Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fatboy 93 ... is her the chosen one?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2020, 08:29 AM
Fab fabulous
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fatboy 93 ... is her the chosen one?

Hi everybody,
like ever... first of all sorry for my English...I’m still improve it!
my name is Fabrizio and I'm an Italian guy.
I’m here, in Maryland, from about four months and I will stay here for about two years. In Italy I’ve a street triple, a Yamaha R6 for the track, and a old Cagiva mito. But here I’m looking for a fatboy because I want to try the “American way of motorcycling”.

I’ve already try a 93 fatboy and in the next month I will give, eventually, a response to the owner to make the deal. I’m only perplexed on some details of the motorcycle,

This fatboy look in good shape but I'm not ("yet" i hope) an Harley Davidson rider and so I can't evaluate perfectly everithing.
The Motorcycle it's big, heavy, and with a great torque, but ovever the brake are less effective than I'm expecting...
The engine is overbored, with a mikuni carb, and an additional oil radiator it's also installed. The engine starts (not very well.. but's it starts) at the second attempt.

I've some question about the dumper of the handlebar...when I ride the handlebar seems rotated (a little bit) to the right but the wheel is straight.
It's depend from the dumper and it's a little damage or can hide something of more serious? (ps. the bike never seems to have fallen)

The other question is about the neutral light, it doesn't work and the front turning light work only when you turn on the front beam... are these thing typical or recurring problem on the fatboy?

Anyway the motorcycle look amazing and I hope that these problem are easy to fix... the price it's a little below 5000 (it's fair?).

And another thing, someone know if in Maryland there are rules about the pollution that affect the circulation of the "old" motorcycle?

Sorry for bother you (and sorry again for my english)... I only need some advice and someone with talk about and that introduce me this
amazing and historical motorcycle brand.

Thank you
Fab

Old 02-25-2020, 10:01 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,398 Likes on 4,011 Posts

The price is a fair price if it's in good condition.... this bike has a few issues...

The handlebars being off center is a red flag... from your pic, it could just be a handlebar damper... or it could be more... The electrical issue could be tough to trouble shoot.. could be wiring, or other numerous things....

If you really want this bike, it would be worth paying a shop, dealer or independent, to do an inspection since you're new to these motorcycles.... Then I'd offer the seller his price, minus what the inspection says it would cost to fix the bike...

Good luck, and if this one doesn't work out, don't worry..... It is a buyers' market right now, and there are a lot of good, older bikes around... just take your time looking and the right one will pop up....

Last edited by hattitude; 02-25-2020 at 10:03 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Fab fabulous (02-25-2020)
Old 02-26-2020, 12:05 PM
Fab fabulous
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok,
thank you, your advice is wise!
I don't want to get a bike with problem because I want to use it every day for commuting.

Anyway I've only some problem to find someone to do an inspection, I only know the All American Harley-Davidson shop that sell Harley but I don't know if they can
do that kind of service out of the shop.

Someone knows some shop or dealer around California (MD) that can do this kind of ispection?

thank you for the advice.