Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Great Footboards and No Pans

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 09:05 PM
gees63
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Footboards and No Pans

I just bought HD chrome and rubber rider footboard inserts for my 2011 FLSTC, which came stock with half-moon pans. The chrome and rubber are "traditional" fit and don't fit in the half-moon pans. I tried to find chrome pans that would take the new C&R footboards, and I can't find anything an HD part number, but I did black footboard pans instead of the chrome. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:08 PM
gees63
Intermediate
Default lousy grammar

Originally Posted by gees63
I just bought HD chrome and rubber rider footboard inserts for my 2011 FLSTC, which came stock with half-moon pans. The chrome and rubber are "traditional" fit and don't fit in the half-moon pans. I tried to find chrome pans that would take the new C&R footboards, and I can't find anything an HD part number, but I did black footboard pans instead of the chrome. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.
I meant to say that I can't find a Harley part number for the chrome pans, but that I did find the black pans instead of the chrome (which I don't want). JD gets in the way sometimes.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:18 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,863 Likes on 4,113 Posts

HD does not make the traditional pans in chrome. Why? Your guess is as good as mine. You would have to chrome them yourself.

The only other possibility is to search ebay. Maybe someone has already chromed them.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:25 PM
gees63
Intermediate

Man...that sucks. Kind of strange that they make chrome and rubber inserts to be put into non-chrome footboards! Thanks for the advice...I'll look on ebay and see what I can find.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:49 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by gees63
Man...that sucks. Kind of strange that they make chrome and rubber inserts to be put into non-chrome footboards! Thanks for the advice...I'll look on ebay and see what I can find.
I agree. What I find strange about the whole footboard insert idea is that some collections have footboard inserts only for the traditional pan, some collections have footboard inserts only for the half-moon pan and some collections have footboard inserts for both pans. It doesn't seem logical. If you are going to make a footboard insert, make it available for ALL footboard pans. Furthermore, with almost every HD part that comes in black, there is usually a chrome counterpart. Not with the traditional footboard pan, though.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:19 PM
gees63
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bone Doc
I agree. What I find strange about the whole footboard insert idea is that some collections have footboard inserts only for the traditional pan, some collections have footboard inserts only for the half-moon pan and some collections have footboard inserts for both pans. It doesn't seem logical. If you are going to make a footboard insert, make it available for ALL footboard pans. Furthermore, with almost every HD part that comes in black, there is usually a chrome counterpart. Not with the traditional footboard pan, though.
Given the premium I pay for genuine HD parts, I can't see the logic either. I looked on ebay and Craigslist and found nothing. I will have to go with the black, and either get it chromed at a shop or just live with it. What is even more screwed up is I have the inserts for the passenger and also have the chromed passenger pans! If I go black on the rider pans, it won't look right. Thanks again...you saved me a lot of time.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:50 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member

gees,

Another illogical move about passenger footboards.

Why does HD make footboard covers for D-shaped (traditional) passenger footboards and not the half-moon shaped passenger footboards ?

Old 03-22-2013, 11:18 PM
gees63
Intermediate

The only thing I can think of is HD wants to keep after market companies in business, or their marketing group just isn't that smart. One of the things I find interesting is the total lack of user-friendliness the HD website is for finding parts and checking fitment. J&P cycles has a thing where you choose your bike, and the website will tell you whether the part you look at after that fits your bike. Shouldn't be that hard, but HD seems to not think it needs to help out like that. So, I spend a lot of time just trying to figure out what works, instead of spending money...LOL.

Old 03-23-2013, 02:31 AM
chi45cken
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the chrome ones for sale

Old 03-23-2013, 09:24 AM
jam436
Supporter
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Bone Doc
I agree. What I find strange about the whole footboard insert idea is that some collections have footboard inserts only for the traditional pan, some collections have footboard inserts only for the half-moon pan and some collections have footboard inserts for both pans. It doesn't seem logical.
Yep - that makes no sense... they're all over the map on this one.
I was looking over their "collections", and really liked the look of the Tribal series, especially after having seen the grips up close at the dealer - luckily that's one of the few "complete" collections that will fit a Slim (with the half-moon boards)...