Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Combo speedo tach 70900072A

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 06:08 PM
moomba
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Combo speedo tach 70900072A

Have any of you installed the speedo in the link below?

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Do you know if all of the function will work if installed on a 06 night train?

70900072A

Fits '04-'11 Dyna®, '04-'10 Softail® (except FLSTSE) and '04-later Road King® models (except FLHRSE3/4) equipped with a 5" Speedometer.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:15 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it should.. since the train is a softail between model years 04 and 10

You could also click on "NOTE" under the photo on that page and it will tell you the functions that will not be available.. which are Gear Position, and Range function

Old 03-31-2013, 06:27 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Do a search on it, there's quit a few threads on it with favorable results.....I see myself going to it eventually.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:28 PM
jam436
Supporter
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

I'm interested in one of these as well. I don't know if it's true or not, but I've heard that if you install one of these on a non-ABS bike, that the ABS indicator in the new speedo will come on and stay on until you have a dealer reset a switch in your ECM.
Can anyone verify this?

Old 03-31-2013, 06:47 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,863 Likes on 4,113 Posts

moomba,

Sgt Jim explained it all. Fortunately, gear position and range are probably the two functions I use the least. Most riders know what gear they are in... they don't need the speedo to tell them. The range function can be unreliable. There is a fuel gauge on the speedo/tach that will provide the necessary information. There are two trip odometers as well. Knowing exactly how many miles until empty is only an estimate. Generally, no one waits until they are on fumes to fill up anyway. If you are THAT close to empty, you'll let someone **** in your tank if they tell you they **** gasoline.

I say, if you like the combo speedo/tach and the functions available to your model year, get it.

I have the 70900171 on my 2012 Heritage. It is the same exact one as yours; only for my model year. I have to say it looks pretty nice at night.

Originally Posted by jam436
I'm interested in one of these as well. I don't know if it's true or not, but I've heard that if you install one of these on a non-ABS bike, that the ABS indicator in the new speedo will come on and stay on until you have a dealer reset a switch in your ECM.
Can anyone verify this?
I have ABS so I can't advise you specifically in my case, but, I believe what you say is accurate. The dealer is the one that must "program" the ECM to disable the ABS light on the speedo.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:56 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can anyone verify this?
I don't have ABS, or that speedo, but on the speedo I did buy (Digital mph, analog tach), i did not have to have HD do anything with the ECM.. but again, it's not THAT speedo. 2010 model year, too.

Old 03-31-2013, 07:12 PM
Vic Bronco
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have it on my 07 Deluxe. Everything works, I've never seen an ABS indicator come on, and the whole thing was a quick and easy install. Probably the hardest part was trying to decide what colors to set all your back lighting to.

Old 03-31-2013, 07:28 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,863 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Can anyone verify this?
Here is a thread from 2 months ago in this forum. Same issue, same response. The OP never elaborated where he got his information.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...abs-light.html

Apparently, despite others not experiencing this problem, the dealer must disable the ABS light or you can purchase a tuner that allows you to flash (not remap) the ECM.

You can PM that OP and ask him directly how he resolved the issue.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:22 PM
moomba
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys. I will most likely to for it. Pics to follow after the install

Old 03-31-2013, 09:36 PM
bigblock59
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

changed the gauges to blue so it's darker at night. i don't want to be distracted by bright gauges. the blue in the pic is brighter than what they are. for some reason the pic shows bright blue. mine is a non-abs bike and have never had a light.

Attached Thumbnails Combo speedo tach 70900072A-march2013-003.jpg  

Quick Reply: Combo speedo tach 70900072A