Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Utopia Backrest on a Heritage

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 07:30 AM
Biggerfoot
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Utopia Backrest on a Heritage

I have long searched for a backrest for my 2006 Heritage. I am 6'4" tall and most of the options I found would put me up forward too far for a comfortable ride. I ride hundreds of miles a crack so a backrest is helpful.

My first solution was a Tombstone bag. I still had to remove the backrest padding for it to fit but it worked fine. It is nice having the extra space for a jacket and lunch for work. However, it does get hot on warm days and of course, for two-up, it has to go.

My last resort was going with a Utopia Backrest . This is the one that is actually installed on the passenger seat. It is a little more costly too.

After a couple of tankfuls, I found that it seems to be a perfect fit for me. It is very comfortable as it pivots with your back, allows for air circulation compared to the Tombstone bag, has a very handy large pouch on the back, and most importantly, does not move me forward. They offer an 1 inch backset bracket too if the rest needs to go back more.

For one-up camping, the backrest removes in a minute or two and the Tombstone back goes back on.

The hardest part in going with this backrest is installing it in the back seat. However, it took me just about 30 minutes to do it.

The bracket, etc:

It took maybe ten minutes to tear the seat apart:

Old 09-02-2015, 07:34 AM
Biggerfoot
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just wanted to give a two plus year update on my Utopia Backrest

After lots and lots of miles, this is by far one of the best upgrades I have made.

I have not had a single issue to-date.

With a passenger, the backrest is fine and the bag is very handy for them to hold odds and ends.

For a tall person, this is certainly a great way to go for those that want a backrest.