 08:52 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:53 PM
Weevil
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 4 Posts

Luckily he is a former employee from the York Factory and I was able to ask him what is the deal with the whole controversy involved with this particular year.
There's a controversy concerning the 2005 Anniversary editions? First time I hear about it.

Quick Reply: The 2005 Fat Boy Anniversary Edition riddle: 88in FLSTF vs 95in FLSTFI-AE