Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pressure gauge

Old 01-10-2013, 04:59 PM
jd8181
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil pressure gauge

I am going to be putting an oil pressure guage on my 03 night train and I was wondering what is the best oil pressure gauge out there? I had heard from some people tht Harley's leaks (not sure if that is true or not). I will probably make my own bracket so I am pretty much wondering about just the guage. Also should I go with 60lb not 100lb correct?

Old 01-10-2013, 05:29 PM
olongapo1
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Great Upgrade. I can't understand why anyone would run without one. The Harley Kit includes: Gauge, Bracket, Hose, and T-fitting. The T-fitting allows for the connection of both the Hose and the oil pressure sending unit. The Hose in the Harley kit is plastic and in my opinion substandard. JP Cycles sells a SS Braided hose designed as a direct replacement for the plastic Harley Hose.

Additionally, the gauge is filled with oil to dampen vibration of the needle. The oil is poured into the gauge through a hole in the side of the gauge and capped with a rubber plug. This plug will sometimes pop out spilling the oil from the gauge. You can refill the gauge with a light 3 in1 oil if you haven't lost the plug.

The best Oil Gauge Kit I've seen on the market is from "Jerzee Customs".
http://www.jerzeecustoms.com/HDOilTrimKitTCP.htm

And yes, a 60 psi gauge is sufficient.

Old 01-10-2013, 05:32 PM
SweetPee
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

olongapo1 beat me to it!

I also highly recommend http://www.jerzeecustoms.com/GaugesOilProducts.htm

Bought one this past summer after many recommendations and it is very good quality!

Old 01-10-2013, 05:47 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,531 Likes on 3,054 Posts

For your consideration:

From personal experience, I can tell you that a volt gauge is way more important than an oil pressure gauge. Three times the volts dropped unexpectedly (over the past 6 years / 100,000 miles,) on me and all three times I got the bike to a safe spot before I shut it off. Electrical problems are silent problems

Oil pressure problems are easy however. Aside from the oil light, you can hear an oil pressure problem long before you encounter engine damage. The lifters start to clack. Even with a gauge, the odds are you'll hear it before you look at that gauge to see what's wrong.

Electra Glide Standards came with volt gauges and without oil gauges for just that reason. Once your bike is warmed up, you'll never use your oil pressure gauge.

But whatever you do, I'm sure it'll look good.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:31 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,784 Likes on 9,863 Posts

I just replaced my Harley gauge with one from Autometer. The H-D one lasted about a year. Autometer was $32 at a local, I've seen them at Dennis Kirk for the same price but you pay for shipping. The one I picked up is the 100 psi, but if they had a 60 i would have bought that instead. The fittings you can pick up from your local hardware keeping in mind the lack of room. i had my local H-D order a stainless one from Russel. Hope this helps

Old 01-10-2013, 06:58 PM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 206 Likes on 168 Posts

With the newer motors oil pressure gauges could be more useful since the TCs run 30+ psi, but for most Harleys of the last 100 years an oil pressure gage is nearly useless since it will almost always read low if not register at all. Old Ironheads/Pans/Shovels could sometimes see peaks of less than 10-15 psi, often lower and not even displaying on the gauge at all.

Last edited by Scuba10jdl; 01-10-2013 at 07:03 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:31 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,857 Likes on 4,111 Posts

I am using the HD digital oil pressure gauge.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...0&default=none

Yes, it is pricey but digital is easier to read at a glance than an analog gauge. No concerns of oil leakage.

My 2012 Heritage generally runs in the 34-35 psi range.

@ Stiggy
I have made a recommendation to the MoCo that they should come out with a matching digital voltage gauge. We'll see...

Old 01-10-2013, 09:08 PM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't add gauges to your softails! Now that I have the road glide, I am always checking the gauges, writing and wondering what is normal...on the crossbones, I only have a speedo and fuel gauge...ignorance is bliss!

Old 01-10-2013, 10:38 PM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I also have the HD digital gauge and I love it. It also add's a little something to the bike when people are standing around it and looking it over. It even looks a bit sweeter at night too. Yes, a bit pricey but that has yet to curve my addiction to modifications to my bike. I had a guy checking it out 1 night at the bar out in the parking lot. We were sitting on each others bike making small talk. When I started my bike it lit up, blue, and he fell in love with it, his bike was custom painted in Blue so he had to have one. I seen him the next weekend at a different watering hole and sure enough, his old gauge was gone and he had the digital gauge on his bike. It did look good, I have to admit with it matching the color of his bike.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:49 PM
HDeuce
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by machinistmate
I just replaced my Harley gauge with one from Autometer. The H-D one lasted about a year. Autometer was $32 at a local, I've seen them at Dennis Kirk for the same price but you pay for shipping. The one I picked up is the 100 psi, but if they had a 60 i would have bought that instead. The fittings you can pick up from your local hardware keeping in mind the lack of room. i had my local H-D order a stainless one from Russel. Hope this helps
Any pictures of your setup? Also do you have any part numbers for the Autometer gauge and Russel fitting? I have an HD gauge and it started to leak. I tightened it up and it started to leak again.
Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil pressure gauge