Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for input on reservoir cover brake fluid leak fix

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 09:11 AM
notimeleft
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for input on reservoir cover brake fluid leak fix

I started ths new thread because I didn't get any input on a leak fix I tried. I posted it in an older thread. Anyway, to keep it short and sweet, I solved my front brake master cylinder reservoir fluid leak problem by reducing the fluid level in the reservoir such that, when the handlebars are turned full lock toward the jiffy stand, with the reservoir cover off, the fluid will not pour over the top of the reservoir. Seemed to work over night storage. Road it for three hours and no brake issues. the fluid level is about 5/8" lower than reservoir top when handlebars are level, but the fluid level is still way over the master cylinder. Also, the level indicator shows low fluid level. Any inputs regrading safety or brake operation? I realize I will need to remove the cover more often to check fluid level, but it is nice not to have brake fluid leaking all the time from around the gasket. I'm going to tackle my rear brake reservoir cover leak today. 2012 Softail Fatboy Lo

Old 08-26-2013, 09:43 AM
cmosentine
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a leaking front MC too. My fix was to put on a new MC cover. The newer MC cover has a much firmer gasket and does not deform anywhere near as much as the original. And like you, I made darn sure to clean all surfaces with denatured alcohol and then dry them completely. But unlike your experience, I was able to add fluid up to the recommended level without a problem.

Did you inspect the MC reservoir lip for scratches or burrs? Mine had some light scratches so I sanded it with 600 grit wet/dry on a flat surface to clean up the lip. Also, I have a brand new MC I would like to get rid of if you are interested.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:18 AM
jsimmons6703
Cruiser

My front MC was leaking after I did my ape install. I got a new cap and it still leaked some.
After looking around the internet I found that the torque spec is very important. If it's too loose or tight it will leak. Mines at the bottom end of the torque range, can't remember what it is off hand though.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:38 PM
notimeleft
Intermediate

I think my 2012 model has the upgraded gasket. The problem I notice with the design are the two breather holes in the cover. these are there to permit air to escape. when the bars are turned to lock, one of the breather holes is below the fluid level. It seems only a matter of time before the fluid migrates toward and out the breather hole.

I have the service manual; something like 12 inch pounds for the front and 6 inch pounds for the rear master cylinder. I just finger tighten them.

Thanks for the inputs.

Last edited by notimeleft; 08-26-2013 at 12:41 PM.