Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike will not start

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 09:56 PM
boilermanfun
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike will not start

Hello, and thank you for taking time to read my thread. I have 1993 softail, I did my year starting maintenance on the bike. Changed all oils, spark plugs and wires, charged the battery. Replace the shocks on the bike and added an oil cooler to the bike as well. Found out from a friend I was charging the battery wrong so we replaced it. Bike will not start, from jump from my truck, battery booster or pushing the bike to pop it. Replaced the starter today and still the same thing. The starter makes a clik, clik clik, on the loud side. I pulled the spark plugs out and turned the motor over by hand. I had 12.6 volts on the battery and called it a night. The battery is on the charger now. Anyone have anything I should look at?

Last edited by boilermanfun; 05-21-2013 at 09:59 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:09 AM
skiddd
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How do the battery wires look condition wise? sounds like your not getting enough juice.....

Old 05-22-2013, 12:14 AM
Flip50
Cruiser
Talking

You may simply have a failed starter relay. Make sure all connections to starter are tight and also check ground cable on frame is tight.still think starter relay will be the first item to check.

Old 05-22-2013, 12:32 AM
imboden
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

dude, you can always pull your battery and get it checked at HD for free. Did you blow a fuse?

Old 05-22-2013, 06:17 AM
boilermanfun
1st Gear

I did have the battery checked, and they said it was no good. I did pick up a new battery. I did check the relay and it ohm at fine ( 0.0). When I got the new starter I did not like the length of wires to the battery (to short so I got longer ones from HD and 3 inches to the wire)

Old 05-22-2013, 06:19 AM
boilermanfun
1st Gear

The starter is getting power, I dont know the amps my meter does not go that high. I have circut breakers not fuses and they checked out fine.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:31 AM
CouchMaster
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might be a bad ground wire - hook a jumper to the neg. batt terminal and some place on the engine - try to start; see if that solves the problem.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:44 AM
imboden
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

My next vote would be to check the ground cable too. Had a buddy with that year of EVO and they had ground cable troubles. His bike died on the way to sturgis that year. Cable had broken apart inside the sheathing which I guess was a common thing. Put on a new cable and it was ready to go.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:28 AM
boilermanfun
1st Gear

I did put a new cable on the positive side. The ground nut was dirty, so took it out and cleaned it and the area. The bike started and I drove it around a little about 3 miles. Then it started doing it again. Checked the volts onthe battery and found 12.2 volts. I have it on the charger now and will check it in the morning, but what should I go after next. I ohmed out the alternatorand it was right on the book readings

Old 05-23-2013, 04:45 PM
Flip50
Cruiser

Originally Posted by boilermanfun
I did put a new cable on the positive side. The ground nut was dirty, so took it out and cleaned it and the area. The bike started and I drove it around a little about 3 miles. Then it started doing it again. Checked the volts onthe battery and found 12.2 volts. I have it on the charger now and will check it in the morning, but what should I go after next. I ohmed out the alternatorand it was right on the book readings
What was the voltage at battery while running?

Quick Reply: Bike will not start