Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

12.5" Chubby Apes on Softail Custom: How Much Longer Should My New Cables Be?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 04:55 PM
drspencer
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 12.5" Chubby Apes on Softail Custom: How Much Longer Should My New Cables Be?

Putting a set of Wild Ones 12.5" Chubby Apes (WO502) on my 2007 Softail Custom (FXSTC).

1) How much longer should I order my new cables (I've been told +4", for all cables)?

2) Where should I buy the wire extension kit to internally wire the bars, and how much longer should this be?

3) Would like to use HD parts, as I get a discount. Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about HD Diamondback cables? Is it true that they are overwhelmingly bright looking?

4) Anything I'm forgetting?

Thanks

Old 03-07-2013, 06:57 PM
drf7728
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Burly makes a nice kit. 200 bucks everything is there.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:02 PM
Sofmech
Cruiser

Get with the guys at Hill Country Customs. I ordered a set of 16" Chubbies, pre wired with chrome controls and corect length cables as a package deal. If you just need the cables they may be able to get you the right size. I had a great experience with them.

http://www.hillcountrycustomcycles.com/

Old 03-07-2013, 07:03 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I would say +4 to +6 would be right. Namz is the place for wire extensions. For cables I have not herd anything bad about the Diamondback cables other then the higher cost. Magnumshilding, Burley and Barnetts all make good cables which are avail in black or silver. The choice is yours. Have a look and see what you like. Good luck with the work and enjoy when your done.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:38 PM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by drspencer
Putting a set of Wild Ones 12.5" Chubby Apes (WO502) on my 2007 Softail Custom (FXSTC).

1) How much longer should I order my new cables (I've been told +4", for all cables)?

2) Where should I buy the wire extension kit to internally wire the bars, and how much longer should this be?

3) Would like to use HD parts, as I get a discount. Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about HD Diamondback cables? Is it true that they are overwhelmingly bright looking?

4) Anything I'm forgetting?

Thanks
1. I went with +4 on my Wild One Chubby 12" Outlawz
2. NAMZ extensions are great....its what I used.
3. Don't know anything about Diamondback cables but I used Magnum Shielding and love them.
4. Not sure...just keep asking questions as they come up.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:26 PM
drspencer
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by ghoticov
1. I went with +4 on my Wild One Chubby 12" Outlawz
2. NAMZ extensions are great....its what I used.
3. Don't know anything about Diamondback cables but I used Magnum Shielding and love them.
4. Not sure...just keep asking questions as they come up.
Were your NAMZ wire extensions plug & play, or did they require soldering?
What length wire extension did you use to accommodate the new 12.5" bars?

BTW, always liked the look of your bike.

Thanks

Old 03-07-2013, 08:43 PM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Were your NAMZ wire extensions plug & play, or did they require soldering?
What length wire extension did you use to accommodate the new 12.5" bars?

BTW, always liked the look of your bike.

Thanks
Thanks!

I got the 4" NAMZ extensions. No, no soldering. You just have to take apart the molex connectors and add the extensions. Its not terribly difficult, just time cconsuming trying to figure out how to get the wires out of the connectors. Do a forum search on molex connectors...there is a lot of info on here about it, that's how I figured out how to do it.

Old 03-08-2013, 12:31 AM
drspencer
Road Warrior

Having a little trouble ordering the correct Diamondback 1-piece front brake line from the HD website.

I have a 2007 Softail Custom (FXSTC). Stock/OEM front brake line is part #42148-07. Stock front line is 2-piece, the length of which I do not know.

According to the HD website, there isn't a 1-piece Diamondback front brake line available, only a 'modular' 2-piece front brake line, that has separate upper & lower lines.

Is there any advantage/disadvantage to using the modular 2-piece line?

Also, I don't know what angle banjo fitting to order. They come in 0*, 35*, & 90*. Which do I need?

Thanks again.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:30 AM
belgiumfxstc
Intermediate

As said before - do a search on the forum.
Stock bars are 10" so when i installed 14" wild 1 outlawz i used the +8" extension kit but had to order the +8" extension for turnsignals separately (wired internally). I admit : +8" is more than long enough.
I soldered everything to be sure. Just take the time to match the colours of the extension kit with the stock wires.
For all cables (throttle+iddle+clutch) i used barnett braided cables +2" and a goodriche brake cable +4" (i think stock is 44")
Forum member rrambo wrote a very good tutorial on the installation of 16" rsd apes on a fatboylo that helped me a lot. Also on the website of Wild1 there is a section with technical wiring tips that is very usefull concerning the molex connectors.
Enjoy teh installation

Eric

Old 03-08-2013, 04:56 AM
Weevil
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 4 Posts

When I did my W502's on my Fatboy, I had to do +6" on throttle, idle, and clutch cables. 50" on the brake cable.

A 6" control wiring extension kit if you're comfortable cutting and soldering to make your control wiring splices. If not go 8". Any independent bike shop can sell you a control wiring extension kit.

On a side note; Hill Country Customs uses the cheapest control wire and switches I've seen. One look and I tossed them and proceeded to splice and solder my original OEM wires and switches for my apes.

I have a 2007 Softail Custom (FXSTC). Stock/OEM front brake line is part #42148-07. Stock front line is 2-piece, the length of which I do not know.

According to the HD website, there isn't a 1-piece Diamondback front brake line available, only a 'modular' 2-piece front brake line, that has separate upper & lower lines.

Is there any advantage/disadvantage to using the modular 2-piece line?

Also, I don't know what angle banjo fitting to order. They come in 0*, 35*, & 90*. Which do I need?
Here's a link to Magnum Shielding Cables website. It should go right to the 2007 Softail Custom cable measurements. Might help you figure out just what length you need.

Use the 2 piece modular brake line to avoid any headaches.

Use the same degree banjo bolts that you already took off or are about to. If your not sure, sounds like a ride to your local dealership is in order.

My Fatboy has a 90* at the front brake caliper, and I used a 35* at the front brake master cylinder on the handlebars. The 35* banjo fitting gets the brake line cable to the handlebars quicker than the 0* and with a smaller gap.

Last edited by Weevil; 03-08-2013 at 05:48 AM.

Quick Reply: 12.5" Chubby Apes on Softail Custom: How Much Longer Should My New Cables Be?