Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bye Bye Breakout?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 07:51 PM
BlessedHellride
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Bye Bye Breakout?

I've had the Breakout for about 6 weeks now and love just about everything about it, modding it a bit to fit, of course. The only negative is riding two up, even with the upgrade sundowner seat and pillion. So naturally, since I bought a new bike the woman wants to ride more than ever before. WTF?? Plus, I really miss my first HD - '04 Heritage, see pics. The weird thing is, both bikes are on the same frame yet the BO can't handle two-up very well comfort-wise. I think its due to the chopped fender.
I'm leaning toward selling the BO back and re-incarnating my first love Heritage, there is just something about that bike that calls to me. But when I walk in the door at the dealer they have a bad *** black Road Glide Custom with 21" chrome RC Comp front wheel and chromed front end parked right next to the Heritage. So, I go to the dealer and talk a little turkey about my dilemma and they'll of course buy the BO back to get me into a more comfortable model for two ppl. Me and my girl take both the Heritage and RG out for a ride and we find that the RG rides like a caddy at speed, provides plenty of room between us, but at idle shakes like a mother. Plus, there's more buffeting on it than riding the softail without a windshield.
So, for the same amount of $ to buy a stock FL and re-incarnate the Heritage I can get the RG. Or, for no $ I can leave the b!tch at home. I'd ask for advice but I think I know what you'd guys would say, but I'm seriously torn. RG ride and radio? Strip down capability of FL? Or mod the seats/bar/riser of the BO until it fits? right now the FL has the edge.

Attached Thumbnails Bye Bye Breakout?-right-full.jpg   Bye Bye Breakout?-img_1171.jpg   Bye Bye Breakout?-img_1175.jpg   Bye Bye Breakout?-img_1182.jpg  

Last edited by IzzoQuazzo; 07-10-2013 at 09:16 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:10 PM
kozy22
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

1. What are they going to give you on the Breakout
2. You can always make a softail into a bagger, but a bagger is a bagger.
3. Take your wife out of the picture for a sec and decide what bike you like best, then do your best to make bike comfy for her.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:15 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

You're selling that bike? Are you nuts? I'd give mine to have it. I'd change the bars back to original. But...

ARE YOU NUTS???

Old 07-10-2013, 09:25 PM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

For a lot of two up touring the road glide is the best of the bunch followed by the heritage. There has been a lot of comparisons between softails and tourers and I really don't understand the comparison. For some of us there is nothing better than a softail but if the road glide fits you better I say go for it. It's certainly is a great bike and really comfortable for your passenger. Softails has that classic 1936 knucklehead look to them and the ride is just so simple, smooth, effortless, and fun. Good luck with your choice dude

Old 07-10-2013, 09:30 PM
2010Deluxeguy
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

put an aftermarket windshield on the RG and get used to the idle vibration...chicks dig it anyway haha

Old 07-10-2013, 09:32 PM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love my softail, BUT.... My road glide is hands down a better ride. My wife wouldn't even ride the crossbones after I got the TRX. I will say in stock form, the road glide can be a little disappointing as far as wind, but hell, it's a motorcycle. I run the 12" wind splitter, lower fairings, and the 35 dollar wind deflectors that go between the tank and the fairing. It is awesome. Someone will surely chime in saying you shouldn't have to modify anything to make it a better ride, but it is so subjective to height, torso length, etc that there is no way MOCO could make it a completely universal fit. Good luck with your choice!!!

Old 07-10-2013, 09:43 PM
gamble71
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 27,619 Likes on 9,195 Posts

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
You're selling that bike? Are you nuts? I'd give mine to have it. I'd change the bars back to original. But...

ARE YOU NUTS???

You're nuts... I'd take your bike over a breakout anyday. I find the breakout to be a fad... few more months and it'll go the way of the crossbones.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:52 PM
Chaparro78
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlessedHellride
I've had the Breakout for about 6 weeks now and love just about everything about it, modding it a bit to fit, of course. The only negative is riding two up, even with the upgrade sundowner seat and pillion. So naturally, since I bought a new bike the woman wants to ride more than ever before. WTF?? Plus, I really miss my first HD - '04 Heritage, see pics. The weird thing is, both bikes are on the same frame yet the BO can't handle two-up very well comfort-wise. I think its due to the chopped fender.
Umm, well....How big are you guys? Wife rides on back of my breakout on the stock seat with no issues. We were on it past 2 weekends and she is good to go. We are coming off riding 2 up on sports bikes, so it's just more comfortable now. All she wants is a sissy bar for more security but she was fine with the stock seat. That sundowner is huge, takes away from the bike I think but that's just my opinion.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:55 PM
Chaparro78
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gamble71
You're nuts... I'd take your bike over a breakout anyday. I find the breakout to be a fad... few more months and it'll go the way of the crossbones.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:55 PM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,565 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Too easy,go with the Glide.

Quick Reply: Bye Bye Breakout?