Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another FLUID Question - Engine/Primary/Trans

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 03:37 PM
Eagle240
Tourer
Received 120 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Another FLUID Question - Engine/Primary/Trans

So I am getting ready to do my first service. These might be some repeat questions, but after diggin thru posts the alst 2 weeks, I can not get str8 answers for the following questions, plus this is my first HD and I want to make sure to get the answers to the questions I ask...

When i installed my apes at 400 miles, I drained tranny and replaced all fluid, with HD fluid from dealer.

Here are my questions

(let me preface by saying - I want to change my fluids with the SAME stuff everytime from here on out, cost is not an issue- i would even buy supply of stuff for the next 10 changes if needed)

1- Harley says I am supposed to do 1k svc and replace trans fluid.... should I do it again? (I just changed fluid at 400 miles) if so, what is best alternative to use besides HD trans fluid?

2- Engine/Primary/Trans - an old biker friend of mine swears I should run SYN 20W50 in all 3 holes. What the hell? is this true? He says HD oil is BS and no they dont make oil, they make ****s and the best to run is 20w50 in every hole. ... this guy crazy>? I dont want a loud clunking tranny

3- Besides what the book says - what is recomended for longevity/heat displacement for oil in each hole?

Live in St. Louis MO, and see hot summers and cold winters, unsure if this changes preferances in oil viscosities (sp?) .

Thanks for all , and again - Apologies for the newb question but I want to get this done and keep doing it the same way from here out.

2012 LO. 1,006 miles.

Old 12-18-2012, 04:15 PM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Amsoil 20/50 full synthetic all 3 holes. Oil is pretty much oil. It's the additive package that seperates one from the other. Amsoil has one of the best additive packages out today. Also synthetic runs cooler and cleaner. Those comments are going to start a fire storm or replies from one end of the spectrum to the other so be prepared to have your mind F'ed. 1 person will swear by one oil while others will curse it. I was talked into trying the "Shockproof" in my tranny and once it was in there I couldn't get it back out fast enough. My bike hated it! When all else fails Google it and make your own mind up and then stick with it. I also think that is a key to a long and good running bike is to find something and then stick with it rather then trying something new every oil change you do. If you changed your tranny out at 400 miles there is no need to do the 1k on it. Good luck Dude!!!

Old 12-18-2012, 04:20 PM
Big Trev
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Easy peasy. Follow what it says in the service manual.

Old 12-18-2012, 04:45 PM
johngp7
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used SYN3 20/50 in all of my bikes with no problems, in all engine, trans, primary

Old 12-18-2012, 04:54 PM
BlackSpecial
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just can't resist oil threads!!!!

I use Spectro in trans & primary. Mobil 1 VT 20/50 in the crank case.

You think you're confused now!?!? Wait 'till this thread gets goin'!!!

Old 12-18-2012, 05:32 PM
Big Trev
Road Captain

Originally Posted by mstngjoe
I just can't resist oil threads!!!!
That must be some sort of fetish you've got

Old 12-18-2012, 05:55 PM
olongapo1
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Amsoil all the way!

Amsoil makes a 20W50 syn oil for v-twins which can be used in all three holes. I use it in the engine and primary but use Amsoil syn severe gear in the tranny. Check out their web site.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:26 PM
cruzomatic
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

I'm new as well and approaching my first service just like you. As of right now, I'm planning on using Mobil 1 V-Twin 20/50 in the crank and primary and Redline shockproof in the tranny. I'll be following this thread as well. I'd like to run Amsoil actually, just seems too hard to get though. My .02

Old 12-18-2012, 06:32 PM
fcsallan
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am a fan of Amsoil but I use dino oil in the primary, Amsoil straight 60 in the oil bag and 75w 140 in the trans.

I have used Syn3 in all three but it costs more than the Amsoil and there was a bit more noise in the trans and finding 1st was a bit tougher but not much.

I can't see putting syn in the primary. It doesn't do anything but cool anyway, 20w50 of any brand will do, you just want one that is motorcycle rated since you don't want to add extra slip in the clutch.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:35 PM
fdb2007
Road Master

First you have picked the most talked about question with the least possibility for a straight answer. It is not an unreasonable question since you want to take the best care you can of a pretty expensive investment. First read your owner's manual, which I'll bet you have already done. I wouldn't worry about it doing the tranny again, but if you are taking it back for a 1K, just let them do it--it's 12 bucks for a qt of Syn 3 and there is no quibbling over warranty nonsense even though your tranny will be about the last thing that fails on your bike, regardless of lubricant. Personnally I run syn 3. I would disagree with guy saying HD oil is BS--not saying it is next coming, but it ain't bad. I have tried most of the oils and I just come back to that out of convience. I ran dyno in a stg II 103 w/255 cams and it was hard to start after it was hot. went back to syn 3 and it helped that issue. Guys all have their favorites, but I think if you run a quality oil (HD Syn 3 is among them, but not the only one) and change it the recommended frequencies you'll be fine. Synthetics seem to help the heat issues. You should ask about cams. Enjoy your ride, take some care of it and it will last a long time.

Quick Reply: Another FLUID Question - Engine/Primary/Trans