Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

At what RPM/Speed do you start to really feel the 103B buzz

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 05:58 AM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeZ
I got tired of the buzz on my Heritage and traded it.
And now you have the shake and your rear view mirrors are useless at a stop light. I never see softail owners posting anything negative on the touring, sportster, or Dyna forum but we get all the different Harley model owners posting hate here. Your not the first and certainly won't be the last. The "buzz" and the limited lean angle is all the haters have to go on and if a buzz and limited lean angle is all anyone has to worry about buying a softail than they can feel pretty good about their purchase.

Old 09-17-2014, 06:59 AM
EagleRay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Tailsfrommycrib
The "buzz" and the limited lean angle is all the haters have to go on and if a buzz and limited lean angle is all anyone has to worry about buying a softail than they can feel pretty good about their purchase.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:57 AM
martin10
Road Warrior
Received 504 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by Tailsfrommycrib
And now you have the shake and your rear view mirrors are useless at a stop light. I never see softail owners posting anything negative on the touring, sportster, or Dyna forum but we get all the different Harley model owners posting hate here. Your not the first and certainly won't be the last. The "buzz" and the limited lean angle is all the haters have to go on and if a buzz and limited lean angle is all anyone has to worry about buying a softail than they can feel pretty good about their purchase.
Well said. I think some people are under the impression the B motors will be smooth as silk throughout the rpm range. They hear balanced motor and expect perfection. Just my take on it. And by the way. I test rode a Dyna Switchback and that was by far the worst vibration I have ever felt in a motorcycle.

Old 09-19-2014, 08:38 PM
the bad bagger
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a Road Glide for 6 years and had to sell it during tough times. I found a Fatboy at a good price so I bought it. The Fatboy has a little bit of a buzz in the hand grips, floor boards and seat but I find the Fatboy easier to control which makes for a better ride IMO. I changed the seat and no more buzz the hand grips and floor boards are not that noticeable to make it uncomfortable. The seat was horrible.

Last edited by the bad bagger; 09-19-2014 at 08:50 PM.
Old 09-20-2014, 02:36 PM
the blob
Road Warrior
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

My 88' fatboy is buzzless until 60 mph then it buzzes untill i pass 63 or so mph, then its smoooth. Wierd huh?

Old 09-21-2014, 07:27 AM
Daytona Fat Boy
Road Warrior
Received 187 Likes on 151 Posts

If nothing else, this thread has shown me that I don't ride at anywhere near the high RPMs that a lot of the posters do. Of course, I don't do much interstate riding. Most rides are in town or back roads.

Old 09-21-2014, 05:44 PM
ftworthcowboy
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have never felt the "Buzz" at any speed on mine either.

Old 09-21-2014, 05:59 PM
Riderteck
Advanced

The buzz just reminds you that you're riding a HD. For the people that don't feel the buzz, stop riding your bikes like little girl's haha!

Last edited by Riderteck; 09-21-2014 at 06:03 PM.
Old 10-21-2014, 03:10 PM
Starider
4th Gear
Default Buzzing?

I guess Im just lucky. I do not get allot of buzz at any speed.
I reduced the previous vibration by making my own muffler mount mod. Nothing fancy and then I loosened the front engine mount screws and added washers the fill the space between the mount and frame. These two small inexpensive fixes reduced the vibes across the whole RPM range.
The real problem is the engine itself. We can blame HD for not taking the initiative to balance the Dyna engine or at least try to reduce the vibration.
I say enjoy it or trade it.
I rode a new Indian the other day. Smooth as a boat on calm water.
If I wasnt upside down on my Switchback Id jump ship.

Old 10-22-2014, 07:27 PM
RnR
Advanced

I was at a HD ride day. Rode 7. 3 softails. 3 dynas. 1 VRod. Only the Dynas were buzzy. But a nice buzziness. Like Harleys did from my past. Softails are super smooth, like the touring series.

Quick Reply: At what RPM/Speed do you start to really feel the 103B buzz