Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pressure gauge

Old 01-11-2013, 09:08 PM
skiddd
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an oil dipstick temp gauge and monitor it a lot, I can predict what the temp is pretty well now. When I switched to AMSOIL I got at least a 15 degree drop in average temperature. I like the way the oil pressure gauge looks and am considering one now, not sure if its needed though. I am an add on ***** though....

QUESTION: Are these gauges hard to install on a 2000 Heritage Softail Classic(FLSTC)? is there any calibrating that needs to be done? I'm good with a wrench, just wanna get n idea. Thanks much....

Last edited by skiddd; 01-11-2013 at 09:15 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:29 PM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

It's a tough disease to try to cope with, isn't it skiddd? I can go a month, maybe 2 before I can't take it anymore and I have to go out and crawl all over my bike to see what else I can do to it, remove something from it or add something to it. Don't think for one minute these vendors don't know that too Dude. It's like crack, or so I have been told, you just can't stop once you start! Also, I am glad to see your comment on the Amsoil too! I have seen the same thing in my bike with my digital gauge, I lost between 12 and 15 degree's using the Amsoil. I have had guys say that's impossible, I don't know what to tell them! I have checked my gauge in the house with boiling water, different degree's of temperatures with with water and matched it up with a turkey temperatuer thing and they match up very closely. My bike LOVES Amsoil! I also always used the 75/90 gear oil in my tranny. I got talked into trying something else, that shockproof stuff and man did my bike hate that stuff. I went back to the 75/90 purrs like a kitten now and shifts as smooth as silk again.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:40 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by brettnbama
Don't add gauges to your softails! Now that I have the road glide, I am always checking the gauges, writing and wondering what is normal...on the crossbones, I only have a speedo and fuel gauge...ignorance is bliss!
While I agree I wonder if I woulda spotted an oil issue with my motor before I spun a rod bushing. I am installing one this time even though I will have a better oil pump and rods.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:34 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,220 Likes on 4,770 Posts

Had a Harley and it did leak. I went with the Jeerzee customs fittings and lines and shouldn't ever have to worry about them. As much as I hate ness ****, I replaced the H-D gauge with one of theirs last year and so far so good. I did get about three years out of the Harley gauge before it started leaking.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:58 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,784 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Originally Posted by skiddd
I have an oil dipstick temp gauge and monitor it a lot, I can predict what the temp is pretty well now. When I switched to AMSOIL I got at least a 15 degree drop in average temperature. I like the way the oil pressure gauge looks and am considering one now, not sure if its needed though. I am an add on ***** though....

QUESTION: Are these gauges hard to install on a 2000 Heritage Softail Classic(FLSTC)? is there any calibrating that needs to be done? I'm good with a wrench, just wanna get n idea. Thanks much....
Very easy install. Instructions tell you to remove front exhaust pipe, but I was able to do it without. No calibration required. I like the way they look, too.

Old 01-12-2013, 03:33 AM
skiddd
Supporter

Originally Posted by machinistmate
Very easy install. Instructions tell you to remove front exhaust pipe, but I was able to do it without. No calibration required. I like the way they look, too.

Thanks for info........

Old 01-12-2013, 03:42 AM
skiddd
Supporter

Originally Posted by tbonetony06
It's a tough disease to try to cope with, isn't it skiddd? I can go a month, maybe 2 before I can't take it anymore and I have to go out and crawl all over my bike to see what else I can do to it, remove something from it or add something to it. Don't think for one minute these vendors don't know that too Dude. It's like crack, or so I have been told, you just can't stop once you start! Also, I am glad to see your comment on the Amsoil too! I have seen the same thing in my bike with my digital gauge, I lost between 12 and 15 degree's using the Amsoil. I have had guys say that's impossible, I don't know what to tell them! I have checked my gauge in the house with boiling water, different degree's of temperatures with with water and matched it up with a turkey temperatuer thing and they match up very closely. My bike LOVES Amsoil! I also always used the 75/90 gear oil in my tranny. I got talked into trying something else, that shockproof stuff and man did my bike hate that stuff. I went back to the 75/90 purrs like a kitten now and shifts as smooth as silk again.
So true bro, crack might be cheaper though lol. The Amsoil temp drop is indeed true(verified by you lol) I was ridin with a friend before we did oil changes(dino) went and changed oil, put in AMSOIL and SHOWED HIM THE DROP AND HE STILL DENIED IT. I don't even argue the point anymore, waste of time. I put 20/50 in all 3(engine, primary and tranny) I never tried the 75/90 in the tranny but I might this time around, thanks man.....

Old 01-12-2013, 04:36 PM
skiddd
Supporter

Originally Posted by machinistmate

First thing this morning I went to Harley and bought an oil pressure gauge. Install is done(easy) I hate the plastic line it comes with and would like to change it out with a copper line anyone know the size I need? Or maybe a braided line will look good, anyone have a place to get one?

Old 01-12-2013, 04:40 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,220 Likes on 4,770 Posts

Jerzee customs

Old 01-12-2013, 05:02 PM
skiddd
Supporter

Thanks bro.... I'll check now....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil pressure gauge