Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Softail Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.

Welcome to HDForums.com!

P

Old 07-06-2013, 12:58 PM
One Of The Regulars
Default Luggage Rack Platform/Plate Extension?

I have a standard chrome luggage rack on my Heritage. On normal days, it is fine.

However, when loaded up with luggage for long trips, the weight of the luggage will cause the sides to sag as well as the outer edge. Over a period of time, it just keeps sagging more, losing space inside the bag.

Is there an extension platform out there that will not harm the chrome on the luggage rack? I figure I need up to about 18"w by 10" deep to keep my Ultra Tour bag from sagging. I was going to make one but figured I would see some ideas first.

Here is a photo I took on a roadside lunch break...the bottom bag is sagging over the luggage rack:

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by Biggerfoot; 07-06-2013 at 03:29 PM..
Old 07-06-2013, 05:00 PM
Extreme HDF Member

I have the same problem with a bag on my Heritage. I haven't gotten around to fixing it yet, since I only use the rack, backrest and passenger seat for extended trips when I need a large bag. I planned on securing a 1/4" or 3/8" piece of plexiglass to the inside bottom of the bag to stffen the bag. No harm done to the rack this way.
Old 07-06-2013, 05:18 PM
One Of The Regulars

Quote:
Originally Posted by BARACU View Post
I have the same problem with a bag on my Heritage. I haven't gotten around to fixing it yet, since I only use the rack, backrest and passenger seat for extended trips when I need a large bag. I planned on securing a 1/4" or 3/8" piece of plexiglass to the inside bottom of the bag to stffen the bag. No harm done to the rack this way.
That sounds like a good idea too. Plus you would not need to worry about the external rear straps. I am wondering if it would cause the entire bag just to tilt down at an angle though? I strap mine on the front side but still get the tilt down due to weight.

Do your side pouches sag too? I carry a couple of water bottles so they sag some.

My problem is only with extended trips too.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:36 AM
One Of The Regulars

I guess I was using the wrong search terms. I did find that Kuryakyn has a support to deal with the issue. It is pretty much what I was picturing.

The various reviews are fairly positive in that it works. eBay has it for $40.

http://www.kuryakyn.com/products/162...ng-bag-support
Old 07-07-2013, 09:36 AM

P