Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Softail Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.

P

Old 12-28-2012, 11:33 AM
Outstanding HDF Member

water cooling just means bigger motors that make more power.. nothing wrong with that.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d168/cpljbunting/tumblr_lbqas6jFcQ1qaynpwo1_500.jpg
Old 12-28-2012, 11:43 AM

who knows, like i said.. take it for what it is worth. from shop manager at harley dealership.. that is it. had a drawing of the supposed electra-glide system for his desktop background image. have not seen anything on internet about it.

personally, no problem with it. every bike prior to my first 2003 softail std. was water cooled.

mike...
2012 FLSTN
MCC seat mod!
Old 12-28-2012, 01:13 PM
Talking Technology leaders

A lot of guys were pissed when the first horse buggy got a steam powered motor. Some even said they would stop riding in buggys all together. Then the petrol powered horse cart rumor started. Wow even more outrage!

Harley slowly evolves but still stays 20 steps behind the rest of the world. By 2014 or so they figure its time. Liquid cooled motorcycles first appeared in 1896 and Harley figures its not a fad anymore?
Old 12-28-2012, 01:33 PM
Senior Rider

It's coming at some point. I don't believe it will be 2014.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:41 PM
Club Member

I think liquid cooled Harleys will probably happen at some point in time, wouldn't guess as to when. Baggers first would be logical.

Question for you engineering types - Wouldn't a larger external oil cooler (with a lot more capacity) accomplish the same thing as conventional liquid cooling (radiator) ?
Old 12-28-2012, 01:48 PM
Hang Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt_Jim View Post
water cooling just means bigger motors that make more power.. nothing wrong with that.
that's what Busas are for .......
Old 12-28-2012, 01:49 PM
Outstanding HDF Member

I was not aware of the fact that this topic comes up every year, does it really? I can't believe Harley would be so dumb and out of touch with their prospective target groups to build, sell or offer ONLY water cooled Harley's. That, IMHO, would be a devastating blow to their market share on Motorcycles. I for one would NEVER buy a water cooled Harley, ever! In fact, I would NEVER buy a water cooled motorcycle of any brand of bike. The bike I now have is probably my last bike unless I decide to go and get me something like the "70" Electra glide, a 2nd bike, and build a complete and total street beast out of it.
. 98" stroker motor, High compression pistons, Manual compression release, SE heads that have been flowed, ported, polished with new and bigger valves and springs. Reaper 574 cams, SE perfect fit pushrods, Dynojet powervision, SE 6 speed with hydraulic clutch, 39" Samsons, 14" Gangsters with all internals, shotgun on back, progressive mono's up front, Custom seats and backrests and chromed out.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:58 PM
Outstanding HDF Member

yeah..but why? Is it just because of tradition? Triumphs are also air-cooled, but I'm not familiar with any other brands that still are.. Maybe I'm just willing to accept change more than others, but aside from having an ugly radiator on the front the downtubes, I'm just not grasping the problem with HD going water.. aside from tradition.. hell..even my computer is water cooled..

Click the image to open in full size.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d168/cpljbunting/tumblr_lbqas6jFcQ1qaynpwo1_500.jpg
Old 12-28-2012, 01:59 PM

http://thekneeslider.com/1947-water-...lehead-engine/
Old 12-28-2012, 02:14 PM
Road Warrior

So guys like the way a Harley looks and how it sounds (even though we all change out the stock exhaust as soon as we can) if they retain these two attributes why would it matter if they were liquid cooled? Would it really suck to have a better running more reliable bike?

Really going to miss all you guys who just cant do it, maybe some of the metric guys will come over to a Harley now...I guess there's an *** for every seat
2005 Deluxe - 98 Big bore kit, HQ575 cams, TTS, Shotgun Shock Rr / Progressive Frt, Burley 1 1/4 beach bars, DNA Fat Spoke / SS brake rotors, Ness Retro footboards, Billet calipers, HD low pro console, HD Stainless cables, LED signal/brake conversion with strobe, LePera custom, Fig Eng. A/C, Samson mini cholos, Adjure with HID headlamp and a little chrome here and there etc...

Old 12-28-2012, 02:14 PM

P