Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UPGRADES to the scoot ... or changes, I should say

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 08:30 PM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Arrow UPGRADES to the scoot ... or changes, I should say

Did some changes to my bike today, been working on it for about a week.

I am waiting on soft 02 to make a hard swing arm bag out of aluminum but in the mean time, I was tired of having no way to carry things. Like an idiot, I sold my Leatherworks 312XL bag on here last year thinking I wouldn't need it. Dumb move, should have kept it and hard mounted it.

Anyway, I ran across this swingarm bag made by UNIK at a local cycle store. They were having a 30% off sale and I was in need for a swing arm bag. Get this, I paid $60 for it... score! Also, the nice thing about the bag is the back side is made of ABS plastic so I didn't have to buy a mounting plate (or make one), drilled 3 holes and was done. It took a few trips to the hardware store to get the spacing right but finally settled on using chrome spacers and the whole things looks very clean. I used 2 - 1" chrome spacer on all 3 mounts and then used a 1/2" chrome spacer on the top left and bottom because they sit back further than the top right (which holds the belt guard). At first, I bought 5/16" coupler nuts but wasn't feeling the look and I couldn't get the spacing right. The chrome spacers look very nice though and go with the rest of my shining bike. And because I used 2 of the 1" chrome spacers on each mounting point, I was able to keep my chrome axle covers! The whole set up is SOLID as a rock.

Here is a link to the bag but I bought it from a local shop. The link is to a right side bag, mine is left. http://www.leatherboundonline.com/Un...ag_p/u9550.htm

So I have $60 in the bag and about $25 - $30 (6 1" chrome spacers at $3 each, 2 of the 1/2" chrome spacers that were about $2.25 each, 3 of the 3-1/2" bolts then regular washers and 6 fender washers). So everything was under $100.... bag and hardware.

If soft 02 ends up still doing the hard bag, I can still use all my hardware and just sell the bag. I don't think it is quite as nice as the Leatherworks 312XL but that is mainly because of shape but to me, it certainly doesn't look bad and considering it has an ABS plastic back, it made it EASY to do. The bag itself is pretty nice and does have the quick release straps like the Leatherworks bag.

In the pics, you will see I also decided to move my license plate to the right side.... mainly so I could keep my chrome axle covers. I made SURE there was enough clearance this time (if you care, search for my topics on how I damaged my fender last year by using a different license plate holder and it didn't clear my fender and damaged it pretty bad... in fact, $250 worth of bad. LOL)

Here are some pics:

Old 07-01-2013, 08:32 PM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member

Next project... fix my headlight from bouncing all over the friggin place.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:57 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,784 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Looks good man! Good luck with the headlight.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:00 PM
Spicy_Mchaggis
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that is one nice looking bike man... props..

Old 07-02-2013, 07:45 AM
black01
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I like it. What plate holder is that? I have been looking at some to change out to. I have one a friend made,but I do not like it.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:33 AM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by QC
Looks good man! Good luck with the headlight.
Thanks, I'm gonna need all the luck I can get it! Lol

Originally Posted by Spicy_Mchaggis
that is one nice looking bike man... props..
Thanks man!

Originally Posted by black01
I like it. What plate holder is that? I have been looking at some to change out to. I have one a friend made,but I do not like it.
The holder itself is a road6customs curved axle mounted plate but I used a Kuryakyn swingarm plate bracket holder on it because road6customs didn't have a swingarm mount for their holder since its meant to to on the axle.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:57 AM
Salami
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome bike,love the color!!

Old 07-02-2013, 11:01 AM
golfmech
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice. Great looking bike.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:51 AM
not_so_newb
Elite HDF Member
Received 822 Likes on 478 Posts

nice looking mods , and they don't make your bikes *** look fat !

Old 07-02-2013, 04:30 PM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by not_so_newb
nice looking mods , and they don't make your bikes *** look fat !
HA! Thanks!

Quick Reply: UPGRADES to the scoot ... or changes, I should say