Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quest for the right muffler

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 07:58 PM
cgmartine
Road Master
Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Quest for the right muffler

When I bought my 2006 Heritage Classic, it had Vance & Hines mufflers, which were too loud. I had them changed to Screaming Eagle II's, but I also was not happy with the sound. I changed to "quiet" baffles. Too loud still for my taste. I am now on stock mufflers from a 2007 Heritage Deluxe, with welded in baffles. I installed Q118 and Q158 TT inserts. No effect. Still too loud. I hate that it sounds like an old Volkswagen. (Yes, the enginer runs great) In my quest to find the best muffler, I am now considering getting some mufflers from a touring HD. I just wanted it as quiet as possible. Any suggestions?

Old 01-07-2013, 08:17 PM
Motown Strag
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cgmartine
When I bought my 2006 Heritage Classic, it had Vance & Hines mufflers, which were too loud. I had them changed to Screaming Eagle II's, but I also was not happy with the sound. I changed to "quiet" baffles. Too loud still for my taste. I am now on stock mufflers from a 2007 Heritage Deluxe, with welded in baffles. I installed Q118 and Q158 TT inserts. No effect. Still too loud. I hate that it sounds like an old Volkswagen. (Yes, the enginer runs great) In my quest to find the best muffler, I am now considering getting some mufflers from a touring HD. I just wanted it as quiet as possible. Any suggestions?

A 2 into 1 Supertrapp Supermeg is adjustable...make it quiet or loosen it up a little for better performance, your call.

Last edited by Motown Strag; 01-07-2013 at 08:22 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:18 PM
cgmartine
Road Master

I want to keep the 2 into 2 pipes, will Supertrapp sell you just the mufflers? I went to their site, but it seems everything they sell is for 2 into 1. I don't want to replace the header pipes, just the mufflers. $1,000 is too much for me at this time. Thx.

Old 01-10-2013, 01:12 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 813 Likes on 799 Posts

Might check out a set of Rush's with 1 1/2 baffles..

I run the 2'' and love them. the 1 1/2er should be a lot milder..

Old 01-10-2013, 01:25 PM
mswing1234
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So...if I read your post correctly, you're back to the stock set-up for your bike, more or less, and the sound is still too loud? You mention possibly trying touring mufflers. Have you heard a Harley-Davidson motorcycle that you thought sounded good (for you)? Sounds like you've already thrown a bit of money at the issue without hearing a set-up you like to base it on.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:12 PM
cgmartine
Road Master

And therein lies the problem...I don't know anyone who owns a Harley that I could listen to their bike and find out what they have. I guess I will have to hang around my indy shop and see and hear other bikes. I have heard other Harley's going down the freeway with smooth, great sound, and others that I could not stand. But I have never been able to corner one and actually listen to one up close. I will need to do that instead of trying to find the sound of my dreams. Thx

Old 01-11-2013, 10:13 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you given ear plugs any thought?

Old 01-12-2013, 06:21 AM
bigjosh42
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Goldwing

Old 01-12-2013, 10:19 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 813 Likes on 799 Posts

And therein lies the problem...I don't know anyone who owns a Harley that I could listen to their bike and find out what they have. I guess I will have to hang around my indy shop and see and hear other bikes. I have heard other Harley's going down the freeway with smooth, great sound, and others that I could not stand. But I have never been able to corner one and actually listen to one up close. I will need to do that instead of trying to find the sound of my dreams. Thx
Ur own answer is usually what we suggest that those who ask most all Muffler/Pipes questions to do.. Though I would go to a Dealerships rather than just an INDY shop.. Probably will See/Hear at least 10X the number of bikes on weekends. Also in the spring our dealer has a spring blow-out and in one morning there are probably 500 bikes or more that come in... Now thats a BUNCH of bikes to look at and Hear.

Sound/ Loudness is soooo personal, and Hundreds of time I/we've suggested the others who want the JUST right sound to---

Go to dealers on Saturday/Sunday mornings and just sit and listen/look for what they like. Or If Ur have any bike shows around, just go to a few of them and see if U find one U like.

Here's another company that takes stock muffs and puts in a new baffle. U send in Ur old one, If they are like new, and they send U back ones they have already modded.. for $169 it seems like fairly good deal if U like them.

I've never heard there in real life, but several others in here have been happy with them..

http://www.americancustom.com/products/slip-on-mufflers

Heres there Streel legals baffles sound bite.

http://www.americancustom.com/listen/

When I was trying it figure out what I wanted back in 07 I know that the sound bites on the ole-Puter was NOT a good way to pick them. Really hard to get good results with them.

Good pickings and hopes this Helps Ya..