Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Couple of Questions for 2013 Fatboy

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 03:23 PM
Jersey_Marine
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple of Questions for 2013 Fatboy

Okay..It's my first post and I am brand new to Harley's as I just purchased my first one. I am new to Harley's but I am not new to motorcycles. I am coming off of 14 years of roadracing motorcycles in which most is different but a motorcycle is still a motorcycle...I would appreciate keeping the flames down if my questions seem easy and obvious to some who read this thread..
First question is does anyone have 16" Roland Sands King Apes on their Fatboy? If so do you like them? How was the install? What extended cable kit did you go with? I am thinking of getting the Roland Sands King Ape Black Ops bars and was throwing the idea around of doing it myself. Fishing all the wires through the bars. Etc
My second question is I am looking to put some Vance and Hines Big Radius pipes on with a Screaming Eagle Heavy Breather Air cleaner. Usually with race bikes we use Power Commanders to dial in the air/fuel mixture mapped according to the exhaust and air filter used. The bike is then dyno'd to create a linear line of power through all the RPM's. I want to stay away from a Power Commander or the Harley Version of their Power Commander or the Vance and Hines Fuel Pack...My question is can I have the ECU flashed to the exhaust and air filter? I am not looking for a complete linear line of power because I am not racing but I also dont want the bike to run too lean or too rich. I am not cheaping out. I just dont see the need in having a spot on dyno graph on a cruiser street bike. I just want it good enough to run without running lean or rich. Any input on this is greatly appreciated in advance

Old 03-08-2013, 03:50 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Welcome to the forum and the Harley side of life.
I have just installed 14" LA chopper bars on my bike. I like the feel and comfort so far.
Changing bars on your 2013 Fatboy is an easier process the years before 2011 as with the canbus wiring you no longer have to take apart any of the connectors to extend the wires. Namz Custom Cycle makes some real nice plug and play extensions for that. Cables are not to difficult either. The only problem I had was with the Upper ABS brake line on mine. Finding one that is long enough was a challenge but Harley makes an extended Diamondback line now as well as Magnumshielding.

As far as tuners go the Dynojet Power vision is very popular. It is not a piggy back unit like the power commander it will flash your ecm and has an auto tuning mode for mapping and adjusting your maps.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:20 PM
Jersey_Marine
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Misbehaven
Welcome to the forum and the Harley side of life.
I have just installed 14" LA chopper bars on my bike. I like the feel and comfort so far.
Changing bars on your 2013 Fatboy is an easier process the years before 2011 as with the canbus wiring you no longer have to take apart any of the connectors to extend the wires. Namz Custom Cycle makes some real nice plug and play extensions for that. Cables are not to difficult either. The only problem I had was with the Upper ABS brake line on mine. Finding one that is long enough was a challenge but Harley makes an extended Diamondback line now as well as Magnumshielding.

As far as tuners go the Dynojet Power vision is very popular. It is not a piggy back unit like the power commander it will flash your ecm and has an auto tuning mode for mapping and adjusting your maps.
Thank you very much for the input. The Harley dealer told me they would flash the ECU for 160 bucks but they didn't specify if their flash was going to be a very generic map or exhaust/air filter specific. I was leaning towards having the thieves at the dealer do it just for warranty purposes. I heard Harley can be sticklers when it comes to warranty issues and aftermarket stuff. I know about the Magnuson Act but Id rather not have the headache of arguing with Harley Davidson...If I use the Vance and Hines auto tune am I going to void my warranty? Thank you for the input. It is greatly appreciated

Old 03-08-2013, 05:24 PM
dansax
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

You can search just about any question you can think of on this forum. You'll save yourself the trouble of waiting for answers. There is a wealth of information on here.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:42 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member

The dealer flash is very generic. The bike will still be running on the lean side. They have stay EPA compliant.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:24 PM
Jersey_Marine
Cruiser

The dealer flash is very generic. The bike will still be running on the lean side. They have stay EPA compliant.

Just spoke to DynoJet. Looks like I'm getting the Power Vision. What an awesome product.. Thank you very much for that suggestion!

Old 03-08-2013, 07:06 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member

If you buy it from Fuelmotousa a forum sponsor here they will double your warranty and provide lifetime service. Help with mapping. Great guys to deal with.

http://www.fuelmotousa.com/

Old 03-08-2013, 07:18 PM
Jersey_Marine
Cruiser

If you buy it from Fuelmotousa a forum sponsor here they will double your warranty and provide lifetime service. Help with mapping. Great guys to deal with.

http://www.fuelmotousa.com/
Sounds good. I will do that...Even though I'm new to this forum I belong now and have belonged to in the past to other forums for vehicles that I own and have owned..Forums are great until you get a few tough guys that have slick comments then to only hide behind a computer monitor...I never could understand that and that has made me lose interest in a few forums over the years including over-officious moderators..I have orchestrated a few group buys on other forums as I feel the importance to support something that is enjoyable to many with a common interest. Any ideas of a good company that supports the forum to get the Big Radius Exhaust and Screaming Eagle Heavy Breather?

Old 03-08-2013, 07:28 PM
elizer
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

generally http://www.latus-harley-davidson.com/
or surdyke harley have the cheapest harley branded items.
As far as vance and hines... im not sure. You may want to also check into other brands as well unless ur set on the brand.

I got my power vision from fuel moto. I sent them a log and they sent me back a revised tune. They are good people.

As far as the internet tough guy thing... You have to let that roll off your back. Every forum u go to have em.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:57 PM
Redbeard
Stellar HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

Along with the tuners, Fuel Moto sells V&H exhaust and several different air intakes...one stop shopping!

Quick Reply: Couple of Questions for 2013 Fatboy