Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 Fatboy Engine dies after 4 sec. HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 03:22 PM
Fierofly
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2011 Fatboy Engine dies after 4 sec. HELP!

Was out for a ride for about 30min and came to a stop for a left turn, got to third gear about 4000rpm and it just died. Coasted to a stop, hit the start and it started right up, sounded great and 3 seconds later died again, repeated 3 more times. Had to trailer home. So here's what I got.
1. No codes set
2. Neutral light blinks momentarily when ignition is turned on, but will not stay on even though it is in neutral.
3. Fuel pump does not make a sound, even though the bike starts right up.
4. High beam headlight indicator is on when ignition is turned on even though the high beams are off.
5. Bike starts normal and runs for about 4 seconds max
6. Alarm chirp doesn't chirp twice. Sometimes I get just a single, sometimes nothing
7. Battery voltage is 12.3v, I tried charging and jumping, no help.
8. I've got a Power Vision Tuner (used it for about 18months now, works great) mounted on handlebars, It works with ignition switch in accessory but not when I turn on ignition, it used to. I tried loading a different tune and also tried removing the tuner, no change.

I've had similar problems with automobiles before and it would be a MAP sensor or such. One I could unplug the MAP and could drive it home. My concern is that it shouldn't affect the electrical part of the bike if it is a sensor of some sort.
I'm thinking it's probably one of the control modules. I just hate to spend money till I'm sure.

ANY SUGGESTIONS WELCOME.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:36 PM
Rodzilla6
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I had a similar problem and it turned out to be a bad switch on the handlebar. The start switch was shorting out. 65 bucks to fix (I suspect you could handle it my A10 Friend...LOL). We did not chase the wire down under the frame. We cut and soldered at the handlebar/works fine. A buddy of mine had a somewhat similar issue and it was his starter relay. He started the bike then pulled the starter relay to confirm. Pain to find but only 5 bucks to fix. Hope this helps.
Thanks much for your service. I LOVE A10's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Flying tank. They ROCK, especially if your a bad guy...

Old 06-17-2013, 06:01 PM
nascarfan
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Rodzilla6
I LOVE A10's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Flying tank. They ROCK, especially if your a bad guy...
Manufactured in my hometown of Hagerstown, Maryland......

Old 06-17-2013, 06:55 PM
Rodzilla6
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a place in the white mountains of New Hampshire and a few times a year a few A10's practice flying low through our valley behind my place...AWESOME! When I was working in Nashua New Hampshire at Hewlett Packard, we were right behind the airport and a couple times we watched at the fence as 2 A10's would make a couple duel/pair passes right down the runway...UNREAL. If you are the bad guys, you are already dead before you hear them coming...Hey, still made in America too, can't beat that! Ride safe.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:10 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,540 Likes on 3,792 Posts

You got to get the 3 second fuel pump running when you key on. That is a timer in the fuel pump system relay. That relay is only about $13 Not sure how your Power Vision Tuner ties in so no clue there

Old 06-17-2013, 07:42 PM
Ed McLellan
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check that coil wire

Old 06-18-2013, 05:29 AM
Fierofly
Tourer

found that the horn only works in accessory, fuses are good. I'm thinking the only component that could cause this is the Body Control Module BCM. Anybody had one of these go bad?

Old 06-19-2013, 01:48 PM
Fierofly
Tourer

I'm going to remove and check all grounds first, then I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and tow it into the dealer. Just hoping somebody out there has had a problem like this before. If it wasn't for all the other strange things that now don't work, I'd say it was a fuel pump or a sensor. I'm leaning more and more towards one of the computer modules, Body control or Engine control. I've seen in the service manual that these need to be programed by the dealer anyway.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:46 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,540 Likes on 3,792 Posts

May be interesting.
http://www.harley-davidsonforums.com...le-recall.html

Did you ever get the fuel pump to run when you first key on? That should be working since it's a timer and not controlled by ECM or BCM.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:59 PM
Fierofly
Tourer

Thanks so much, That's the info. I need. the fuel pump never comes on, not even sure WHY it starts if it doesn't pressurize, gravity?? I'm gonna remove the Body control module and have a look. The bike hasn't been wet in months.

Quick Reply: 2011 Fatboy Engine dies after 4 sec. HELP!