Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel Sizes - Ride Differences on a Fatboy

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 02:48 PM
TNB
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Wheel Sizes - Ride Differences on a Fatboy

I'm getting ready to finally pull the plug on some new wheels for my 2010 Fatboy Lo. I'm considering a set of RideWright Fat Daddy 50 spoke wheels since I still seem to prefer the more retro look of spoke wheels. Probably, an 18x5.5 Rear and 21x3.25 Front.

Although the fitment chart on RW's website currently only goes up to 2009 from what I saw for an FLSTF, they have 16's-19's & 21's for the front and 16's-18's for the rear. More information can be found at the link below.

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/014...Sheet.pdf?1330

Anyway, I've read numerous posts against using a 21" wheel in the front though none of the posts mentioned the width (there is also a 21x2.15). However, most of the posts I read are real "old". One even claimed that one of the venders on this site didn't recommend a 21" wheel though the poster failed to state any reasons why a 21" was not recommended. It is my understanding that the front fender needs to be raised, but there is also a fender lift kit now. In addition, I figure that there have been "tire" size changes since the original postings.

I prefer the look of the "wider" tires and don't want to have to stretch tires to make them fit nor do I want them to rub. I also don't really want to lower the front end though it's my understanding that a Progressive Lowering kit will work with the Ricor Intiminators I already have installed though I have not confirmed this yet.

I guess in reality, I'm trying to figure out if a "short" person like me would also be better suited for a 16x5.5/17x6.0 Rear and 18x3.5/19x3.0 Front over something like the 18x5.5 Rear and 21x3.25 Front. The bike already has Shotgun Shocks though I prefer to ride it "low".

Any constructive feedback on the ride differences between the stock size and the sizes mentioned above would be appreciated as well as any issues regarding the fitment.

Merry Christmas.

Last edited by TNB; 12-25-2012 at 03:45 PM.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:01 PM
olongapo1
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

TBN,

I can provide a couple facts to answer part of your questions. I have 2 bikes. A Fatboy and a Night Train. The Train comes stock with a 21 inch 90 series tire which always felt a little twitchy due to being so narrow. I purchased a wider 21 x 3.25 inch rim from Hog Pro and mounted a wider 120 series tire. The wider tire made the bike much more stable. Based on these results, I believe that a 21 x 2.15 rim and appropriate sized tire would be to narrow for a Fatboy and dramatically change the handling characteristics that you're used to.

As an experiment, prior to mounting the wider wheel and tire combo onto my Train, I mocked it up on the Fatboy and Yes I had to remove the fender to mount it.

Summery: I recommend a rim width of 3.25 or 3.50 if possible, and a 120 or larger series tire.

Old 12-25-2012, 08:28 PM
kozy22
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't see why you would have any issues with a 21/3.5x18/4.25. That's what I run and only time I notice any difference is when going slow ( like walking it) and turning. As for height I think the 21" raised my bike about 1/4 " and with shotgun you can tail drag with no worries. I have my front end all stock shotgun in back.

Old 12-25-2012, 09:12 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

On a fatboy a 19" wheel is as big as you can go without changing your front fender. You want a 3 .5 rim in a 21 or 3" is what they usually come in a 19". As far as the rear I would get a Sinister and a 17x6 as that will give the 200 tire a wider look than the 18x5.5 which will not be as wide as it is stock since the stock rear wheel on your bike is a 6" wide rim.

On my fatboy I run a 21x3.5 front and a 16x3.5 rear as it is an older fatboy. There are choices to make. Are you going for all chrome with stainless spokes? I do balck rim, black hub, black spokes and chrome nipples like I just slapped on my Dyna. On teh Dyna it is a 21x2.15 as it has a narrower front end than your fatboy. The chrome provides a bit of contrast in an otherwise black world.

Let's review again, 19" is teh biggest with the stock fender on the front. 18x5.5 or 17x6 in the rear, or 16x6 if that size is made. If you need help feel free to call me at the shop. I'm in early tomorrow morning.

Old 12-26-2012, 12:27 AM
TNB
Road Master

I'm pretty set on black rim, hub, and spokes. I've been tossing the idea of nipples in either chrome or a dark red/burgundy though leaning more toward chrome. One reason is that I have yet to see nipples in dark red/burgundy, so I don't know how close they would be to my seat(s) and bib(s). The other reason would in case I decided to change the upholstery down the road.

Re size, from what I have read so far a 17x6 (stock size) should provide a better ride than a 18x5.5 though the 18" allows more of a wheel to be seen. The thing is that I don't know how much more, especially since the rotor hides the wheel on one side and the side arm bag covers part of the other side. My after market pipes do open up the wheel somewhat. Seems like a trade off, i.e. wider tire v. more wheel showing. How much more? Is it actually 1"? Increase in saddle height?

21x3.25 front with fender lift kit looking good so far.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:24 AM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor

I just checked my Sinister chart and they only do a 16x6, not a 17x6. My mistake, sorry about that. I don;t think the ride with the 18 will be bad but you need to decide if you want wider or more spoke. I just went 18 on the rear of my dyna and the ride is still great. It just sits a little bit higher.

I prefer more spoke to be seen. My bike has super tall 14" shocks so the fender is way up there and the bags block the wheel a bit but you get the idea with an 18.

In contrast, here is the softail with a 16. The air ride is up all the way.

Old 12-26-2012, 12:40 PM
TNB
Road Master

Originally Posted by Hogpro
I just checked my Sinister chart and they only do a 16x6, not a 17x6. My mistake, sorry about that. I don;t think the ride with the 18 will be bad but you need to decide if you want wider or more spoke. I just went 18 on the rear of my dyna and the ride is still great. It just sits a little bit higher.

I prefer more spoke to be seen. My bike has super tall 14" shocks so the fender is way up there and the bags block the wheel a bit but you get the idea with an 18.

In contrast, here is the softail with a 16. The air ride is up all the way.
When I put the air ride up all the way, I am on my toes. Too bad about not making a 17x6 since now you have me thinking that the stock size may be the better ride. On Drew's bike (I am assuming that is Drew's bike anyway), the 16 looks good but he has a white wall. No white walls for me. Doesn't Drew also have RideWrights? If so, what is the difference between Sinister and RideWrights? Is it just more of a color and engraving choice?

Will send you a pm.

Last edited by TNB; 12-26-2012 at 01:35 PM.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:11 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by TNB
When I put the air ride up all the way, I am on my toes. Too bad about not making a 17x6 since now you have me thinking that the stock size may be the better ride. On Drew's bike (I am assuming that is Drew's bike anyway), the 16 looks good but he has a white wall. No white walls for me. Doesn't Drew also have RideWrights? If so, what is the difference between Sinister and RideWrights? Is it just more of a color and engraving choice?

Will send you a pm.
I responded to your PM. As far as the burgundy for the nipples I don't think that will provide nearly as much contrast as the chrome. Even if your bike does not have any other chrome I think that the chrome looks better. Here is an example. Black rim with red hub and red nipples. The red hub sets it off a bit more, but you see very little of the hub when the wheel is mounted on the bike on a bagger due to the dual disc hub and rotors. I don't think there is enough contrast between a burgundy and black to make it stand out enough. Just my thoughts.

Old 12-26-2012, 03:47 PM
TNB
Road Master

Thanks for responding to the PM. That color "fire engine" red is not the "red" I would use on my bike.

Old 12-26-2012, 03:50 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor

I know it's not the color you would be getting. I think a burgundy is too dark to have a good amount of contrast to make the wheel really pop. Just my opinion.

Quick Reply: Wheel Sizes - Ride Differences on a Fatboy