Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

POP goes the oil cap !

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 03:09 PM
michla
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default POP goes the oil cap !

I gotta post this as a warning to others because this kind of thing gets you into alot of "hot oil" if you're not warned.

My '01 Softail Standard sits on a lift iin the garage all winter as there's no way we're riding until April at the earliest up here in Alaska. I crank 'er over and start it up about once a month just to circulate the oil and burn off the moisture in the crankcase. Especially important in a cold garage with occasional work that turns on the heat. The temp changes and high humidity (melting snow outside) create moisture in the crankcase of any internal combustion engine.

Anyway, I go to check the oil level before firing 'er up, and there's NONE in the oil tank ! Oh shitt....did I forget to put oil back in on that last oil change?? So I dubiously put enough oil in the tank to restore the oil level to the dipstick, then go about firing it up. Guess what happened next ? Well, suffice it to say, the bike is on the lift next to a wall idling for about 8 seconds and then the oil cap goes POP and oil sprays out all over the wall and riccochets all over the bike that has a ton of chrome....oh man, what a blasted mess
WHAT DA F***????

I had no idea of what was going on until I read in here yesterday, never happened before probably because I was sure I'd refilled the oil after the change so didn't check it.
Yeah, the oil drained down inside the crankcase as can happen on dry-sump oil scavenge systems and unbeknowst to me, that's where it was.
My umbrella seals are probably toast as a result, oh great.

DON'T YOU DO IT TOO ! For winter-weary sorts like me who are firing it up for the first of the season, be forewarned. Fire it up for 5 seconds, then shut it down and THEN check the oil level if you need to.

PS....gee, now I know why the Service/Owners Manuals say to only check the oil level when it's warm....!

Last edited by michla; 03-25-2013 at 09:42 AM. Reason: PS
Old 03-24-2013, 03:16 PM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 377 Posts

Guilty as charged, ruined a shirt and pair of jeans in the process

Old 03-24-2013, 03:26 PM
michla
Advanced

Originally Posted by purpledeuce
Guilty as charged, ruined a shirt and pair of jeans in the process
yeah, I wudda been better off NAKED !

Last edited by michla; 03-24-2013 at 03:29 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:01 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Don't get too upset about it.
Yes its a pain in the *** and makes a real messy cleanup.
But caught early enough it generally doesn't do any real physical harm to the engine.
You might need a new air filter and a bunch of cleaning stuff to take care of the mess, but it should be alright if it didn't run too long.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:09 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

One of the great things about this forum is when people take the time to post up about these issues. Thanks for putting it out there for people to see and learn from it.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:54 AM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,880 Likes on 8,422 Posts

http://m71.photobucket.com/albumview..._4660.jpg.html

I had this oil cap cover on my RG until it popped out when I did a hard acceleration one time. I went back to the section of road were it probably came out but was never able to find it.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:36 AM
michla
Advanced

Originally Posted by Citoriplus
but it should be alright if it didn't run too long.
Only a few secs before she went KAPLOOIE and then shut 'er down pronto

Old 03-25-2013, 09:40 AM
michla
Advanced

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
One of the great things about this forum is when people take the time to post up about these issues. Thanks for putting it out there for people to see and learn from it.
U bet !
I didn't want anybody else to have to clean up the mess I did !

Old 03-25-2013, 09:58 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

This is just my .02 on the subject. Moisture builds up in old used oil. Knowing that I change my oil and ride it around the block right before I store it for the winter. When I store it I seal off my exhaust so no moisture can get in. I don't start my bike all winter because getting it warm or hot and then shutting it off sucks fresh air, and moisture, into the exhaust system. I guess if you have a heated garage and keep it at or above 70 degree's would fix that but I don't have a heated garage. I do however put a radiant heater under my bike cover and it stays toasty all winter long. Every time you start your bike you bring fresh air into it and along with that is moisture. Right or wrong, that's how I do my bike.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:21 PM
snip0721
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tony.....wtf. no heated garage? Lol....steve

Quick Reply: POP goes the oil cap !