Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best all around armored textile jacket

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 09:59 PM
tmors424
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best all around armored textile jacket

Hey folks- looking for the best bang for the buck on an armored textile jacket. An alternative to leather, something cool riding during hot days traveling, protection, and good looks without looking like a crotch rocket jockey. Also, should I go with the traditional black look or high visibility? Anyone have some ideas or suggestions?

Old 03-26-2013, 12:00 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I have 2 armored textile jackets. One is an all black First Gear and the other an HD Gray one. They're both comfortable and of course much cooler than my leather coats. The HD one came without a back plate but it has the sleeve for it.

On really hot days even the mesh jackets are hot, especially in stop and go traffic, but I do my best to wear some protective outerwear whenever possible.

There are Kevlar mesh jackets which are higher priced and offer better protection. Never checked them out so I don't know how they feel or how they perform in the heat. I've read reports that the textiles can "melt" off in a slide and that the kevlar is superior.

Maybe so. I already have 2 jackets and the way I look at it: If I'm in a slide so bad that it's burning my jacket off me I probably have more things to worry about than road rash. But like I said I'm not looking to have another jacket hanging in my closet. But if I were buying a first one, perhaps I would give the kevlar a closer look.

Last edited by jimmers1817; 03-26-2013 at 12:05 AM.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:17 AM
Rockrivr1
Road Master
Received 115 Likes on 41 Posts

I went with a Joe Rocket textile jacket and am pretty happy with it. A said above, still hot in the summer, but its much better then leather.

http://www.joerocket.com/catalog/ind...xtile_Jackets/

Old 03-26-2013, 09:58 AM
Hammy
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the first gear kilimanjaro, It is way warmer than any leather I've ever had, waterproof and lots of vents. Best all around jacket. I also have 2 custom made leather jackets and a harley leather jacket (I hardly wear any of them)..

Old 03-26-2013, 10:01 AM
Hammy
Tourer

first gear kathmandu pants are pretty great for cross country. When it's hot I wear them as pants not an overpant, they have plenty of vents.. Only fault with those is I wish they came in another color than the light grey ...

Old 03-26-2013, 01:39 PM
Koshman32
Cruiser

I've got the Harley S.W.A.T. textile jacket. Looks awesome, front and back are all mesh, you can insert the armor into the back, elbows, and shoulders. It came with a removable rain liner, and a removable hood. Too bad they don't make that jacket any more.

Old 03-26-2013, 02:07 PM
Liberator
Cruiser

Have a Rev'IT! Air from a few years ago that's pretty damn nice. Amazing airflow and protection and quality build. I believe that model is now called the Airwave. I'd stay away from black if you're wanting to be cool in the summer! There's relatively subdued mostly gray one they make now that doesn't really look like a crotch rocket jacket. Go one size larger too as it's more euro sizing. Only problem is it's like $200 but that's some good quality **** right there.

Old 03-26-2013, 05:51 PM
axlespacer
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cortech DSX denim,

Old 03-26-2013, 07:53 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts

The best is whatever fits you correctly, offers the amount of protection you want, works in your weather conditions and the style you like. $$$ maybe a factor also. lol I went with a leatherup xelement textile with removable liner. Good for fall, spring and winter but for me, summers are too frikin hot for any jacket.

http://www.leatherup.com/c/Mens-Moto...ets/2/102.html

Old 03-26-2013, 08:39 PM
JRL1164
Cruiser

I'm with KumaRide I also purchased from leather up and I think I got an outstanding jacket at a great price. However I went With he leather for the cool humid air we have here so it worked great for me. If I ride after dark and cause the drivers in my area suck I've got a Bilt reflective vest I throw on over top to make myself more visible. But it works for me and your situation maybe different.

Quick Reply: Best all around armored textile jacket