Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where are all the big wheel softails?

Old 08-21-2013, 08:49 PM
dsonnenberg
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where are all the big wheel softails?

Was in Sturgis this year and all I seen was baggers with huge front wheels. I have also been searching online and have not found too many softails online with 26" front wheels. So where are all the big wheel softails? I have a 07 standard and was thinking of putting a 26" front wheel on and looking for information. Like would a 26" fit on my bike without having to rake it? Or how much rake would I need? Any info and pictures are greatly appreciation. Here is a pic of my bike as she sits now

Attached Thumbnails Where are all the big wheel softails?-softy-07.jpg  
Old 08-22-2013, 08:02 AM
black01
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I like the look of bigger wheels. I have been kicking aroud the idea of a 23'' on mine. Only thing stopping me is i travel alot. if I have tire trouble I would be parked for a few days. Nobody stocks the uncommon sizes.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:55 AM
klf33
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Story808 Legendary Nighty has a 23" front. it looks amazing.

Old 08-22-2013, 01:09 PM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I have always been the odd man out when it comes to this subject for this type of a mod but I seen a guy just put a 26" wheel on his SG down at the shop a few weeks back. I thought it looked silly to be honest but that is just MHO. I am constantly asked "when am I going to throw a 21" or 23" wheel on my bike especially now that I have put these pipes and these bars on my bike. My answer is always the same, never! My bike, the Deluxe is a "nostalgia" bike, and there was no such thing back in the day. I think this bike screams "big fat tires". To put a 26" on your bike you have to have it racked and I have never seen a stock bike, a stock frame, that looks right when it has been raked out. This is all just MHO too.

Old 08-22-2013, 05:30 PM
dsonnenberg
Tourer

Originally Posted by klf33
Story808 Legendary Nighty has a 23" front. it looks amazing.
Story808 bike is a beauty!! How much rake am I going to need for a 26? I don't want to weld I would like a bolt on triple tree.

Old 08-22-2013, 05:35 PM
dsonnenberg
Tourer

Originally Posted by tbonetony06
I have always been the odd man out when it comes to this subject for this type of a mod but I seen a guy just put a 26" wheel on his SG down at the shop a few weeks back. I thought it looked silly to be honest but that is just MHO. I am constantly asked "when am I going to throw a 21" or 23" wheel on my bike especially now that I have put these pipes and these bars on my bike. My answer is always the same, never! My bike, the Deluxe is a "nostalgia" bike, and there was no such thing back in the day. I think this bike screams "big fat tires". To put a 26" on your bike you have to have it racked and I have never seen a stock bike, a stock frame, that looks right when it has been raked out. This is all just MHO too.
tbone, thanks for your thoughts. Your bike looks great. For me I love the look of those big wheels and hopefully one day I will have one on my standard

Old 08-22-2013, 05:46 PM
fcsallan
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know a 23" wheel on a buddies standard took 4" over forks and he added 6° in the neck to keep the trail right. There is more than just a rake to figure.

I don't remember where I saw it but there was a calculator on one of the custom sites to figure out the correct geometry for the front end to keep everything in close to factory spec. Maybe HHI but I'm not sure and can't look now. Maybe someone can post a link.

Old 08-22-2013, 06:21 PM
back again
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,767 Likes on 2,111 Posts

RBRacing has a trail and rake calc on it. About 7* trees for a 26".Depending on look you want to achieve 2" under to 4" over are numbers I keep seeing. Got a shop in town that is hammering out baggers left and right.Have yet to see a softail in the shop.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:53 PM
dsonnenberg
Tourer

Originally Posted by back again
RBRacing has a trail and rake calc on it. About 7* trees for a 26".Depending on look you want to achieve 2" under to 4" over are numbers I keep seeing. Got a shop in town that is hammering out baggers left and right.Have yet to see a softail in the shop.
Thanks for the info, checking it out now. Funny how only baggers are getting them, I figured someone would have done it on a softy. I have seen a couple of deluxes on this site with them, and they are sharp lookin!

Old 08-22-2013, 08:05 PM
AmishindianHD
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks too poser to me

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Where are all the big wheel softails?