Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailering Motorcycle

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 01:23 PM
keikanca
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trailering Motorcycle

Ok, so I know there are those of you who would never think of trailering your sled (and I used to be one you), but, I am thinking about getting a single rail trailer "The One" by the USA Trailer Store in Greencastle, South Carolina. The trailer is a basic ball mount single rail system and weighs about 250 lbs. With my Fat Boy, I'll be towing about 1,000 total lbs. My question is, has anyone used this trailer before? Also, I'm towing on the back of a 2009 Jeep Wrangler rated to a 2,000 lbs. towing capacity, but have heard some pretty nasty stories about trying to tow a bike with a Wrangler. Any experiences? Thanks!

Old 02-04-2013, 01:35 PM
lgenf
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

with a Jeep I would make sure to buy a trailer with a rock chip guard

I didn't hear you mention that

I currently tow the wife's (fat boy) and my (sg) bike on a dual rail Kendon with a rock guard - but with a 4x4 excursion, and I can tell you how nice it is to know they are protected back there from anything my tires pick up

Old 02-04-2013, 01:50 PM
Ramboamt
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Never towed a trailer with a Jeep but I had a '66 Ford Bronco that had a 3" lift kit and as stated earlier I had a stone guard installed on the front of the trailer. The only real problem is that the Jeep, and the Bronco for that matter, are short wheel base and with that being said any movement in the front of the vehicle equates to a short moment arm and the input into the trailer can be quick, which is to say the trailer will wag back and forth really easy and the cycles can become larger causing the trailer to, as they say "Wag the dog", cause you to loose control of the towing vehicle.
On this small of a trailer you might want to extend the goose neck to lengthen the wheel base of the trailer, I did this to my trailer as it was only 4' wide by 8' long, so that the moment arm is longer.
A good set of "Sway stabilizer bars" mounted to the trailer will also help.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:01 PM
keikanca
Cruiser

I'll check into a rock guard and also something to extend the goose neck! Thanks!

Old 02-04-2013, 02:27 PM
HarryJ
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default The One

I've been looking into the same trailer, but I've been hesitant 'cause I don't need it until the summer. It does not come w/straps and there doesn't seem to be a built-in way to prevent the bike from tipping over should you make an emergency maneuver on the road. The only person I've talked to about trailering said he was scared to death the whole time. His bike is a show bike though, so I think he's nervous any time he's not riding it. Don't own a jeep, sorry, got a Ford w/a 2" hitch. Like to know what you decide and how it works. HJ

Old 02-04-2013, 02:43 PM
ryanek9freak
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I learned the hard way to just save up for an enclosed trailer. Protects the bike from everything, including theft.

Old 02-04-2013, 03:29 PM
keikanca
Cruiser

Originally Posted by HarryJ
I've been looking into the same trailer, but I've been hesitant 'cause I don't need it until the summer. It does not come w/straps and there doesn't seem to be a built-in way to prevent the bike from tipping over should you make an emergency maneuver on the road. The only person I've talked to about trailering said he was scared to death the whole time. His bike is a show bike though, so I think he's nervous any time he's not riding it. Don't own a jeep, sorry, got a Ford w/a 2" hitch. Like to know what you decide and how it works. HJ
I've been looking at several trailers - the One, Kendon upright and Stinger. The Kendon is about $2000.00, the Stinger is $1500.00 and the One is $900.00. None of them seem to have any type of secure wheel chock and basically use straps to keep the bike on, so it seems like the price difference is based on ability to fold the trailer up or size of the single rail. I'll let you know what I decide on. Thanks!

Old 02-18-2013, 03:10 PM
HarryJ
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Update?

Any progress on the trailer choice? I saw one called the "Toy Carrier" that is enclosed and lockable, pretty nice actually, for about $3200. Then I saw one called "Trailer in a Bag" which is a little bit like "The One" but it comes apart and stores in a bag. That one is around $1000 too. I like the single bike size, storability and price, but I can't get passed the guy who said "I learned the hard way to get an enclosed trailer." Seems the smart way to go to eliminate a LOT of potential headaches.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:39 PM
jadlh
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a small single axle flat bed with a tall hinged steel ramp that I put a chock in, it carries my FB nicely but it is not a covered trailer which so many have when pulling your bike for a distance. It would be nice to have a enclosed trailer but I only have so much money and so much room on my small property.
If I were to do this over I would get an enclosed trailer.