Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 FLSTC & Battery Tender

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 11:24 PM
Greg Midi
Road Warrior
Received 1,969 Likes on 785 Posts
Default 2013 FLSTC & Battery Tender

So this year I craigslisted my old 1980 FLT and bought a 2013 Heritage Softtail Classic, my how things have changed!

One thing I need to figure out is about battery tenders, there's really not much mention of it in the owners manual. Is there a connection somewhere that I can hook the tender to without having to remove the seat for terminal access? What is a good tender unit to buy that makes hookup easy? The bike will always be stored in a attached garage so my thinking is that I shouldn't ever need to see the battery until it's time for it to be replaced.

Bring an old dude up to speed!

Old 06-20-2013, 11:44 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 753 Likes on 461 Posts

most auxillary plugs are installed after purchase either by the dealer or the owner.

Also most battery tenders come with an auxillary plug that you connect to the battery and then hang the plug in an easy to get to inconspectious place.

Then all you have to do is plug in the tender when you're not riding.

Don't spend more than $25 for a tender.

Old 06-21-2013, 12:01 AM
drukanfu
Supporter
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

I have had these for years, 8 of them. Use them on everything and really like them, check them out..... http://batteryminders.com/details.php?prod=12117

Old 06-21-2013, 07:34 AM
Kap
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your Heritage probably already has an auxiliary plug already attached to the battery, check to see if it’s hanging near the oil tank. My Battery Tender came with the attachment as well.

Brad

Old 06-21-2013, 08:23 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 753 Likes on 461 Posts

Below is a link to the one I have. Purchased two last year at Wally World and used them on two bikes all winter without issues. It comes with a plug if your bike doesn't already have one.

For $17, I don't think you can beat it.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Schumacher...arger/13005742

BTW- don't try to jump start the bike using the battery plug.
The bike pulls to many amps and the wire will heat up and melt in a second.
Trust me, I know

Last edited by Bluraven; 06-21-2013 at 08:26 AM.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:40 AM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Kap
Your Heritage probably already has an auxiliary plug already attached to the battery, check to see if it’s hanging near the oil tank. My Battery Tender came with the attachment as well.

Brad
My tender pigtail is left hanging behind right oil tank between oil tank and vertical frame. The metal terminal that is expose in the negative and does not hurt anything if it touches. It hangs loose and out of the way until I get back to my garage. It is best to leave it plugged in 24/7 when parked. The new tenders actually excercise the battery charge up and down to keep it fresh.

Old 06-22-2013, 07:18 AM
campdreamer47
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Been using this tender for 10 years...all winter long.

I hook this battery tender to the bike for six months evey winter for the last 10 years no issue whatsoever...comes with all you need to attach to your bike. Cannot over charge.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Battery-Tend...7158e2&vxp=mtr

Old 06-22-2013, 11:41 AM
cruzomatic
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

I own 7 battery tenders and they all work great. If it has a battery, it has a tender on it. I sometimes hook them up to my vehicles for a couple of days if they have been sitting for a while and they work wonders on them as well.

Heritage
Thunder Mountain Custom
boat (2 of them)
kids 4 wheeler
Lawn Tractor
Battery jump pack

Old 06-22-2013, 04:51 PM
Black Gator
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Both my bikes (FatBoy Lo & Street Glide) came with the Battery Tender "pigtails" already installed. Both are sitting happily in the garage right now with their little green lights glowing.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:31 AM
Greg Midi
Road Warrior
Received 1,969 Likes on 785 Posts

Originally Posted by Kap

Brad
I see a little connector hanging down over on the right side of the bike under the oil tank, I suppose this is that connector. Now I need to check some of the links folks are leaving here on tenders, pick one out and go get it.
Thanks everyone for the great info, as usual this is the go-to place!

Quick Reply: 2013 FLSTC & Battery Tender