Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After my first long ride on a Harley Softail... Advice on aftermarket seat?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 04:18 AM
mirrmu
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Hi,

Just start doing more trips, 50,150, 300 miles and the seat will get more comfortable, spend your $ on fuel

Other thing is keep the h2o up before leaving on a long day and have a drink when stop for petrol, I normally have 300ml each fuel stop

Thanks
Mirrmu

Old 06-21-2013, 04:52 AM
god61021
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Misbehaven
I can tell you one thing for sure. What ever seat I get will have a drivers back rest in it. The wife and I did a 1100 mile 3 day trip over Fathers Day weekend. I threw on a cheap Ebay drivers back rest for the trip and man did that sucker make a difference in lower back comfort. I still have issues with my my *** getting numb after 100 miles or so but by that time it's time to stop and fill up the wife's sportster. She has the mustang wide solo on her bike and has not complained about any seating issues since I put it on for her. I will probably get the Mustang wide solo for my LO.
I gotta agree here, I took the drivers backrest off my heritage this spring since I dont like the look and it was too cold for the wife to ride. (she likes to hang on to it) I thought I never even used the thing but boy was I wrong. there is a big difference without it on long rides

Old 06-21-2013, 06:20 AM
barchetta
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by crawlgsx
Unfortunately there is no ONE answer. Personal taste and *** shape make a big difference. I have the stock breakout seat and find it extremely comfortable. I have used C&C seats that were also very comfortable. I personally find my friends Corbin very uncomfortable, too stiff for me. It has had plenty of break-in time, didn't help, but he loves it.
I agree with this.. just did a ton of research.. when I bought my seat my findings were WAY different than what I read..

I only have one suggestion: buy from a place that has a nice return policy. As far as I can tell, Dennis Kirk has a nice one.. simple.. no hassle.. but have not used it. I bought a bare bones for cruising around town, NOT for comfort and I like it.. but everyone said it would drop me down and move me back.. I found it didnt seem to drop me at all and moved me forward... If you are ok with the way your seat looks, Id run with it and let your body see if it makes adaptations.. the human body is simply astounding..

good luck in your search.. dont forget bar position! I just moved mine back 1" and up 2... for $50 with a riser.. made all the difference..

Old 06-21-2013, 07:57 AM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by ruffbiker
Thanks! Does the Corbin have the Airhawk gel padding or something similarintegrated into the seat?I can't seem to find that info in the description on their website. I was also looking at the Danny Gray selection as suggested earlier http://www.dannygray.com/seats/airhawkseats.asp
and was wondering aout that type of support for the pressure points to minimize fatigue.

I'd like to thank everyone for their replies on this thread as well
Corbin has a proprietary "*** gel", I think it's called comfort cell or something along those lines. The nice thing is it confirms to your rump. That's why you'll hear folks saying they sat on a buddies corbin and it was awful, it wasn't shaped to anyone but the main rider

Old 06-21-2013, 08:26 AM
black01
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Unfortunately there is no ONE answer. Personal taste and *** shape make a big difference. I have the stock breakout seat and find it extremely comfortable. I have used C&C seats that were also very comfortable. I personally find my friends Corbin very uncomfortable, too stiff for me. It has had plenty of break-in time, didn't help, but he loves it.
I agree on the Corbin. I had one and everyone said give it break-in time. I gave it over a year and several thousand miles. It is now on the shelf in my garage. I found a solo seat on CL and it is way more comfy. Has no tags,so Im unsure what it is. looks just like a Drag Spec seat from pics I have seen.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:46 AM
Wide_Open
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 82 Posts

Very happy with the Mustang I just put on my Night Train. No more butt burn.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:09 AM
Jake911
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Unfortunately there is no ONE answer. Personal taste and *** shape make a big difference. I have used C&C seats that were also very comfortable.

My most comfortable seat is the C&C. I tried the factory and a Mustang, but neither compared to the comfort of the C&C. Very high quality too. Each seat is custom made so they can add gel inserts, additional padding, etc, to your specifications. Good luck.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:27 AM
dizzy1450
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Midgard
your *** will get "tougher"
This.

The more you ride, the tougher your *** gets.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:28 AM
Josewales
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Misbehaven
I can tell you one thing for sure. What ever seat I get will have a drivers back rest in it. The wife and I did a 1100 mile 3 day trip over Fathers Day weekend. I threw on a cheap Ebay drivers back rest for the trip and man did that sucker make a difference in lower back comfort. I still have issues with my my *** getting numb after 100 miles or so but by that time it's time to stop and fill up the wife's sportster. She has the mustang wide solo on her bike and has not complained about any seating issues since I put it on for her. I will probably get the Mustang wide solo for my LO.
Next week will be my first road trip with the C&C solo seat. I can let you know after how it went if you want. So far the C&C has been good for a few hours of riding.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:37 AM
IRONHORSE I
Tourer
Received 655 Likes on 167 Posts

The stock seat on my 07 FXST was killing me. I went with the Mustang sport touring vintage solo with driver backrest. Night and day difference. I can ride all day now. The seat did push me up and forward a bit.

I would highly recommend a backrest if you are planning on doing some long trips. It makes a BIG difference.

Quick Reply: After my first long ride on a Harley Softail... Advice on aftermarket seat?