Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Starter Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 03:17 PM
WildBill_50
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Another Starter Thread

Back in October I replaced the starter on my 09 Heritage Classic FLSTC because the starter clutch would slip before the engine would crank. I read a few threads about the starters on ebay and decided to go that route. (Yes I know I probably shouldn't have messed with the cheap ebay ones.)

Well here I am about 5 months later and on first start it starts fine but if you shut it down after it has warmed up (like stop to gas up) and try to start it the starter kicks out prematurely and it sounds like someone put marbles in there. Let it sit for a while and it will start just fine.

I have a All ***** starter clutch on order and will rebuild the original starter but what I would like to know if there anything else to check to cause the starter clutch to go out? I have read about the compensator but all the threads say that if that is bad you will hear a loud noise and I don't get any loud noise when starting. I just don't want to be pulling the oil tank again in another 5-6 months. Thanks

Old 03-13-2013, 05:10 PM
snip0721
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when i had to replace my starter on my fatboy, i went with the allballs starter. nice unit. did the whole starter. if you use long ball allen sockets, it can be done without removing the oil tank. kinda tight but do-able. saves quite a bit of time, especally if your using the factory style hose clamps, requiring the correct tool, and the need to remove the rear splash guard and usually rear wheel.
any engine mods? usually bumps up the compression, and plays hell on hot starts. comp releases really helps on hot starts. i think they should be standard equitment...steve

Old 03-14-2013, 09:39 AM
WildBill_50
Road Master

Thanks Steve, I have heard you can pull the starter without pulling the tank. I'll have to take another look at it. The only mods are the mufflers (Rush slip-ons), K&N air filter, and Nightrider VIED's.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:47 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,538 Likes on 3,790 Posts

Been quite a few post on this. Not sure if you caught them all. On one a certain couple years around 1999-2001 or so needed a mod to a shim for generic fit-all starter for the solenoid plunger to travel correct distance. Like a lot of post never heard back on correct answer. One said the all ball clutch fixed his problem. I assume by marbles, you are hearing a sound like clicking two heavy jars together together very fast I assume? Was the starter you got on ebay new generic China part or a rebuild? Since the solenoid is a electrical magnet that pulls the clutch in and also connects the large connection to spin starter and requires a good 12.7 volts put your meter on your maintenance charger wire coming from your battery (assume you have this) and see what your voltage is dropping to. Should be above 9.8 volts or so. Could be your battery. Since you hear it still trying even when it kicks out it's not the starter bar switch or relay. Hase to be solenoid or maybe starter motor pulling so much amperage that the solenoid is losing it's share. If that is the case the starter gear box in a bind or wiring has a short.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...n-starter.html

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...mpensator.html

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...rustrated.html

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 03-14-2013 at 10:16 AM.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:52 AM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

I had the same issue with my Dyna with a 95 build and heads and cams. I replaced the ignition with a Daytona twin tec and it went away.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:16 PM
WildBill_50
Road Master

Ripsaw thanks for the reply. Yes the battery has been checked, not only with a voltmeter but also with a battery load tester and it checked good.

Then marbles I alluded to is like if you thru marbles in with some gears or the mis-meshing sound. This is what I would hear with the original starter but all the time and with it, it was a hit or miss if it was going to turn over the bike. This time it is a repeatable occurrence that when you have been riding a while and you shut it down and try to restart it shortly it will try to engage but kick out.

Thanks for the links. I have done research and read quite a few threads about the starters but non really seemed to fit what I was experiencing. The big thing was if there is something else I need to check while I have everything apart. Thanks