Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stator install question/concern

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 09:12 PM
rpmpit
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stator install question/concern

Had the engine in my 88 FLST remanufactured by Harley. Tonight I was getting around to installing the stator, rotor, etc. I bought a new 32 amp charging system (J&P Part no. 542-764). Question is, when I try to seat the stator on the case, its really a snug fit. I can probably get it all the way on with a few taps with a soft mallet - but is this normal?? I didn't remove the old stator. I left the rotor and stator on the engine when I dropped it off at the dealer so I'm not sure what the fit is supposed to be like. Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 06-13-2013, 03:59 AM
rpmpit
Cruiser

Bump!!

Old 06-13-2013, 04:46 PM
momax
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't know the answer, but if you check some of the maintenance videos and the forums i belive you will find something, sorry couldn't be more help..

Old 06-14-2013, 06:23 AM
rpmpit
Cruiser

Thanks, momax. I searched high and low and couldn't find ANYTHING to address my specific question. There's actually a 9 part series on a stator replacement on youtube. But the part I needed (actually slipping the stator on the case) he didn't show!! LOL!!!

Anyway, for the benefit of anyone else searching for this in the future, here is what happened. Just a back story - besides having my engine remanufactured by Harley, I also had the transmission rebuilt at the dealer. As well as a few other things done. The mechanic who has been working on my stuff is extremely knowledgeable and a really good guy. I don't like to bother him but when I'm stumped, I give him a call. Anyway, he said that the stator is sometimes a tight fit. He recommended some white lithium grease and using the mounting bolts to pull (or push I guess?) the stator into position. Worked great! He also suggested using Fantastic (I used Windex) to lube up the plug to get through the case and again, it worked perfectly.

Hope this helps someone in the future with the same problem.

Old 06-14-2013, 06:49 AM
momax
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL! Sounds like you have my kind of luck, glad you got it stright, anyway, the info you posted is filed, and when the time comes i'll know how. thanks, so you should be riding tomorrow right?

Old 06-14-2013, 07:14 AM
rpmpit
Cruiser

Originally Posted by momax
LOL! Sounds like you have my kind of luck, glad you got it stright, anyway, the info you posted is filed, and when the time comes i'll know how. thanks, so you should be riding tomorrow right?
Not quite tomorrow. This is a long term project. Totally rebuilding the bike as well as doing the Heartland 250 conversion. Still have a long way to go. If you want to check out my progress, here's a link to a thread of mine:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...0-project.html