Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Garage Door opener kit issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 01:30 PM
BadBilly49
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HD Garage Door opener kit issues

Sooo...I recently installed the Harley Davidson Garage Door opener Kit and have run into issues with the Transmitter not working properly.
It initially works fine, and the little indicator light on the unit comes on when the headlight switch is toggled. However, after two or three times the transmitter light no longer comes on and the transmitter stops transmitting!!! Bummer!!!
I wired this unit myself, taking pains to do it right and careful, so I know it's NOT the wiring job...However...I did wire it to the same power source off of the fuse block (As recommended in the instructions) as my GPS Garmin 550 that's also wired off that same circuit. Question...Could the Garmin 550 be causing a conflict with the Garage Door opener transmitter?
I talked with the Dealership, and they suggested I wire up the GPS straight off the battery (The unit does have an On/Off switch that will need to be turned off manually so as not to kill the battery when not plugged in to a charger) but the Garage Door opener transmitter needs to be connected to an "Ignition on" 2 amp fused circuit, so it's not too complicated to re-wire it if necessary. So...My question is: Does anyone know if the Garage door opener and the Garmin GPS CAN'T share the same power source?

Old 07-06-2013, 03:36 PM
BadBilly49
Novice

After some careful Trial and Error experimentation, I believe I discovered one of the problems...The Transmitter on the HD Garage Door kit MUST be wired to a DEDICATED 2 amp source!!! Nothing else must share the circuit!
Mine was sharing the circuit with a Garmin Zumo 550 that for some reason was in conflict with it! Once I separated the two...things started working properly!
The second problem I am experiencing is poor range from either the transmitter or the receiver's ability to pick up the signal. Need to experiment some more to find out what exactly the issue is.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:27 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 260 Likes on 135 Posts

On some lift motors, the proximity of the receiver to the motor can mess with the signal. I have the HD opener and have the receiver mounted on the wall by the door and it works just fine. I had to extend the wires about 2', but it doesn't seem to affect the operation. Try moving the receiver further away from the lift motor.

In my instructions it did say to use a separate power source for the transmitter.
I have a power block on my bike with separate connections for each accy, but it has it's own single power source and that seems to work fine.

Old 12-04-2013, 06:26 PM
BRUNOS09FLHX
Stage I

I am not having that issue BadBilly49, but what I have is a HD gararge kit (installed on my 09 FLHX by Harley) that worked with my Chamberlin Lift Master, and now I have a Lift Master My Q unit and it will not work. Could there be a incompatible issue. I have tried everything. Has any one run across this problem ?

Old 12-06-2013, 08:12 PM
rmc115
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by BRUNOS09FLHX
I am not having that issue BadBilly49, but what I have is a HD gararge kit (installed on my 09 FLHX by Harley) that worked with my Chamberlin Lift Master, and now I have a Lift Master My Q unit and it will not work. Could there be a incompatible issue. I have tried everything. Has any one run across this problem ?
I had the same issue when i got a new wayne dalton opener. tech support said no way it would work. I ended up taking a wayne dalton remote and soldered the 2 wires from HD unit to the open/close buttons on remote, so when triggered it was the remote doing the signal. I have found moving the base unit helped reception. Mike

Old 12-11-2013, 07:35 PM
Michael knowles
Tourer

Ya, reception or other factors. DC voltage is DC voltage the only problem would be blowing fuse due to overloaded circuit demand. On an oscilloscope DC voltage is a flat line.

Old 12-11-2013, 08:09 PM
Michael knowles
Tourer

I'm interested in purchasing just looking for comments about satisfaction.
Separate 2 amp supply? Everything on your bike is on the 12 volt DC supply. If you connected everything to the battery no fuses it would be the same as installing a two amp fuse for your remote. The system is direct current constant voltage. The fuses are to protect for a direct short to ground, "ie, we got blue smoke happening". So you could have one fuse rated for all of the required load or have various circuits with lessor loads with smaller fuses to protect burning out the entire wiring system.

Old 12-11-2013, 08:21 PM
Michael knowles
Tourer

Billy
The 2 amp fuse is to protect the rest of your bike from a ground short. The unit requires a certain amount of current & any over demand breaks the fuse. Ie a short to ground. The fuse is protecting the rest of your bikes DC circuits.
I hope this helps,

Old 12-11-2013, 08:32 PM
Michael knowles
Tourer

Never wire any DC circuit directly to battery without fuse protection.
My friend left a charged battery in the back of pu with golf clubs. Drove down a bumping road, clubs got loose & managed to short out the positive/negative terminals on battery,back of truck on fire!!! Welded his golf shoes to the clubs. Right out of Caddy Shack stuff.