Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New guy here with a few comments

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 07:25 PM
Carolina Joe
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New guy here with a few comments

I introduced myself several days ago and received numerous warm welcomes. For those that didn't see it I am a A 59 yo, male rider from SC. I have been away from bikes for a quarter of a century after riding from age 14 to 36. All my previous rides were metric. Not a week went by that I didn't want another motorcycle. I quit riding at 36 because I felt the handwriting was on the wall for my riding with a bad ending. Back then I worked hard, partied hard and couldn't stay off the damn bike while drinking. I had a mishap that woke me up with minor injuries (luckily) so I fixed the bike and traded it off for a 4 wheeler. I always promised my self that when the partying stopped I would get another bike.

I took care of the problem many years ago and kept telling myself I would get another bike "soon". Years passed and it dawned on me that if I was to ever enjoy riding again it needed to be now.

I looked a lot and settled on the Slim. I was going to buy a new bike, but found a sweetheart deal on a 2013 model with approx. 650 miles on the clock. Nothing had been changed from stock but the owner had a set of passenger floor boards and a set of tribal inserts to go with it and a two-up seat, Sundowner, I believe. It also came with a transferable 5 year warranty from Harley.

I've had the Slim long enough now to have made some pretty good observations and decisions for simple changes, Thanks to this forum, I have had many questions answered without having to ask.

I was drawn to this bike because of the great look. Somehow it comes closest to my mental image of a Harley. There's lots of great looking Harleys out there . Many I would like to have but being realistic the price and look suited my taste and personality.

I do want to change a few things and the first that needs attention is the sound. I don't want real loud, just a good deep throaty sound that I can hear with the helmet on. I've decided to do slip ons and the two closest dealers are pushing V&H straight shots and Rush slip ons. What do you guys think? Also, a little later I will add a new, higher volumn air cleaner to let it breath better. From what I've read, I will probably add fl-vied at the same time the the a/c change is made. Does this sound about right to you folk?

I love the look of this ride and don't want to change the basic look. I'm glad it's an easy and quick change to the 2 up seat because I do like the stock solo seat look better. I ride solo most of the time so this helps. Wife does want a back rest, sissy bar with a pad and I looked at the Harley removable quick disconnect type. It requires relocating the turn signals. Anyone know of a better solution. I probably wouldn't mind a different solution that could be left on if it doesn't require relocating the signals. Any suggestions are appreciated.

I like the idea of a windshield or windvest for long rides. Preferably something easy off/on. Suggestions here would be appreciated too.

I can't believe the power of this scooter. I have no problems wanting more out of this bike because it seems to have plenty of juice, even two up. If I gain some by changing the sound and breathing then so be it, I won't grumble. I do want to figure something out regarding carrying a rain suit and some other things like a couple changes of clothes when we decide to go off over night or longer. Suggestions appreciated on this, just remember I like the stock look of this bike and don't want a bunch of permanent changes to it.

I've been taking it nice and slow (not holding up traffic slow) and getting accustomed to watching traffic like a hawk again. I have always been a defensive driver, but I've turned it up to max while riding and it has already paid off for me by being able to avoid a couple crashes with drivers asleep at the wheel. I'm going to a local Harley dealership next week to check into a course they are offering. I'll see what that turns out to be and maybe even look into another advanced rider course nearby.

I know this is long and I promise not to do it again. Thanks for reading and hopefully yous guys can offer some insights into my questions. Stay safe and I hope to meet you on the road. I'll be the greybeard on the denim Slim with the great big smile ! CJ out

Old 07-17-2013, 07:36 PM
Jerm83
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my slim for a lot of the same reasons!
Mufflers- i loved my V&H slip ons. They have good sound and in my opinion are just loud enough without going to a full replacement exhaust.

Windshield- I do not have one and not sure if i will, but some have ran the harley kit.I would probably go to memphus shades. I was thinking about their batwing for my slim since it will only be on for long rides.

I had a swingarm bag, but i corner too hard and ripped the stitches out of the bottom. I now have a set of leather throw over bags that only go on for long trips and they work well for me. Can carry rain suit or rain gear in bags.

Air Cleaner- I ran the Arlen Ness Big Sucker and I love it! It is very well priced too.
If you do intake and mufflers, you will need to do something about the computer tune. Aftermarket tuner is one option.

Hope this helps. Enjoy the Slim!

Old 07-17-2013, 10:12 PM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Welcome aboard and welcome back to riding. I only have a few comments on your thread. 1st, if you want a deeper more throaty sound and a gain in performance I would look into a 2 into 1 pipe, Python or Fatcat. Thats just my opinion and thoughts on that. As for windshield and saddlebags? I would go with quick attach/detach. You can pop them on and off in no time flat. If it were I that just got that bike my 1st change would be the Shotgun Shock.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:37 PM
Carolina Joe
Cruiser

Thanks for the comments thus far. I really have not thought about suspension mods as I have not perceived a need for up-grades in that area. I have read posts that mentioned the shotgun shock but I know very little about it other than it was mentioned regarding lowering the bike.

I have 2 titanium rods and 8 screws with other plates and wires of the same material attached to my lumbar spine (fused) at levels L-3 through L-5/S-1. I wouldn't want to loose swing arm travel for that reason, although the lowered bikes I have seen here do look boss. I bought the softail because it was recommended for a less harsh ride. Would the shotgun shock offer me any advantages I haven't read about?

Thanks again for your comments. I listen very closely to those who are more experienced and have actually used products that I am considering.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:41 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Welcome back!

Between the short shots and the rush, the rush will be much deeper sound, short shots are on the loud side with a sharp bite to them.

FL-ViED-10's will work for your bike stock, with slip-ons or with slip-ons and free flowing air filter.

Ride Safe - Ride Free!

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 07-18-2013, 12:28 AM
Jerm83
Advanced

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Welcome back!

Between the short shots and the rush, the rush will be much deeper sound, short shots are on the loud side with a sharp bite to them.

FL-ViED-10's will work for your bike stock, with slip-ons or with slip-ons and free flowing air filter.

Ride Safe - Ride Free!
He said slip on's not pipes. I went from the v&h slip on's to short shots. The slip on's are not too loud but sound good. The short shots are loud and I love them. I have not heard the rush to compare, but the v&h sound better and are louder than the screaming eagle slip on's in my opinion.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:38 AM
DevilDogg
Tourer

What part of SC are you in? Living here myself, I'd have no issue helping you with your backrest mod or anything else. I actually did one for the Rocker-C I put up here years ago using a v-rod's back rest and some southern ingenuity. Not too long afterwards, MoCo released a backrest for the Rocker that was the same thing just with mounting brackets designed for it. I can't help but think they have guys cruising this forum and taking our ideas but I guess that's what happens when you get so many badasses in one place. I've seen y'all post some amazing mods and everyone in my experience has been more than happy to help others achieve the same thing which is awesome in my book considering the selfish world we seem to live in. I know I personally had significant help from a member in squeezing a 280 on my rocker without buying Heartlands kit. I was told the entire way that it wouldn't work with the stock swing arm- jokes on them bc I saved an *** of money and got to use the wheels I wanted instead of being forced to use Heartlands over-prices "specially built wheel" that was "required" to fit a 280. He had the kit and took the time to get me the measurements I needed along with happily responding to all my pic requests of specific clearances

As far as the pipes, why not just to with a new set instead of slip ons? I understand if its a budget issue but IMO you'll be happier with an actual new set of v&h pipes. I've been considering changing mine out since everyone with a rocker seems to have the same ones now. I preordered my rocker and put the pipes on when I was told they wouldn't fit. I naturally called their BS being as its a 96in motor like was on any other softail and I didn't see anything frame wise that would prevent it. Well, once they later officially listed them as being compatable, every rocker pic I saw had them plus they've been on there since 08 so it's time for a change. So I don't know if you're interested in their Big Radius pipes and haven't personally looked into the differences of the newer motors but if I do I'd hook you up with a deal as I already have enough parts laying around my shop to almost build another bike.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:37 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The Shotgun would give you a more comfortable ride then you can imagine. Once you learn how to dial it in it's like riding on a cloud. A lot of people don't realize this but it also has great performance issues as in riding performance and it also addresses some safety issues as well. As far as you making "breathing" mods to your bike? I think the 2 into 1 pipes has the sound and performance issues you might be looking for. Weather you like the looks of them though that is totally up to you which way you go. It is also my opinion that if and when you do address your intake and exhausts mods that a Dyno tune would be in order too. Good luck Dude and pictures when your done would be great too!

Old 07-18-2013, 10:09 AM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

I run VH slash cut slip ons with VH quiet baffles on my 2013 Slim. The baffles actually make the sound more throaty and lower the volume just a tad. Still much higher volume than stock. Sounds like a Harley should for sure. I think that set up is right there in terms of the volume and exhaust note you're looking for.

Eastern Performance Cycles did me right on the price, if you like to save a little dough.

Speaking of dough, the Shotgun Shock is $1,300 to $1,500. I know people who run them swear by them, but that remains a pretty big investment. Personally, I'm probably going to wait till I pay off my bike to do it. Not too much further for me to go.

The HD sissy bar can be modded with a grinder so you don't have to do the turn siggy relocate. Not sure if you have that inclination. You could also buy a sissy bar for the Slim from Bowman Welding. Search them on Ebay. That's what I run on my bike. It's not detachable, but sounds like you don't care if it is or not.

If you only need occasional storage of things like rain suits, I recommend an army rucksack or something similar to lash to your sissy. If you need it all the time, I recommend an oversized swingarm bag.

I think you're right to keep the basic lines of the Slim intact and not mod too much. It looks great that way. Here's a few pics of some of the items I mentioned on my bike:

Good luck man!

Last edited by SoCalSoftailSlim; 07-18-2013 at 10:15 AM.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:17 AM
shopewell
Road Master

I have the v&h 3" slip ons and it produces a real nice sound. I really don't intend on getting a full exhaust system. I'm pretty happy with how the bike runs and looks.

As far as fuel management, I went with the fuel moto pc v. I did the stage one twin cam air cleaner. I can't speak for the vied or xied but I've been pretty happy with the pc v. Little bit more cash but if I change my mind and switch out the exhaust the pc v can handle it. A lot of guys push for the power vision but that's a little overkill for just stage one.

I have a mustang seat with detachable pillion on my bike. I have floorboards as well that I put on when the OL wants to ride. Overall not a bad seat. The rider seat is very comfortable. I know when we're hitting bumpy back highways my OL has a little hard time with it. I will eventually rig up a detachable sissy bar for her. As far as the shotgun shock, I would love to have but really since I spend most the time on the bike solo the stock system is plenty cushy for me.

The windshield I can't help on...just not a windshield kind of guy. Enjoy your new ride!

Quick Reply: New guy here with a few comments