Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 Fatboy TC ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 05:12 PM
Hey Zeus
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Fatboy TC ?'s

I just picked up a 2001 Fatboy with 4300 miles on it. It is fairly stock with a set of Harley (Screamin Eagle) slip ons and rejet (carbed bike). I have no complaints with this bike other than one issue which I know has been addressed a hundred times but I just needed some simple feedback......The power band for a stock twin cam is more than acceptable, the pickup, decel, idle, etc is fine, however.......upon accel or at constant load (steady 2000 rpms or greater) there seems to be a lot of valve train noise coming from beneath the tank. I see a lot of fellas (ad ladies) just cant stant the racket, but that doesnt bother me as much as what may be happening on the interior of the powerplant. If I knew all was ok and that's just how a twin cam sounds I'd live with it. I just need reassurance nothing negative is happening on the interior and one day its just gonna grenade on me!
I have heard mixed opinions on types of oil including one fella using a 60 wt oil in his twin cam. Ive used 60 wt in my shovelhead and it really did deaden most of the engine noise.
Is this recommended to use a heavier weight oil on these twin cams? I checked with the dealer and there was no campaign or recall on my bike and as I said she really does run terrific but just really noisy.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.