Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After my first long ride on a Harley Softail... Advice on aftermarket seat?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 06:55 PM
ruffbiker
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After my first long ride on a Harley Softail... Advice on aftermarket seat?

Hello Everyone,

Yay! Hubby and I just got back from my very first long trip on a Harley Softail Slim since learning how to ride a motorcycle last summer ( I took the MSF course) We rode our motorcycles up North to Ely from Mankato last Saturday and then back again to Mankato yesterday, 400 miles each way. Sooo happy about this adventure but i have to ask for some advice, ideas, suggestions on how to have a more comfortable ride. Seriously I love the Softailm Slim, the way it handles the roads, the maneuverability! I just love it! But I had to take a few breaks to stretch out and walk about a little to ease the numbing sensation from my buttocks hahaha.

So I have a couple or so questions to ask and I hope you fine and experienced road travelers can help me

1. What is the best aftermarket seat for my 2013 Softail Slim?
2. Can I put highway pegs on and if so, which ones?
3. Would I do better with a different Harley? I am 5'8" , 140 lbs give or take hahaha.

Thanks!
Mona

Old 06-20-2013, 07:01 PM
CanuckSlim
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm going to go with a Mustang Vintage Touring Solo or just have a gel pad installed into the stock seat. I still haven't taken a long enough trip to decide if I need it or not. So far a couple of hours had been okay. I had the Mustang solo on my Sportster and it was great. I'm hoping to avoid going aftermarket as I really like the look of the stock seat. Also, the Mustang tends to shift the riding position forward a bit and I really don't want that.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:08 PM
ruffbiker
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CanuckSlim
I'm going to go with a Mustang Vintage Touring Solo or just have a gel pad installed into the stock seat. I still haven't taken a long enough trip to decide if I need it or not. So far a couple of hours had been okay. I had the Mustang solo on my Sportster and it was great. I'm hoping to avoid going aftermarket as I really like the look of the stock seat. Also, the Mustang tends to shift the riding position forward a bit and I really don't want that.
Thank you for your reply! I do like the custom seat and have no qualms with it riding short rides around town but wanting to see if another seat will keep me from taking more rest stops than I have to hehe! Nice ride you got there, btw!

Last edited by ruffbiker; 06-20-2013 at 07:09 PM. Reason: typos
Old 06-20-2013, 07:12 PM
streeteagle
Club Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Old 06-20-2013, 07:20 PM
CanuckSlim
Advanced

Originally Posted by ruffbiker
Thank you for your reply! I do like the custom seat and have no qualms with it riding short rides around town but wanting to see if another seat will keep me from taking more rest stops than I have to hehe! Nice ride you got there, btw!
Thanks. Pretty much any aftermarket seat will be better than stock. Mustang, Corbin, Danny Grey, are a few to look at.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:27 PM
ruffbiker
Intermediate

Originally Posted by streeteagle
Thank you! Checking them out right now

Old 06-20-2013, 07:28 PM
mori55
Tourer

I have a Heritage seat on my Deluxe, really comfortable.
I would suggest riding with your stock seat. They do have to break in and it takes awhile.
My son put a Mustang seat on his bike and loves it, very comfortable.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:48 PM
CanuckSlim
Advanced

Anyone know if the Corbin Classic Solo changes the seating position from stock? I'm liking the looks of that one but don't want to move forward.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:19 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I can tell you one thing for sure. What ever seat I get will have a drivers back rest in it. The wife and I did a 1100 mile 3 day trip over Fathers Day weekend. I threw on a cheap Ebay drivers back rest for the trip and man did that sucker make a difference in lower back comfort. I still have issues with my my *** getting numb after 100 miles or so but by that time it's time to stop and fill up the wife's sportster. She has the mustang wide solo on her bike and has not complained about any seating issues since I put it on for her. I will probably get the Mustang wide solo for my LO.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:26 PM
cosshog
Tourer

Corbin, I have tried many and always go back to corbin. They are stiff in the begining but then become very comfortable after a couple hundred miles.
Try a set of heel rest, they mount off your pegs and bring great comfort.
The great thing about harley's is that they can be changed to fit you, you dont need to change bikes just customize it to you.
Good luck and enjoy

Quick Reply: After my first long ride on a Harley Softail... Advice on aftermarket seat?