Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black Painted Inserts on Chrome Dash Panel Extension to Match Deluxe Dash...

Old 10-31-2013, 11:31 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Been thinking of doing the same only in white.

Old 03-07-2014, 06:15 AM
schlacker
Stellar HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

I know this is an old thread but I wanted to add that I did this a few months ago, & I used Plasti Dip to paint the inserts using 3 thick coats. A little time more consuming because you have to peel the masking tape immediately after each coat while it's still wet (I used rubber surgical gloves) & then re-mask before the next coat.
The results we're pretty cool I think since it down plays the textured look & matched the dash maybe a little better since it's not that glossy & it's thicker in appearance. I had two panels I bought pretty cheap on ebay so I did one with paint & 1 with Plasti Dip.
If you try it beware-The Plast Dip won't peel off easily because of that texture.

Last edited by schlacker; 03-07-2014 at 06:33 AM.
Old 12-03-2016, 01:54 AM
Ultramindbrk
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by S.D.M.F
I didnt scuff the chrome at all.....the area where i painted is textured anyway.
I never had a problem with paint coming off.
I used satin black paint and blue painters tape to mask it up.
Sorry for reviving an old thread, but what you did to your dash gave me the inspiration to do the same! I just got my extended dash in and it's all chrome, and I'm going to paint it like you did. Did you spray it with black satin paint or brush it? It looks absolutely perfect! And do you remember what brand, or where you bought the paint? Thanks in advance!

Old 12-03-2016, 04:53 AM
S.D.M.F
Road Warrior
Received 336 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by Ultramindbrk
Sorry for reviving an old thread, but what you did to your dash gave me the inspiration to do the same! I just got my extended dash in and it's all chrome, and I'm going to paint it like you did. Did you spray it with black satin paint or brush it? It looks absolutely perfect! And do you remember what brand, or where you bought the paint? Thanks in advance!
I masked up all the chrome area with Blue painters tape and sprayed it with about 2 - 3 coats of Satin Black.
Sorry i cant remember the brand....it was probably Dulux. (thats a brand we get here in Australia).
As long as its a decent quality, the brand shouldn't matter.
Take your time.
Good luck.

Old 12-03-2016, 10:07 AM
Ultramindbrk
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I masked up all the chrome area with Blue painters tape and sprayed it with about 2 - 3 coats of Satin Black.
Sorry i cant remember the brand....it was probably Dulux. (thats a brand we get here in Australia).
As long as its a decent quality, the brand shouldn't matter.
Take your time.
Good luck.
Thank you so much for the speedy reply! I'll be tackling this today!!

Old 12-03-2016, 10:38 AM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,997 Likes on 2,815 Posts

I did satin black on my Heritage Classic awhile ago to cut down on sun reflection from the speedo housing when riding.

Old 05-26-2017, 03:16 PM
ccain529
Cruiser
Received 85 Likes on 32 Posts

I did mine before i swapped the dash.
It's a easy cheap mod that makes a big difference in the appearance.

I hate to dig up an old thread -BUT- have any of you with this dash panel had them scratch like hell when you wiped it down?

Holy hell, I've had this thing two weeks. Wiped it down today with my Meguair's Quick Detailer and a brand new microfiber cloth and it looks like I a took a damned brillo pad to it. And yes, I blew all the dust off of it first.

I ended up taking it off and putting the old leather bib back on.

I mean, for the $40 I paid for it, I shouldn't have expected too much, but it should have at least held up for more than two freakin' weeks and a wipe down.

Damned chintzy, cheap assed crap. That $40 could have been better spent on a 10 minute trip to the titty bar.

Last edited by ccain529; 05-26-2017 at 03:18 PM.