Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas tank console removal...necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 10:33 AM
silent bob
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas tank console removal...necessary?

I'm going to be removing the gas tank on my Deuce and the manuals say that first you have to remove the console and disconnect all the connectors for it. Is that really necessary? Do those wires connect separately under the tank or can you just remove the one connector just under the fuel line and then take the whole tank off with the console intact?

If anyone has any step by step suggestions (or pictures) for removing the tank, that would be very helpful. (not necessarily specific to the Deuce as I believe all the Softail tanks are similar).

Old 12-19-2012, 10:41 AM
Rbs68cgr
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You gotta take off console. I just put rag over my bars & let it sit while tank is removed. You got fuel crossover line & main fuel line & your fuel gauge. Also the main 2 bolts that hold tank to frame. Not to difficult, but easier if no gas in tank.

Old 12-19-2012, 10:59 AM
Vic Bronco
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also, in case you don't have a shop manual and don't realize it when you start out, the main fuel line at the tank end is quick disconnect, so you don't need to wrench it off.

And make sure you get as much fuel out of the tank before trying to take anything off it, otherwise once the crossover line comes off if you don't have stuff immediately within reach to pinch it off or collect whatever leaks out your garage will smell like gas for days.

Otherwise it's not that big a deal.

Old 12-19-2012, 11:17 AM
jory434
Road Warrior
Received 474 Likes on 253 Posts

If I remember right, not EVERY wire is gonna be harnessed under the tank, so taking the console off is necessary. Its been a little while, but seems like I wondered the same thing when I took my tank off. The console is gravy to take off, and really the tank is too. As said before, remember the fuel line is a quick connect, fashioned like an air hose connection.

Old 12-19-2012, 11:20 AM
TNB
Road Master

Originally Posted by silent bob
I'm going to be removing the gas tank on my Deuce and the manuals say that first you have to remove the console and disconnect all the connectors for it. Is that really necessary? Do those wires connect separately under the tank or can you just remove the one connector just under the fuel line and then take the whole tank off with the console intact?

If anyone has any step by step suggestions (or pictures) for removing the tank, that would be very helpful. (not necessarily specific to the Deuce as I believe all the Softail tanks are similar).
I saw photos on another thread in one of the other sections recently. I can't remember which, but there are photos. The search feature may help.

Old 12-19-2012, 11:54 AM
Rbs68cgr
Cruiser

Why are you removing the tank anyways?

Old 12-19-2012, 12:24 PM
_aaron
Cruiser

I just removed my tank and console. I was replacing the crossover anyway. The console is very simple. 1 bolt/nut. Unplug the 3 connectors (I think) and unscrew the trip button.

Old 12-19-2012, 12:50 PM
silent bob
Advanced

Originally Posted by Rbs68cgr
Why are you removing the tank anyways?
I'm installing new bars and the wires just miss reaching so I need to cut and splice to extend them. It's going to be much easier to get at everything if I remove the tank. I know a lot of people de-pin the connectors, but I only need to splice in a short amount of cable, so I figure it would be easier to cut them, splice in longer cable, then use plug connectors to splice it in. That way, I can always just quick disconnect the wires if I change bars again.

Would there be any issues with the computer, etc by doing that? It shouldn't really make a difference I wouldn't think.

The clutch cable and turn signal wires reach of course, but the main control wiring doesn't.

Old 12-19-2012, 02:01 PM
Rbs68cgr
Cruiser

I wouldn't know if its ok using plug connectors cause I've never used them. As long you have done your research about them & they're safe to carry the power without melting. Most people only de-pin if they're running the wires in the bars.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:22 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member

umm..you do and you don't..you can get the tank off without removing every wire, and just let the console hang down, or tie it to the handlebars or something..the only thing that really connects it to the tank is the fuel pump cable..but for what it's worth, it's easier just to take it off and set it to the side

Quick Reply: Gas tank console removal...necessary?