Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scratched up the fuel gauge window.

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 02:11 PM
rs1971
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scratched up the fuel gauge window.

Hi,

So I just picked up my first HD (a 2007 Deuce with 4500 miles on it) the other day and have been playing around trying to figure out how everything works. I thought that it would be a good idea to try to turn the chrome '****' that houses the fuel gauge. It turns out not so much really. The narrow glass / plastic window stayed stationary while the metal moved across it and scraped it all up. It's so bad that it's almost hard to even read the gauge at this point. Can that window be replaced? And if so, is it difficult?

Thanks.

ps - apologies in advance if this isn't an appropriate thread topic but I didn't see a catch all thread anywhere and I'm still trying to get the lay of the land.

Last edited by rs1971; 12-20-2012 at 11:16 PM.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:39 PM
wadejesu
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Gauge

I have a new takeoff if your interested, PM me

Old 12-20-2012, 05:22 PM
olongapo1
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Harley sells the Fuel Gauge as an entire unit. I guess it's possible to replace the glass as a DIY project but it would be a headache locating the proper shape. Put this in the Lessons Learned column and replace the unit.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:13 PM
TXFXST04
Cruiser
Default did the same

There is a sticker that says do not turn, but I did and scratched it all to hell

Old 12-20-2012, 11:15 PM
rs1971
Novice

Originally Posted by olongapo1
Harley sells the Fuel Gauge as an entire unit. I guess it's possible to replace the glass as a DIY project but it would be a headache locating the proper shape. Put this in the Lessons Learned column and replace the unit.
Yeah, after writing that post I looked around a bit and it looks like the units aren't as expensive as I expected they were so that's definitely the way to go. I have essentially no mechanical experience but I've decided that with this bike I'd like to get my feet wet a little bit. This will be a good first project.

Originally Posted by TXFXST04
There is a sticker that says do not turn, but I did and scratched it all to hell
Man, it really looks like it should turn doesn't it?

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 07-26-2018 at 03:23 PM.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:16 AM
Vic Bronco
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rs1971
Yeah, after writing that post I looked around a bit and it looks like the units aren't as expensive as I expected they were so that's definitely the way to go. I have essentially no mechanical experience but I've decided that with this bike I'd like to get my feet wet a little bit. This will be a good first project.
There's literally no mechanical experience needed to replace this, it is a little less than a quarter turn in one direction to pull the thing straight up, after you have cut the wires from underneath the fuel tank, feed the new wires straight down the tube and drop the new one straight in.

If you have the cash I'd suggest getting the flush mount fuel cap and gauge from HD, they really make a huge improvement in the way the tank line flows, and the installation is pretty much identical to replacing the stock one anyway.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:57 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,857 Likes on 4,111 Posts

Originally Posted by Vic Bronco
If you have the cash I'd suggest getting the flush mount fuel cap and gauge from HD, they really make a huge improvement in the way the tank line flows, and the installation is pretty much identical to replacing the stock one anyway.
I have to second Vic Bronco's recommendation for the flush mount fuel cap and gauge kit from HD. If you have the funds, the install not difficult.
The left cap has an LED display indicating the fuel level. The right cap pops up with a 1/4 counter-clockwise turn so it can be removed to fill tank.

Old 12-22-2012, 06:41 PM
rs1971
Novice

Originally Posted by Bone Doc
I have to second Vic Bronco's recommendation for the flush mount fuel cap and gauge kit from HD. If you have the funds, the install not difficult.
The left cap has an LED display indicating the fuel level. The right cap pops up with a 1/4 counter-clockwise turn so it can be removed to fill tank.

Those look awesome. I'm convinced

Old 12-22-2012, 07:02 PM
Vic Bronco
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bone Doc
I have the same speedo, but in km/h only. Pretty nice little unit.

The flush mount gauges are a bit pricey, but definitely improve the lines of the tank. My last bike had them, my current bike will likely get them eventually.

Old 12-22-2012, 07:57 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,857 Likes on 4,111 Posts

Originally Posted by Vic Bronco
I have the same speedo, but in km/h only. Pretty nice little unit.

The flush mount gauges are a bit pricey, but definitely improve the lines of the tank. My last bike had them, my current bike will likely get them eventually.
I definitely agree with you on both points.

I really don't use the km/h scale but you never know where the bike will take you. Most likely, unless you travel into the States on your bike, you have no need for the mph scale. But, you can't purchase this speedo where the km/h scale is the primary scale and mph is secondary. I actually like the analog speedos, like ours, more than the looks of the digital ones. The ability to change the color of the backlight is very nice. I have a blue backlight that matches the color of the flush mount fuel gauge and the digital oil pressure gauge.

The flush mount fuel cap and gauge kit really gives the tanks a seamless look. Certainly one of the better accessories HD thought of.

Quick Reply: Scratched up the fuel gauge window.