Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handlebars for Fat Boy Lo

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 04:00 PM
Don-T
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Handlebars for Fat Boy Lo

I think I need to change handlebars on my new Fat Boy Lo. My arms are straight and I feel like I am leaning forward while riding. The seating position is fine in relation to the floorboards, shift, and rear brake. The height of the seat in relation to the ground is good too. It seems as though the handlebars should be pulled back several inches. I am not sure if they should be higher too, maybe they should be. I would rather not start guessing at handlebars, that could get expensive. Can anyone offer any insight on this?

Old 12-16-2012, 04:27 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member

What year Lo? the handlebars changed from the 2010's/11's to the 2012's/13's.. the 10's/11's were quite uncomfortable and i felt the same way you described.. i know it's hard to visualize sitting still, but what I did was sat on the bike, held my arms out (not grabbing the bars), but just trying to get in to a comfortable position so i could gain perspective on what kind of bars i'd like.. i ended up going with the HD Street Slammers, and while they're better than stock, some companies have new bars out that "appear" to me like they would be more comfortable.. i know this doesn't help at all, but maybe it's a start

Old 12-16-2012, 05:24 PM
Fatbob usmc EOD
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could try pull back rises like I did. You can get the 6 inch pullback risers and keep the original cables. The brake cable is a little tight but it will fit. I'm a lot more comfortable but I would still like to go back an inch or two. Trying new risers is probably the cheapest way to go before getting into a complete bar swap.

Old 12-16-2012, 05:40 PM
Fierofly
Tourer

I bought the Stock FB bars and rotated them back, They just clear the tank when full turn. I did need a new brake line, anti lock brakes.

Old 12-16-2012, 06:27 PM
Don-T
Cruiser

Sorry guys, I should had noted it is a 2013. Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Old 12-16-2012, 06:37 PM
Don-T
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Sgt_Jim
What year Lo? the handlebars changed from the 2010's/11's to the 2012's/13's.. the 10's/11's were quite uncomfortable and i felt the same way you described.. i know it's hard to visualize sitting still, but what I did was sat on the bike, held my arms out (not grabbing the bars), but just trying to get in to a comfortable position so i could gain perspective on what kind of bars i'd like.. i ended up going with the HD Street Slammers, and while they're better than stock, some companies have new bars out that "appear" to me like they would be more comfortable.. i know this doesn't help at all, but maybe it's a start
I was thinking about the street slammers myself. Are they pulled back and a bit higher than the stock bar?

Old 12-16-2012, 07:05 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member

The SS's are 30.25" wide, have 5.75" of pullback, and 6.75" of rise..i dont know how the stock are, so if you can find that out you'll have your answer..

here's a page of most of HD"s handlebars' measurements.
http://www.harley-davidson.com/pna/p...ar_measure.jsp

I also like their new 'Swingback' bars.. p/n 56039-03A, but they don't come in black, though powdercoating is an option.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:27 PM
harleyfiremedic
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Not sure if it helps, I have a 2010 Lo and had the same issue. I went with the 4" pull backs and the stock Fatboy bars. Worked for me. 5'4" tall and needed a set of bars closer to me

Old 12-16-2012, 07:33 PM
Don-T
Cruiser

I see the Swingback bars. That looks more like what I am looking for. Does anyone have any experience with them? Too bad they aren't available in black.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:15 AM
kateean2
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can get the 6 inch pullback risers and keep the original cables.

Quick Reply: Handlebars for Fat Boy Lo