Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Knee hitting Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 02:20 PM
cmosentine
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Knee hitting Air Intake

Hi all: I love my Fatboy, except for the darn football air cleaner/intake. When I ride, my knee rests against the football. I think I would be more comfortable if it were moved inward. When I moved up to Stage 1 I replaced the stock intake with a K&N RK3909, which is essentially a higher flow intake that is the same size and shape as stock as to not move the air cleaner out any further.

So here is my question: Is there a good hi-flow air intake that also reduced the overall height so as to give me more knee room?

Old 05-11-2013, 02:58 PM
gunnerchevy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Change your seat to either lower you or put you back further also i went forward controls on my fatty. I have the harley screaming eagle breather and have no issues. Im 6'2"

Old 05-11-2013, 03:26 PM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,199 Likes on 711 Posts

Can't say that this has been an issue with me. I had to think about it for a minute to decide I hadn't noticed the football being too close to my knee. Are you riding the stock seat? I changed out the filter and mount to a A.N. big sucker.

Old 05-11-2013, 03:38 PM
MikeZ
Road Captain
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

I installed an SE Stage 1 with this round, "smooth" air cleaner cover number 28728-10. Better knee clearance. You can see on my sig photo how much more compact it is than the football. The chrome back plate adds another $55, but is worth it.

Attached Thumbnails Knee hitting Air Intake-image.jpg  
Old 05-11-2013, 03:42 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

I have a friend who bought a Victory for that very reason. I can't say I agree with his reasoning but that was deal-breaker for him on every Harley he tried.

Old 05-11-2013, 06:56 PM
cmosentine
Tourer

Originally Posted by Rider1200
Can't say that this has been an issue with me. I had to think about it for a minute to decide I hadn't noticed the football being too close to my knee. Are you riding the stock seat? I changed out the filter and mount to a A.N. big sucker.
Yes, I have te stock seat. I have been looking to get a new seat but can't figure hitch one. I don't want to move any closer.

Old 05-11-2013, 07:46 PM
Tee&Vee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts

Same issue on my heritage when I bought her as well as the oil pressure gauge installed by the PO. I just got used to it although the road glide is easier on the inner knee.
Maybe forwards are in your future...

Old 05-11-2013, 08:04 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 814 Likes on 800 Posts

I'll have to say in the 7yrs and over 29k post I've made in here, and I read probably more they 3X's thats many...

I have never heard of anyone complaining of what Ur saying...

I will say that there's been quite a few that has said that about other A/C'ers....

U must be rather Short in the legs for it to brother U...

I'll also add just last summer I cut my football A/C down to a Round cover that just covers the SE HIGH Perf A/C I installed,, maybe that would help U also without spending a lot of $$$$$$..

Heres a pic of how I cut my stock HD Football A/C cover down and PC'ed it .

Old 05-11-2013, 08:33 PM
cmosentine
Tourer

Originally Posted by oct1949
I'll have to say in the 7yrs and over 29k post I've made in here, and I read probably more they 3X's thats many...

I have never heard of anyone complaining of what Ur saying...

I will say that there's been quite a few that has said that about other A/C'ers....

U must be rather Short in the legs for it to brother U...
Here some other posts.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...ake-pedal.html

http://www.****************/forums/h...erference.html

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.p...ic=83764.0;all

So far I have not found a solution. As far as leg length goes, I am 5'9" with 30" inseam. I would think shorter legs would be better as you would have less of an angle in your knee and therefore be lower, possibly missing the air cleaner.

Looks like the SE filter that points forward maybe the best solution.

Old 05-11-2013, 08:56 PM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Agree, get the round air intake. I believe they are called the "nostalgic" intake. Same happened to me. My knee always banged on my old Heritage, I have the round intake on my Deluxe and it doesn't hit and that is with my stock seat too.

Quick Reply: Knee hitting Air Intake